EU Citizen&South African - how do we immigrate to The Netherlands?

Hi everyone,

My partner and I are wanting to relocate to The Netherlands at the end of the year. We are both South African by birth, but I hold a British passport.

I have been told by law firms that we wont be able to get my hubby in easily, without their help and then on various other sites it 'appears' to be fairly easy based on the fact that im an 'EU Citizen' which entitles him to be there with me.

If anyone has made the move, and was in a similar situation, help, advice and guidance would be SO appreciated.

Thanks

Amy

Hi Amy and welcome to the Forum.

At the top of this page is our Handy Tools link, this will take you to our "Expat Guides" that may answer many questions you may have.

Shouldn't be a problem; as for the lawyers advice, well I guess they would say that.

The process is described on the Dutch Government Immigration (IND) website; this link will take you there.

One word of warning; as a UK passport holder, the UK are currently negotiating their withdrawal from the EU, when this happens (29 March 2019), it will almost certainly stop you getting into any EU country based on the fact you hold an EU passport.  The current situation is that it appears that those already in another EU country will be permitted to stay, but this has not been formally agreed yet.

Hope this helps.