I've got a plan!

Ok expert expats (lol)... Does this sound reasonable?...

It's just me and my 11 year old son.  Don't want to leave furkids behind either.

Plan is to put everything in storage (Florida) and visit each area I'm interested in, one at a time.  Since I wouldn't be paying rent back home, there would be no financial stress and we could take our time a week or two (or longer) in each place.  My small dog and cat both travel well. The legalities (passports/visas/finances) are being worked out.

When all is said and done, we can either come back to retrieve some things (or have them ready to be shipped out to us, or be sold), or simply come back for good if it doesn't suit us.

Does this sound reasonable?  The alternative is selling everything and if it didn't work out, have to start all over again.  My vehicle will be with a relative.  Any thoughts? Advice?  Do you think it would be easy enough to rent short term and move on to the next area, repeat?   The places I'm looking at are Cancun, Merida, Coatepec Veracruz, San Miguel De Allende, Guadalajara, & outskirts of Mexico City.
TIA

Hi,
Just a caution, since you are traveling by air with your pets, be sure you have up to date information on the certificates of vaccinations you will need and the form your vet will need to fill out for you. I have read that the requirements have changed for the airports and that all pets must have been treated for parasites, worms, ticks,fleas, etc. and the vet must state when and what the animals were treated with. This is in addition to the rabies and health certificate. There is a form you can download for the vet to fill out, it has to be typed or filled out on the computer, not handwritten. Here is the link with the information. https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-tr … el-mexico. Good luck in your travels. :)

Apicasso, thank you for this!  I knew about the shots and records, but not the treatments and forms.  :-)

Hi Leener,  the plan of storage is great as long as it is cost/benefit viable. Also, the part of travelling and visiting area is excellent but one/two weeks stars could be short but sometime it is sufficient.

Since you will be travelling a lot, I would suggest you purchase travel guide, my personal choice would be Lonely planet books they are normally quite recent. Not sure about travelling by bus with furkids!!

For short term rental with the travel guide and internet, you can find unexpensive rentals within the various areas you will visit. Common cooking area often exist in rental complex. Try to visit/travel out of the high season/holidays even the mexican holidays. During these periods, short term rentals could cost up to 4 times the regular rates. 

Keep an open mind and good luck on your quest.

Personnaly, my wife and I travelled Mexico with backpacks in our 50ies with no problem  (8-10 weeks travel).

Buena suerte en su proyecto, GyC.

GyC, I may just get rid of large furniture and keep the TV's and kitchen gadgets in storage or with a family member.   I've been going back and forth with the idea because people are continually cautioning me about making a premature move too quickly with a child.  So I figured I'd just use storage, but it is another hassle.   Will check prices and reconsider again.

Thanks for the idea about the travel guide...it has already begun to calm my fears as I will be less "blind".

My plan is to leave some time in August. 

Do you think it would be doable with the furkids?  Taxis, rentals?  I can't see leaving them behind long term, don't have any "baby sitters".  Would have to board them.  I boarded two dogs in 2009 when I had to travel to my father's funeral and they were ruined.  Extreme separation anxiety, one took down half of a wall in my then house, it was heartbreaking/stressful and I can't do that again.  She was a powerful shepherd/husky compared to my now pug mix (90 vs 20 pounds) but the stress and behavioral problems are very real.  My son is adamant about taking them as well.  This is a tough one...as I can leave "things" but not the furkids.  I'm part of a "Worldschooler" group and many folks travel with their kids (obviously) and pets.  I'm a single mom so the stress/burden will all be on me, and I'm a naturally anxious person to begin with.  I already explained to my son that he cannot add to my stress with complaints and unhappiness...it will be different, trying at best!!  Told him I need his support in all this.  He seems very ready and excited (he's 11).  Even at times when I've expressed doubt, he's said, "We can do it mom!!...I want to go to Mexico!!"  Of course if he doesn't like it or can't acclimate, we will return back to Florida.

It's getting close to be put into action and I've been sleeping only 4 hour nights...researching, thinking, planning, reconsidering, and getting wonderful information from folks like you.  I want you to know how appreciative I am of your input.  I doubt I would even be doing this without all the guidance and wisdom from experience I am receiving.  Thank you.

Leener wrote:

Ok expert expats (lol)... Does this sound reasonable?...

It's just me and my 11 year old son.  Don't want to leave furkids behind either.

Plan is to put everything in storage (Florida) and visit each area I'm interested in, one at a time.  Since I wouldn't be paying rent back home, there would be no financial stress and we could take our time a week or two (or longer) in each place.  My small dog and cat both travel well. The legalities (passports/visas/finances) are being worked out.

When all is said and done, we can either come back to retrieve some things (or have them ready to be shipped out to us, or be sold), or simply come back for good if it doesn't suit us.

Does this sound reasonable?  The alternative is selling everything and if it didn't work out, have to start all over again.  My vehicle will be with a relative.  Any thoughts? Advice?  Do you think it would be easy enough to rent short term and move on to the next area, repeat?   The places I'm looking at are Cancun, Merida, Coatepec Veracruz, San Miguel De Allende, Guadalajara, & outskirts of Mexico City.
TIA

Sounds reasonable to me. Definitely better than the stress of just packing up everything and going somewhere unknown. You might find that plan very enjoyable,  definitely more relaxing, and very informative. :D

We have just take the decisionto  move but we are taking a year to leave everything on order We are selling all of our furniture exept the antiques we own my sister in law will storage those but very few. Anithing that you can buy back just sell it TV will get old and hard to sale later than now. We have travel with pets back and forth with no issue by car. So as long as you have all paperwork in order its fine. Good luck.

You may want to add Morelia to your visiting tour plan. Cheap rentals for rooms and houses may be found at https://www.airbnb.com/s/Morelia--Mexico/homes. Good luck!