Dominican citizenship

I am a us citizen and like king to relocate to the dr.and am wondering if I can just apply straight for citizenship and not bother with the residency visa??? Second,,if I have an overstay fee stamp from the dr in my passport does that affect me applying and obtaining provisional visa?

Hello Mikbri,

Welcome to expat.com.

You need to be a legal resident of the Dominican Republic prior to applying for citizenship.

Since visas are given at Dominican consulates in your country of origin you would have already paid any overstay fees when returning to United States.

And what if I am marrying a Dominican ??? Does that direct to auto mix citizenship??

There is no automatic! While you qualify by way of marriage you have to do the process. First residency!!!

Please also note that you need to be married to a Dominican at least six months to qualify for residency through marriage.

Six months after obtaining the residency card you may apply for naturalization. The naturalization process may take over a year or two to complete.

Ok thank you ..would you be able to recommend some Dominican lawyers that could help me obtaining the residency visa??

Ok thank you for the info..also if I pay overstay fee am I still allowed to return back in to the dr?

Yes you are allowed back, no issue. I can recommend Wilson Rood  [email protected]  he speaks english perfectly, is in Santo Domingo and will take good care of you.  He goes by Billy!

Great..thank you so much planned..this is a great forum and very helpful information...one more question,,so even if I go stay for 2-3 years leave and come back for another 2,3,4,5...???? As long as you pay the overstay fee however many times,there's no problem in returning?