How to save money in Puerto Rico

Captainculebra wrote:
Spencerazac wrote:

You can always harvest  iguana,  i've never had it before, but I've been told it's good meat,  and it seems like they're everywhere,  raise chickens grow your own food, be completely self-sufficient,  collect the water that falls on your roof into barrels for water storage, ECT....with a little imagination you can discover many ways to save

"Harvest Iguana". Funny.

They say Iguana "tastes like chicken" but every time I've eaten something that is said to "taste like chicken" but wasn't actually chicken....tasted really really really nasty. Like decayed old goat.

Personally.... chicken prepared P.R. style doesn't even taste like chicken... to me.
By the way - anyone living in Culebra that starves to death is either extremely lazy or very stupid because there are chickens everywhere....and Iguanas....which of course to those that like eatin lizzard-meat that "tastes just like chicken".

You may get run out of town if you eat somebody else chicken. :lol:

Living in Arizona, I  used to hunt elk and deer all the time,  you can  take the gamie taste away by soaking in buttermilk first, it  really does work, I'm ready to get some iguana on the grill

Spencerazac wrote:

Living in Arizona, I  used to hunt elk and deer all the time,  you can  take the gamie taste away by soaking in buttermilk first, it  really does work, I'm ready to get some iguana on the grill

I have heard of using lemon to get the gamely out, did not know about butter milk. They use buttermilk also for chicken in the south states I think

Maybe I'll bring my pellet rifle to PR and go on a iguana safari   :D

We have some big ones in the local area. 

Back in Montana we would have an annual hunters beast feast  -  venison, elk, bear, antelope,  - in Puerto Rico perhaps Iguana on the barbie?

Sitka wrote:

Maybe I'll bring my pellet rifle to PR and go on a iguana safari   :D

We have some big ones in the local area. 

Back in Montana we would have an annual hunters beast feast  -  venison, elk, bear, antelope,  - in Puerto Rico perhaps Iguana on the barbie?

Pellet rifle is the way to go. I am already working in lowering the population in my area.  :cool:

5mm blue streak should do the job!

Ill be a while before I have to deal with them, where you get a good pellet gun or rifle?

I bought mine second hand years ago.  But I have seen them on display for sale in PR, check tool and building materials stores, and of course the gun shops.

Best prices are in Amazon, mine was $95 years with prime shipping. The want way too much in the island for a pellet rifle ($300). I brought a .177 pellet rifle and it does the job  well.

Cool

There's a place in Bayamon that sells pellet rifles, but yea, they are expensive,  there's a place at the pulguero  here in Vega Baja that sells pellets specifically for hunting,  they advertise 1200 ft./s that's .22  velocity there gold color and when you shoot them there's a nice pop sound, you can definitely tell there faster

Are they regulated like regular weapons?

This one really looks cool. https://www.amazon.com/Raptor-Whisper-A … +gun+rifle

Here is the one I got:

Varmint Air Rifle .177 Cal

Don't know about the .177 Cal - mine is 5mm and has lever pump.  With   a few pumps it is deadly, very accurate w3x9 scope.

We need to check the regs in PR about air rifles  -  don't know if they have any laws about them??   Maybe someone here knows.

I recently went through the firearm permit process in PR  -  that will test your patience with bureaucracy!!    :sosad:

You can buy and own an air rifle without any regulation. It's only for firearms that is regulated.

Mine is ony a one pump, very accurate and powerful at 20-30yrds.

You can buy them over the counter

Not me, no luck at all with tomatoes so far 😢

annabfalter wrote:

We are still waiting to close on our property which has bananas, plantains and a big avacado tree.   Hoping to grow tomatoes, too.  Has anyone had luck with tomatoes?

No luck with tomatoes so far 😢

There is a company that grows tomatoes in PR, if you can get one, clean the seeds well, let the seed dry for a few days then use them to plant.

Oh I had them groing but the problem is that there are so many hungry insects etc...
I want them organic and that seems to get hard to get.

Marion-Olga wrote:

Oh I had them groing but the problem is that there are so many hungry insects etc...
I want them organic and that seems to get hard to get.

Yup the incests like tomatoes plants too.

Wal-Mart food can be expensive. Guess how much a watermelon costs a whooping minimum 13 dollars. When one should cost about 5 dollars

Wal-Mart food can be expensive. Guess how much a watermelon costs a whooping minimum 13 dollars. When one should cost about 5 dollars

Yes, many items in PR cost more here. I live in the dairy center of PR, milk is over $5 a gallon!  Back in CT, we pay about $2.   :sosad:

Another pet peeve I have, you can't buy a decent tomato in the grocery store!  Now I'm growing my own.   Watermelon is extremely expensive and the quality is typically poor.

Sams club sometimes has good produce, but you gotta fight the crowds.

However, the mangoes & avacados are great here, I get them from locals.

A good truck farmer could make a living here IMO.