How to save money in Colombia

Hello everyone,

Did you plan your budget before your move to Colombia? If so, how did you go about it?

How do you save money in your day to day life? Do you find there are any areas where you can't cut costs?

Do you have any tips about saving money in Colombia? For example, getting the best deals on accommodation, grocery shopping and dining out, the best value transportation, etc..

Are there any apps or websites that have helped you to save money?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Your dollars go further in Colombia.

It's the exchange rate.  Right now the Colombian peso or COP is at 3,084 to the U.S. dollar, the highest rate for the dollar this year.  Just several years ago the COP was at about 1,800 to the dollar -- meaning that buying power for North Americans is strong these days.  If world oil prices stay low -- and the U.S. glut makes that likely for a while -- the dollar is expected to remain strong here.

New and under-construction lower-end condos are available for the Colombian equivalent of under $20,000 in the Coffee Zone city of Pereira and other smaller to medium-size cities.

Rents are low, too, as a result of the Expat-favorable exchange rate .. so consider renting for at least a year in your target area before entertaining a condo purchase there.

cccmedia in Medellín

My wife and I shop at PriceMart in Medellin once a month.  Mainly stock up on meats and canned items.  We stay away from Exito on imported items since they seem to be priced too high.  However, we find that that the vegetables at Exito is cheaper on most cases than buying in the open market at the plaza. 

Shop at D#1 stores for your house cleaning supplies which are way cheaper than Exito. 

My wife and I bought a moped, since I was tired of seeing her pay 15,000 pesos a day on parking where she works.  Plus, it saves wear and tear and gas money on her car.

Hello,

Yes, there is actually a book I wrote about living in Colombia cheaply. I can send the eCopy to you if you send me your email.

thanks!

I have found that the D1 supermarkets are much cheaper on many goods ie:

Prices approx.
Cut Bread $1.760
Bacon        $3.600
Milk 900    $1.700
Peanut butter  $5.500
Imported Jam  355g  %. $5.500
All the above are good quality and there are many more bargains.

Peter

Live in RURAL Colombia.  That's the best way to save money.... literately half or a third in costs of housing and food.