Getting Holiday Travel Insurance As An Expat

Hi All,

I am a UK passport holder studying abroad in the Netherlands and I am going to travel to Asia this summer for 3 weeks and I am finding some difficulties in getting appropriate travel insurance.
After being stung before with a bad insurer, I have been reading the small print in detail and the majority of UK policies require that I have lived in England for 6 of the last 12 months, which obviously isn't the case with the universities academic year. I will also be flying from the Netherlands, so I think that also complicates things seeing as some require that I fly to and from my "home area", which will be defined as the UK according to the policy.
I have also researched some Dutch policies, although they require that I have Dutch medical insurance which costs around 100 euros per month.
It might be a niche audience who have experience the same issue, but does anyone have any suggestions so that I can be appropriately covered?

Thanks!

Hi Jake and welcome to the Forum.  Assuming you're a full-time student and not working in Holland, then your UK EU Health Insurance Card covers you for your Healthcare costs in the Netherlands.  It follows that you're not officially resident in the Netherlands.

Schiphol is an International hub for many UK travellers, so thousands of people every year begin and start their holidays from there, my advice would be to contact whoever you're arranging your trip with and ask what arrangements they have for people in your situation.

Hi Cynic, thanks for the reponse.

That is the case whilst I am studying here, so I think I am covered whilst living here.  The issue is that I am going on holiday to Asia tomorrow and when trying to get insurance for the holiday itself I don't meet some of the small print criteria. 

For instance UK travel insurance requires that I have lived in England for 6 of the last 12 months, but the student academic year is 9 months long.  Whilst trying to get Dutch travel insurance, I am required to have Dutch medical insurance which costs circa 100 euros per month and, like you say, I am already covered with the EU healthcard.

So how can I get covered?

I am going with my girlfriend who is Dutch, so she doesn't have the same issue.

You could look at this site for tips Get a student travel insurance quote

Do you have a credit card? I know a lot of them have the option to have Travel Insurance on them. When I lived in the UK I had it with Barclaycard.

You could also contact your Student Union for suggestions.

Good luck

jakemu wrote:

Hi Cynic, thanks for the reponse.

For instance UK travel insurance requires that I have lived in England for 6 of the last 12 months, but the student academic year is 9 months long.  Whilst trying to get Dutch travel insurance, I am required to have Dutch medical insurance which costs circa 100 euros per month and, like you say, I am already covered with the EU healthcard.

So how can I get covered?

My point is that you're not resident in Holland, you're there for educational reasons only.  Get your UK insurance from your home address in the UK.

As SimCityAT says, many UK banks offer travel insurance for nothing, you just need to have an account with them; worthwhile checking, I'm with the Nationwide and they give it to all current account holders.