Living in Brittany

You are an expatriate living in Brittany, or you used to  work and live in Brittany.

Share your expat experience!

How would you describe life in Brittany?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find a job, and an accomodation? 

Is it complicated to make friends in Brittany?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Brittany?

Thanks in advance for your participation

A painter all my life, I recently wrote a memoir about the unforgettable years I lived in a remote village in Brittany in the 1960's. The title of the book is “A Gift from Brittany.” It was published last year by Gotham books and comes out next week in paperback.  Although the book tells of a time long ago, the story remains a moving and authentic portrait of this unique part of France and gives a reader a feeling for the region and its people, both then and now. The six years I lived there was a critical moment for the region, when the villagers' ancient way of life was catapulted, willingly or not, into the twentieth century.  The main theme of the book is my friendship with an elderly peasant woman who lived in the nearest farmhouse across the road.  My incredible good luck in becoming a part of this village and getting to know and grow close to Jeanne Montrelay changed the way I saw the world.

For those interested in knowing more about my experience, I invite you to visit my website, http://www.marjorieprice.com, where you will find an introduction to the book, excerpts, and photos of the village and villagers.

It's wonderful being able to share this experience with others who love Brittany as I do.

Thanks and kenavo,
Marjorie Price

hi Marjorie

Looks like a great book ...I'll go and have a look around Amazon to see if I can get it for a summer read :)

Penny Cooper,
Yes, it was complicated to settle down in Brittany at the beginning, I found it difficult for finding English friends and accommodation. Then I met one English real estate agent and that helped me a lot in settling here:) its awesome place:)