Importing an electric motorbike into Vietnam (I live in Hanoi)

https://www.customs.gov.vn/SitePages/Ta … =en-USthemhttp://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-fx/
The whole thing will be $13000 (delivered in the US)

I want some facts about importing one of these (my one - i.e. not for resale).  I'm fed up of 'well, it depends on the customs officer' - surely Vietnam can do better than this!

So this is the government website concerning importing, specifically:  "- - - Electrically powered motorcycles" looks like this:
https://www.customs.gov.vn/SitePages/Ta … uage=en-US

It's interesting because if you buy from Australia / New Zealand, the duty is 5%.  Yet if you buy from ASEAN, the price is 30%, China is 45%, and the rest of the world is 60%
1. is the duty from Aus / NZ REALLY 5% - what's the real cost? guaranteed?
2. Does the product have to be actually Manufactured in Australia, or just assembled, or just BE LOCATED in Australia to qualify?

But that is my Plan B, my Plan A is to buy one of these bikes at a dealer in Rome, stick it on a Thai Airlines freight flight, and collect it in Hanoi - since this is a personal effect, definitely not for resale (how can I prove this?)
3. What are the chances of them trying to charge me a random tax (100%?) on the bike as it enters Noi Bai Airport via Thai Airlines?  Does it depend on the mood of the customs official?  I so hope someone will say "no".

pity you can't see the bike link - it's a Zero FX electric motorbike - based in California, though I don't know where they are manufactured / assembled (California?)

simplest2remember wrote:

pity you can't see the bike link

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-fx/

I can see the officials getting their knickers in a twist over one of these.  Not likely that they will they say no license required like the electric bikes that so many student's ride.  Will it be classified as below or over 150cc.  Based on the link, in terms of torque and HP it must be over.  A 150cc engine generates about 10hp at the crankshaft while this bike generates 27hp (20kW) and has a top speed of 137km/hr.

Although it looks to be designed as a dirt bike, one nice thing is that it may be clutchless which would great in city traffic.  The big downside would be range which is only 60 to 132 km depending on the model.  Not well suited for long trips.

^
A lovely technical post .. but is the bike fun to ride?

Fred wrote:

but is the bike fun to ride?

It could be a little jerky in the city but as a dirt bike it must be a tear.  The thing about electric motors is that they develop full torque instantly.  Acceleration from a standing start must be outrageous so much so that it might be hard to keep the front wheel down.  Look at the acceleration figures for the electric cars on the road today.  The Tesla model S stock can do 2.2 seconds to 60 mph.  It is true that high hp gasoline like Ferraris will take over at higher speeds but nothing touches electric for acceleration from standing.

Yep, it's fun.
I may well have hung up my leather but I fully recall fun puts technical specs into a very poor second.
Wouldn't mind a blast on one of those things one day.

Blowing a Porsche off at the lights would be a laugh and the light weight means easy to handle in the worst of conditions.

As for keeping the front wheel down, why is that a problem when most people attracted to this monster will want it in the sky half the time anyway?

Can't see any foolproof way of getting anything in AS A USED ITEM - and this makes a big difference, because if they accept it is yours, and is not for resale, then there is no tax.  But why would they do that?  There is plenty of money to be made taxing peoples belongings at the top rate on the way in.  The weird thing is that the product needs to be brand new in order for it to be allowed in in a taxable manner.  From what I can see it MIGHT work - but it's not worth the risk. I'll just keep burning my petrol and polluting the atmosphere in Hanoi like everyone else.  People are not going to give up their free customs money so easily.

The duty difference are due to trade agreements with Australia and New Zealand.

But the practical action for the laws are difficult and then registration may be an issue?

Maybe try to make your own version?

You know that it has been announced that a significant electric motorcycle manufacturing centre is being built in Hanoi(?) They are gearing up for production >300,000 motorcycles and 100,000 cars per year.

Well it looks like you came to a good conclusion.

While Vietnam is in the higher side of bureaucracy,  importing anything of value most places in the world would have the same issues.

My boat yard friends in Ireland don't have any products shipped commercially from US to them because they have no idea how much customs will levy or how long it will take.
Some parts they never see again.

Just had another boat friend wait three months for part in Mexico and then had to pay 2x it's value.   This is only after the shipper had guaranteed there would be no problem. 

So,  back to your dilemma,  sure it's possible,  but it's a big gamble too.

Good luck.

Create my own version? Of the bike? Or of the law? Neither would be a walk in the park. Lawmakers / enforcers are  I hardly likely to
I make importing a left field item easy (or cheap), I was just having a good moan.

Didn't know about any manufacturering plant coming soon to VN:).  I'll have to investigate, find out who will own it first of all.

would love a cleaner and less noisy alternative. However range is also important. Just came across this a few days ago. A bit retro style, but good range with modular commercial batteries.
boltmobility.com/appscooter

Also came across this LinkedIn article which also talks about the future and electric motorcycles/bikes in Vietnam.

linkedin.com/pulse/easy-riding-investment-opportunities-vietnams-erasmo-indolino

The Bolt's range and speed make it ideal for city riding but I wonder how long it takes to charge.

Just remembered why I've rarely used this expat.com website (will that one slip through do you think?). It's hard to have a conversation without linking things, and when the links are constantly under review - what's the point? Plenty of alternatives...

(BTW, I do appreciate there's probably less spam as a result, but it goes too far - just my opinion)

Spam spam everywhere!

I was particularly attracted to the ability to carry a full case of beer under the seat.  Not only that, there is an option that turns the under-seat into an active cooler using the batteries for power.  I guess it would cut into the range but that is OK since it would force you to sleep over wherever you drank the beer.  :one:joking:

You 100% right! For what I have the Internet if I can not us any link. If it spam dont klick it.............

Fred wrote:

The Bolt's range and speed make it ideal for city riding but I wonder how long it takes to charge.

The linked website says that the standard charger does 50km/hour and the optional ($639US) fast charger which seems to be built into the bike does 160KM/hr.  They don't state how many KWh but I guess it could be computed. 

The price of the bike varies greatly based on the number of battery modules from $3014 with only one module and a 2 Kw motor to $5578 with 6 modules and 7 Kw.  It seems in line with Vietnamese prices for top of the line Hondas and Piaggios but of course these prices have no import duties which we know could double the price.  This seems to be made in the Netherlands but it would be great if they set up a factory in Vietnam.  The price of gasoline seems to be somewhat subsidized in VN but the price of electricity definitely is. If widely adapted, it would also do wonders for air pollution in HCMC  and I assume Hanoi.

AustriaKarl wrote:

You 100% right! For what I have the Internet if I can not us any link. If it spam dont klick it.............

After a number of posts links are accepted without the need for review.
The Vietnam section has a massive spam problem so links are on hold for new members until looked at by the moderation team.

Don't worry, once you're active and not known as a spammer the 'under review' won't happen.

I'm having the exact same idea ... to import a Zero here.

Did you ever find out how it all works?

I see there's a dealer in BKK ...

Cheers!