Living in Helsinki

You are an expatriate living in Helsinki, or you used to  work and live in Helsinki.

Share your expat experience!

How would you describe life in Helsinki?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find a job, and an accomodation? 

Is it complicated to make friends in Helsinki?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Helsinki?

Thanks in advance for your participation

Helsinki is a fabulous city to live in.The transport is good and unlike the UK it funtions perfectly.Helsinki was voted the 2nd safest city in The World and I believe it is well earned.The city is also spotlessly clean thanks to the night workers who busy themselves cleaning the streets.
The other point to mention,is the mentality of the Finnish People goes along way towards keeping Helsinki & other cities clean and peacefull.Eight times out of ten;if you through the smallest peice of litter on the gtound and a Finn sees you,he or she will pull you up,to remind you to pick it up annd find a proper rubbish bin.

I have lived happily in Helsinki for 21 years and I could not imagine returning to the UK again;););)

Hi,

Am working as senior financial accountant in Capgemini,

I have been visited to finland once and i liked the country and the people.

I would like to work in finland. Can you please find out a job for me.

I would appreciate it if i get a reply for this message.

Thanks a lot for your help

Hi,

I am from India and i want to relocate to Finland with my wife and Kid. Can any body tell me how much is the expenditure per month for my family in Helsinki (or) Tampere?

I just live moderately.

well in Helsinki it depends where you live. The more central you are the more you pay. I live in a studio apartment in near central Helsinki and I pay 620 euros per month, which is extreme. But of course my place is privately owned which is where I went wrong.... but you can find bigger apartments in the surrounding suburbs for 500 euros with 2 bedrooms... just got to know where to look.

Any advice on good neighborhoods?

Advice for living in Helsinki!
You will find the further from the city center the cheaper the flat prices.Saying that Munkkivuori can be reasonble and a nice quiet area with good connections.
You will find the Eatern parts of Helsinki to be cheaper.A 50 sq-meter flat costs approx 500 EU.Ruoholahti is a nice area and around Hertoniemi.
One area to stay a way from is Jakomäkts far out any ways
Greg