How to make friends in Riyadh

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in Riyadh :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Riyadh??

Thanks in advance for your participation

Really, any chance to do so !
So, where ?? Is there any social place where we can seat and talk on expat issues.

It's no rocket sience actually, no matter what nationality or what background you are from, in the end we are all human. laugh and cry alike, friendships are never done mechanically, its a chemistry thing, now whether you meat in a cafe or online or where ever, when you feel comfortable talking to some and just click, you know its a begining of a good relationship. what some may call important is having something in comon, like comong interest, goal, workplace etc..

Try networking, try going to sport centers and join some team, try mingling in markets or traditional souks, events and on an on.. be imaginitve...

you never know whos waiting for you in the next corner... maybe Count Dracula .. :o

Salman

heyyyy :) seems that i'm the only saudi girl here??
honestly i've found this forum while i was looking for
a housemaid.i've never been outside saudi arabia.never thought that its really hard for u guys to live here.wish i can help feel free to  contact me wish i can have good friends here.
see ya.:D

Welcome to Expat-blog Dodee,

take a peek once in a while, theres always people who need help around. your advice can be of great use to everyone.

Salman

This forum is an ideal place for expats, and even locals, to make friends, indulge in common activities, and participate in sharing and exchange based on ones interests. Go for it guys ...

thank you Salman :) brother I thought you saudi ,i was checking some posts here and surprised by your efferots to help expats. hope i can offer as much help as you do.
:)

Thanks Dodee, it seems your doing a good job your self ;) keep it up :)

Salman

Salam for all.

Salman Omrani wrote:

Try networking, try going to sport centers and join some team, try mingling in markets or traditional souks, events and on an on.. be imaginitve...

It's works only for man, unfortunately.:(

Sport/ fitness centers for women are overpriced.
Live style of SA, unbelievable stupid lows drys out all your imaginitve..
Expat women has to saet at home here like home pet.
In weekends nowhere to go with family, except fed-up malls, where you spend unbelievable amount of money to exersise your children.:(

Dodee wrote:

heyyyy :) never thought that its really hard for u guys to live here.
see ya.:D

ha..lucky you

DRose wrote:

Salam for all.

Expat women has to saet at home here like home pet.
In weekends nowhere to go with family, except fed-up malls, where you spend unbelievable amount of money to exersise your children.:(

Well said!  I myself have refused to accept the 'go-to-malls-and-spend-money-you-don't-have-for-things-you-don't-want' mentality lol 

Even when I actually need something, it's frustrating here to find what I want! 

Mindlessly walking around isn't my idea of fun.  It's a shallow existence.

Your hometown should never be a hassle for one to make friends. It is difficult to make friends when in other country in your neighbourhood especially in Riyadh from my personal experience :(. I found expat-blog with loads of friendly and helpful people. It is very annoying during the weekends if you dont have friends when you are away from hometown.

I have offered the use of my place for parties and although there are many people who complain that there is nothing to do I have not had a full list for my weekend get togethers which is disappointing. I sent a PM to a couple of bloggers a did not get a reply. :(
Look forward to meeting more of you in the future.:):)

Dave

We love you, Dave!

Count me in.....

Anil

Things happen even if they are not planned

anil.soni wrote:

Count me in.....

Anil

We love you, Anil!

Now who else do we love? :lol:

Alliecat wrote:
anil.soni wrote:

Count me in.....

Anil

We love you, Anil!

Now who else do we love? :lol:

Thanks Allie.... Aren't we missing Salman here....:/:P

Anil

anil.soni wrote:

[ Aren't we missing Salman here....:/:P

He seems to be MIA ... yet again :P

Just be talkative wherever, and see if it goes anywhere. Met a guy waiting in line for the bathroom one time with me. Just started talkin' out of no where.

As for the ladies, I have no idea. My wife finds it hard to meet new people who don't live with us in the compound.

As for the parties, thanks Dave, hopefully we'll get to attend next time you whip something up. :)

Enough is written here and discussing more would be useless effort but yeah Networking helps u a lot and after sometime when u got to know each other better with exchange of notes u may build trust on your future Friends.I am blessed to find friends here,i may not talk or meet them quite often but i m truly in love with these crazy people.....

Dave,Carol & Allie r kind enough to trust us and even invited to their crib :)...I just hope u guys r as lucky as me :D

jillndave wrote:

I have offered the use of my place for parties and although there are many people who complain that there is nothing to do I have not had a full list for my weekend get togethers which is disappointing. I sent a PM to a couple of bloggers a did not get a reply. :(
Look forward to meeting more of you in the future.:):)

Dave

:)

Thats wonderful Dave. Now that we have established Daves Den as the Club House for expat-blog lets get kicking with the parties, guys.

Maybe we should nominate CAF/Allie/Salman/Nonz into the organizing committee.

Go for it guys!

Now, now, don't get carried away.
I didn't mean it to sound like that, but I do hope have a do here every 4 - 6 weeks. Just watch the stickies.

Dave

jillndave wrote:

I didn't mean it to sound like that, but I do hope have a do here every 4 - 6 weeks. Just watch the stickies.

Dave

Is THAT so?  Well too late! You've opened the floodgates.  I intend to vist you at least once a week :P

I said SORRY Dave - and then Alliecat lost her phone and I did say you should maybe come here to see how boring DQ can get.

Alliecat wrote:
jillndave wrote:

Dave

Is THAT so?  Well too late! You've opened the floodgates.  I intend to vist you at least once a week :P

hehehehehehhe....:lol::lol::lol:

yeah too late..just let mom go and then see...how evil we can get....

Sparrow wrote:

Alliecat lost her phone and I did say you should maybe come here to see how boring DQ can get.

Sparrow, I'm very close to you.  What say we meet for a drink (coke lol) and lunch at Scalini's?  This weekend?  Ooops.. or is it closed during the day for Ramadan (probably)?