How to save money in Brazil

Hello everyone,

Did you plan your budget before your move to Brazil? If so, how did you go about it?

How do you save money in your day to day life? Do you find there are any areas where you can't cut costs?

Do you have any tips about saving money in Brazil? For example, getting the best deals on accommodation, grocery shopping and dining out, the best value transportation, etc..

Are there any apps or websites that have helped you to save money?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I planned for 16 months to live here, my USA pension was anywhere between 3 to 4 times more  vs1 Real about. It is averages about $3r to $1usd. A no brainer for me as my pension is triple what it was in the US. With rent at $650 usd and that was a 2 bed room flat with a room mate all utilities were included, Car payment for a vehicle I drove once a week to the grocery store, Car and Insurance and gas about $650.usd per month, when I sold it it had less than 12,000 miles on it, it was a 2013 Toyota Avalon nice car. And the Grocery Store was outrageous that was about $400 usd per month so about, now that we have the numbers down from the US.
Lets compare life in Brazil, the wife has a car no insurance imagine that it's a older Fiat maybe gets 20-25 miles to the gallon I don't do liters (lol) we take it out on grocery days and the odd trip to visit family and friends so let's just say the thing leaves the garage maybe 4 times a month (yup) so let's continue the wife owns the home= no payments (hooray), so I can walk to the local daily street markets and there are a couple grocery stores within say a quarter kilometers or 1/8 of a mile or less.
There I find all the small items fresh and what is needed for the day and the prices are good, 6 eggs for r2.40 saved 20 centavos by not buying them in the mercado/grocery store.
Now I have a choice of 5-6 bakeries I buy about 4-6 rolls or buns for about r1.75 or less  (now mind you I am still within my 1/8 of a mile (lol).
When I left the US October 2016 a average pound of beef was between 8.00 to16.00 usd per pound. I am not a math wizard yet I was able to pick up filet mignon here for about 10.00 usd per pound US about 21.00usd per pound (score) I am a beef eater and I find meats here to be a bargain in Belem as I can only speak for my local area.

I think the best cut steak in Belem  is about 17r per kilo here so let's see 17÷3=6.00 usd(double score) beer is about 7usd a 12 pack, in the US a six pack was averaging 8.00usd (what a way to enjoy beer).
Let's see okay Internet was about 160.00 usd per month and that was Limited so once one went over there alloted gigs, one would simply call the provider and order 10 gigs at 10.00usd per 10 gigs here unlimited for about 50.00usd and I let my neighbors a select few use it and it's Unlimited, okay now refuse/garbage is free or who knows all I know is its cheaper than 45.00 usd per month.
Okay now let's go with water about 60.00 usd per month.here in Belem  about maybe 8.00usd per month (and some days no water at the mouth of the Amazon)(your kidding me)(no true story/lol) so let's move to Electric it was about 110.00 usd per month now here its about 45.00 usd per month and that includes 2 heated showers 5 ceiling fans and the air conditioner (thanks Dilma for the 6% rate hike).
And finally gas it was about 150.00usd per month (now I lived in Alaska prior to my move to Brazil and doesn't Alaska have a pipeline)(I guess it's like living at the mouth of the Amazon and no water some days)(lol) I do have a water cache(smh) so we buy a tank of gas about every 3 months and that's about 18.00 usd. (We cook everyday several times a day and use the oven quite often for baking and slow cooked meats (I hate pressure cooked meats)
So to make a long story longer I should have moved here years ago and I am saving every frickn day.
I stand by my life and prices quoted. If this is confusing to some just divide the numbers by 3 and let me know what you come up with.
We also shoo at Vero Peso and we do not need any new clothes or shoes at the present time, yet the wife finds a excuse for shoes and the small tee shirts they sell for small people and tight slacks  (lol).
I am not a big guy yet I like loose and oversized clothing some of the clothing here looks like the person sewed it on (just saying)

When something is on sale I buy in quantity.   I use my American credit card as much as possible to get the benefit of its strength against the real

Jim

jland912 wrote:

When something is on sale I buy in quantity.   I use my American credit card as much as possible to get the benefit of its strength against the real

Jim

I do the same and buy in bulk when it comes to household items and shelf life of products.
and practice necessities amd not niceties. Major items only if it has a warranty and guarantee.
We recycle as opposed to new, we will repaint a table and chairs before we consider new.

The best way to save Money, is to buy nothing, and then your save loads and loads

spanishpete wrote:

The best way to save Money, is to buy nothing, and then your save loads and loads

Tried that, gave into hunger and toilet paper/lol.
And the Police Dawg was a lot angry!  And btw he likes human flesh!

Alascana wrote:
spanishpete wrote:

Young Man [b]what are you on[/b]

spanishpete wrote:
Alascana wrote:
spanishpete wrote:

Quanitive Life and a ocassional Cuban Cigar (from my savings)lol

Alascana wrote:
spanishpete wrote:
Alascana wrote:

Quanitive Life and a ocassional Cuban Cigar (fromy savings)lol

like all the rich  "just:  Exploiting the poor workers
Down the capitalista Pigs   LOL

What I experienced during may stay in Sao Paulo region is that food is pretty expensive. Because they weigh the food without any difference in nature of item to be sold. Whether is watermelon or beef, it accounts for same price. Try managing this carefully... Best of luck

Going to restaurants, your not going to save Money,,,, "But" by not going to restaurants, you 'will' save Money
Well i belive that might work