Kuwait Newbie Teacher

Hi,

I'm Katie, I'm new!

I've been offered a job starting in September as a teacher at a British primary school in Salmiya.

They are offering 900kwd, accommodation and utilities, NQT year covered (BIG draw for me, proving impossible to secure where I live), and flights and medical paid.
I have provisionally accepted the offer and am just waiting on receiving my contract! :D

In the mean time, I am wondering if there are any teachers in Kuwait who could  lend me some of their expertise! I am about 90% set on moving (unless something horrific pops up on the contract), just looking for that little bit of extra piece of mind!

Hi Katie,

Im moving there this September too, same as you, having completed my nqt year its time to take a plunge in to the unknown 😁  .  I've posted a few times on this forum, replies are hard to come by 😒 . What i can say is the contract part is very easy and a no brainer depending on what they offer.

All i can say is, the whole procedure leading to the moving part is very mind boggling at the minute for me, ive received my flight tickets and  a massive email with an attached document containing a very confusing, unclear set of procedures to now get the ball rolling from HR. From what i know so far, or have found out so far:

Make sure your passport isnt expiring soon. Locate a public notary near you so they can verify your degree, i did a pgce too so im not sure if i have to get that verified too. And then those docs have to be sent to the foreign and commonwealth office to get their seal of approval too. This can be arranged through the .gov website.

They also want a DBS / CRB issued within last 3 months which again, should be within the 3 months of the visa being issued - which is a tricky situation as there is no clarification on wether the 'update service' counts. And also the visa can take time to be issued. I heard theres an alternative to dbs which is acpro police check or something which takes a week to be issued. And then that or your dbs has to be verified by a notary and stamped by the fco after. Which then has to be provided to the embassy.

I would also look try finding out about private / local clinics that will do a medical with the kuwaiti criteria for you.

I live in London so Harley Street has a few and the embassy based there too although not sure if you'd have to visit the embassy for anything as of yet apart from taking the verified / stamped / aprived docs when collecting the visa?

In terms of contract, ive received a similar one to yours.

Again, i guess these procedures are the norm for working abroad in that region (Kuwait more than others).

This is just a heads up of the process coming your way.

Anyway, good luck. 😁

Hi ladies

I am also hopefully moving there in September.
The last contact i ve had with the HR was to confirm that my "educator status" has been approved by the Kuwaity ministry and now a question of obtaining the work permit so called "NOC"  which is being processed.
But i haven't go any flight number yet.
The Kuwait embassy told me on the phone that they don't accept CRB certificate only the police check. So I'm a little bit surprised there.
I have managed to do all my medical checkups through my GP so it didn't cost me anything because private clinic charges fortunate.
Another worrying thing is the visa , certain people on this forum pretend that it takes a longtime to be processed.

I heard that the biggest thing about Kuwait is the boringness. Let's meet before we fly there.
When are supposed to be there?

Hope to hear from you

David

Hi David, sounds like a good idea. When you had your medical, did you provide the GP with a specific form? If so do did HR give you that form or is there a standard copy which we can download? I'm seeing my GP on the 28th, the appointment was booked a while back, but now i'm thinking of cancelling and going private as not clear if my GP has to fill up a specific form and stamp it. In terms of visa time i'm guessing it various countries and their embassies.

Hi there

I told him that specifically what it was for.
Soon as i got the result of all of them. He just wrote a letter with all the results attached to it that's all.
He doesn't seem like that there is a specific form to fill in unless you find one.
Are you going to Kuwait or another location?
Thanks

Hi 😊

I am not native English speaker , so excuse me for my poor English,  I am expat live and work in Kuwait about 18 months ago , I have that extreme love for English ( the British BBC English ) in particular, someday I was in the bus and I sow two friends native English speakers talking with each others , I thoughts that they are Americans considering thair non British pretty accent , I liked to practise my English 😄 , I went to them and said Hi ! they replyed , we have talked alittle about English learning and Canada , I knew that they are Canadians English teachers working here in Kuwait , one of them called prian , I was really happy that I talked with native speakers hahaha , i have got number of prian , and he told me if you need help call me .

Dear ladies , if you like to communicate with him to know more , he is a nice person and i hope he will help ☺ just tell me I will send you his number in private 😉

Hahaa Ahmed958 your reply so funny,  off the subject .. good luck mate

thanks mate , I live in mahboula by the way 😄 I like talking with English native speakers 😉🌹 I still have that passion with English hahaha I think it's a genatic issue needs to be tackled 😄

thanks for reply

Yes going to Kuwait Dave.

Since this convo has 3 people coming to Kuwait. I would be more than happy to show you guys around and how to make kuwait more fun than boring in hot summers.

I also own a homie coffee shop so you guys may visit ask as many questions as you want and i will be glad to help, coffee is on the house for sure!

Thanks Bellyci! That's very kind of you :) just in process of sorting all my documentarion now, starting to feel real!

Nice! Great! Let me know how it goes!

So trying to get hold of anyone in the Kuwait Embassy in London is proving tricky! 🙈

Dont worry about it :P should be easy to do. A bit easy haha!

Hi guys. I'm Rania. Will be moving to Kuwait in August to take up my new teaching position. I hope to meet some of you there in due course.

Sure thing! Just hit me up when you arrive

Thanks. Will do.

Well it seems now all i need is a medical and a dbs (notarised and stamped) by the fco. Only need to notarise my degree if you want to drive there apparently. Waiting for the xhool to let me know when the visa (noc) arrives. All set to fly in end of August  @Rania where are you flying from?

Hi @rifraf123 from South Africa

Nice, probably see you lovely people around there 😊

Been in Kuwait since March, the boring-ness might be a tad more than you're expecting. Unless y'all love malls and restaurants, then you're in for a treat!

I'm sure we will see each other. Arriving in August only.

Hi. I just wanted to know what's the meaning of your post?

Are you trying to tell us as women something?

Why not be direct and say it the way it us!!! @naser

Ignore what this guy said. Women are properly treated. It is just some people who consider them as "second class" so he says. People who dont really know how to treat women. Which are a minority

Thanks for that.
I shudder to think how he would feel if someone ill-treated his mother, sister or aunt!!! Some people are really narrow minded. I'm sorry to say that but unfortunately it's the truth.

And then have the guts to post it on here knowing how many women are coming to Kuwait.

I fear no man (meaning men or women) on this earth. The only person I fear is God!!! And I will surely not let Naser' s comment resonate in my mind!!!!

Hes a minority in both class and mind. We tend to ignotehis kind.

My mother and sister are treated like a Queen and a Princess. As soon as you arrive to Kuwait let me know and i will help you and the other expats as much as i can and we can meet over coffee

Thanks Balluccii

Your welcome

Hie guys also moving to kuwait end of august for a teaching position at kens

Welcome to Kuwait

guys tell me about the medicals what happens if you test positive to hepatitis b but all the other tests are negative and you are not working with small kids (not in the 6 categories ) will they deport you or it depends on the employer

Ah Fresh blood ;) you will be fine I hope. I'm starting my 5th year working in a British school there in Jabriya, the government stuff takes a while but don't worry that's your schools problem and theyre very happy to have you in Kuwait, parents want British teachers theyre highly rated and respected ( I know right?). The medical gets repeated in the government hospitals once you're here (obviously in some countries you can buy a clean medical). With housing and transport paid for 900KD is easily enough to live and and Im sure you can save 50-60% depending on your spending habits. There are good schools and bad in Kuwait and it can be hit and miss, but once your contract is up you can always move if you wanted to stay in the Country. And for lack of alcohol and boredom worries if you have them, trips to Dubai for fab Friday brunches will make up for it, ask existing staff in your school if you don't know about them :) Any questions lemmi know. Good luck and check out 2.48am Kuwait as well for every day news and life in the Kingdom.

Anna  Had a colleague went to Al Takamul school when it didn't work out at my school, its actually pretty much over the raod from my school's Saba apartments. Heard mixed thoughts but they pay on time which is always nice in M.E. The area has improved a lot in the last few years with some new restaurants opening, but if you're living in Saba as well its a little quite and far from the malls and shopping areas like salmiya or Avenues. Still I don't mind it as traffic isn't that bad.

Wht are the list of medicals do they do for high school teachers

Me and my wife will also be starting as teachers in Kuwait at the end of August from the UK. Like everybody else we are going round in circles with the visa process but hope it is sorted soon ! Would be great to hear more perspectives from any current teachers or teachers to be. Also happy to meet any new and sociable people on arrival
:)

SLS in M.E. government stuff is slow, its part of life here, it irritates you at first but most get used to it and accept it, otherwise Kuwait isn't that bad especially for families, hope the school gives assisted places or it can be expensive. Good luck.

Hi guys, i received the work visa sent from the school, took around a month, just applied for the acro check, after that comes need to get it notarised and stamped by the fco then take it to the embassy along with medicals so they can check the docs i'm guessing or give me a nice sticker / stamp in my passport.

Does anyone know what we do now in terms of non-residency in the UK? if there is a process we need to follow now that we are leaving to UK to work abroad? also does anyone have any info on remittance for my salary or some of it to be sent to UK, ideally in my bank account?

Rifraf I would register with gov.uk to get updates on Kuwait, there used to be a Locate feature on the FCO but they scrapped it. Your salary will be paid into a Kuwaiti bank and depending on when you enter in the tax year (and when you return) will depend on what tax you might need to pay, the tax office is the people to deal with that. Don't think there is any other procedures unless you have income from the UK e.g. rental income and again that's a tax matter.

Make sure you know your swift and IBAN for transferring salary to you UK accounts, lots of places to send money hear not only the banks, Bahrain exchange co (BEC) and Kuwait Bahrain exchange (KBE) often have good rates to transfer to the UK but they change, if you're keen to get the last penny then worth some investigating. Im with National Bank of Kuwait so most of the time I just send through there as I can do online as soon as I get paid.

Exchange rates will now become fascinating (if they weren't already haha). Expect 2-3 days before your money appears in your UK account but your Kuwait bank that your school chooses and the two companies I mentioned are safe and your money will always get there. Just wondering which schools people are going to?

HI,
I'll move to Kuwait next month
I'm Portuguese and I'll like to meet some ocidental persons and discorver that new country.
Hit me up and arrive... I'll do the same.

Miguel

Hi gmannion, thanks for your reply, i think i'll opt for the knb i heard a lot of teachers there use it, did you apply for non residency for yourself?