Moving to Mexico - is it safe to drive from Texas to Mexico City?

Hi all. I am going to be moving to Mexico City soon and I am trying to decide if I should drive there with all my stuff or if I should fly and have things shipped over. My route would likely be Laredo > Monterrey > San Luis Potosi > Mexico City. Would that be a safe drive to make with a car full of my belongings? Any tips to make it safer? Thanks!

vonshu wrote:

Hi all. I am going to be moving to Mexico City soon and I am trying to decide if I should drive there with all my stuff or if I should fly and have things shipped over. My route would likely be Laredo > Monterrey > San Luis Potosi > Mexico City. Would that be a safe drive to make with a car full of my belongings? Any tips to make it safer? Thanks!

Hi vonshu,

Many of us get rid of most of out stuff, especially furniture before we move, but if you are not sure, I would put the stuff in storage and fly. An added benefit would be not crossing a Texas border. They have the worst reputations risk wise.

Once you are here you may decide you don't actually need that stuff.

We just drove from Laredo to San Miguel de Allende with our 2 dogs last week, and never felt in danger. We stayed in Matehuala along the way. Crossing at Laredo on a Friday morning was a mistake.... 3 hrs to go thru customs and get a vehicle sticker. And we got there at 7 am . The cuotas (toll roads) were really nice. I would not think of driving in Mexico City, but each to his /her own desires!