How to save money in Singapore

Hello everyone,

Did you plan your budget before your move to Singapore? If so, how did you go about it?

How do you save money in your day to day life? Do you find there are any areas where you can't cut costs?

Do you have any tips about saving money in Singapore? For example, getting the best deals on accommodation, grocery shopping and dining out, the best value transportation, etc..

Are there any apps or websites that have helped you to save money?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Singapore consistently ranks among the most expensive cities in the world.
It is not easy to save, unless you are on a comprehensive expat package.
The most costly items are accommodation (rent), schooling and cars. You can save lots by renting just a sublet room (or sharing a flat with others), not sending your kids to international school and having no car (it is easy to live here without one).
On the other hand, public transport and even taxis are affordable and eating out in simple restaurants and hawker centres is cheap - it often costs more to cook yourself!

Hi priscilla!

I am Vincent, 25 this year. I am a Singaporean and I would like to share with you some tips on how to save up your money in Singapore.

Food expenses:
There are lots of food centers over here in Singapore. It can be found anywhere in Singapore, selling wide range of delicious local food! We call them as coffee-shops or simply "kopitiam" here in Singapore. Try to avoid dining at restaurants as their food can be pretty expensive. Dining in our local coffee shops is more than good enough to satisfy your taste buds!

Transport:
There are public buses and MRTs for you to take to literally everywhere in Singapore. They cost only a few dollars and cents per trip and budget wise, they are definitely better than taking taxis. They are also really convenient to travel to your destination as well! But if you are really onto saving cost, you may also download the transport app- Uber/Grab. The cost of their transport services are definitely cheaper than our local taxis.

Hope this help. Cheers!