What to wear in Tunisia (female attire)

Hi all,

Just interested to know the appropriate level of modesty for dressing in Tunisia. I travelled through Turkey last year and wondered if it might be similar to this. I found it was perfectly fine in the more touristy areas to show my legs/shoulders/arms and even wear tank tops with a little cleavage. But the further east I went, this seemed much less respectable and found I had to cover up more, I guess especially chest and shoulders.

What do people find is required in Tunisia for women? Someone mentioned not to wear shorts. What about skirts knee length or higher? And what about shoulders and cleavage - should these always be covered or does it depend on the area? I will be staying in Nabeul mostly but also expect to go elsewhere.

Thanks for your responses.

shineyvee

Hi shineyvee,

Welcome on Expat.com! ;)
We hope the other members' responses will be helpful to you.

Have a nice day
Armand

Thanks Armand :) I hope they will be helpful too, but no one is responding!

hi shine
well, tunisia in general (even in small inner villages) is very tolerant as we got used 2 tourists since ages now...besides, in big cities like tunis, sfax, sousse, it is very common 2 c girls dressin in "light"clothes...as a tunisian guy, i can say we always tend 2 flirt n some os us even embarass girls with looks or ompolite verbal behavior, but that never hindered girls from wearin what they want (of course non almost-naked clothes, lol)...but showin shoulders, belly, legs was never a problem i guess...of course it's preferable 2 avoid that in small inner areas (just like in turkey)...but even there, as long as they know u're a foreigner, they wouldn't even THINK badly)..concernin the coastal cities, i can assure u the dressin code is totally more open-minded than even the capital, etc...as u know, wherever u go in the world, cities near the sea r the most open-minded...so, in some beaches, expect even 2 c topless girls swimmin (mainly europeans, obviously), but nobody even dares 2 make any trouble...
i hope i was helpful
enjoy ur stay in sweet tunisia