Life's ups and downs in China

Hello everyone,

My name is Angus, originally from England, I have now been in China almost 6 years, working as a teacher. 

Why did I choose China? Simple, life is better in China as a foreigner than it was in England as a businessman, constantly having to deal with our corrupt government.  Life is what we make of it in China. I don't know about you but I find I have more freedom here in China than I had in England. Admittedly the standard of living is lower as is the income. But on the upside there is no pressure except the pressure I put on myself to do my job professionally.

I have been to many countries and worked in some. For me Cuba and China are the best places, I would never eat Chinese food in England because it is awful. But Chinese food in China is a wonderful culinary adventure. Everyday I try something I have never had before, sometimes I enjoy it, other times I don't. Learning to cook real Chinese food is relatively easy and great fun. If you ask you will find some of your Chinese friends are very happy to show you, they love sharing their culture with us.

The only real problem I had had to face in China are the bad employers who ignore the contract and agreements and feel they can impose their will on all their employees.  Because there are so many illegals working in China Employers have been able to do as they please with their foreign workers. I have actually taken legal action against one such employer and won. If you are legal and have problems with your employer you will find the Arbitration service is wonderful. If your illegal you haven't got any protections and it is your own fault.

yeah, there are some employers breaking the law.