Medium term accommodation in Chiang Mai

Hi Folks
My name is John and my wife, Biene, and I are starting our retirement life with a 2 month stay in Chiang Mai, before heading off to Europe for Christmas.  We plan on returning to Thailand around February/March.

My research indicates that many apartments prefer to rent on 6-12 month leases.  What is the impact of staying for only a couple of months?  Is there still plenty of availablity?  We are looking for a 2 bed apartment in or close to the city.

Any advice would be gratefully received.  We recently spent about 10 days there and loved it, so very eager for our return.

Thanks
John

skullybee wrote:

My research indicates that many apartments prefer to rent on 6-12 month leases.  What is the impact of staying for only a couple of months?  Is there still plenty of availablity?  We are looking for a 2 bed apartment in or close to the city.

For a couple of month it is better to look at serviced appartment ( just google ), or through website like airbnb, homeaway, and any other websites for holidays, even in the well known websites for booking hotels, but cost will be very high.

For long term, you pay on top of monthly price, the utility bills, common fees, internet, tv, etc.... but when rent per day up to 30 days it is like hotel with everything including ( except changing bedsheet and cleaning )

To give you an idea in chiang mai, for example a small studio 30sqm will be rented for 690 THB/night and the same studio wil cost around 8,000 THB per month based on 12 months contract ( coeff 2.5 but sometimes the gap can be higher ).

A 2 bedrooms apartment for 1 month in serviced appartment can be quite expensive ( around 25,000 THB ( if you split the price between 4 peoples it can be ok for 1 month ), but I will better look to rent an home for this price range.

Thanks very much for that very useful information, Lucky!  I thought that might be the case, so I'll start looking for serviced apartment.

If you can get a lease for that short of time , you will pay top dollar. Average lease here in Chiang Mai is 12 months.