Affordable rentals in San Ramon

At this point I'm stymied. Although I've seen references to affordable rental apts in San Ramon I can't find listings anywhere.

I'm a female retired social worker living on approx $1400 per month net in social security I will not have a vehicle so I would need to live a walkable distance from stores. Although my small dog is good company I do enjoy being around people and would like to live near a park or marketplace where people congregate.

Can someone please tell me if there are affordable rental apts in San Ramon that meet the above criteria? And if so, how I would go about finding them.

Looking forward to a reply or two

ahimsa108 wrote:

At this point I'm stymied. Although I've seen references to affordable rental apts in San Ramon I can't find listings anywhere.

I'm a female retired social worker living on approx $1400 per month net in social security I will not have a vehicle so I would need to live a walkable distance from stores. Although my small dog is good company I do enjoy being around people and would like to live near a park or marketplace where people congregate.

Can someone please tell me if there are affordable rental apts in San Ramon that meet the above criteria? And if so, how I would go about finding them.

Looking forward to a reply or two

Hola Elayne,

There are quite a few apartments in San Ramon - downtown.  I would suggest that you come down, stay in a downtown hotel, not the nicest but they are safe, and then look at apartments from there.  Many in that area are going to be word of mouth or posted on boards at the local stores.

You should be able to get a furnished apartment for around $350-$400.00 per month.

Do you speak enough espanol to arrange for an apartment?  If not, you could hire a Tica to translate for you and show you around.  If you want some help with that you can send me a private message on this site and I can recommend someone for you - a local lady who's English is good and is a very nice person.  I think she charges ¢2,500 ($4.37) per hour plus you'd have to pay for a taxi.

Let me know if you want some help with this.

- Expat Dave

Thanks Dave, we too will be looking for the same thing. We are thinking of putting me there for a while to check things out before the big move, husband sent a note for you in your pvt, messages
Hope to hear from you

While at Cruz Roja this morning paying my bills, I looked at the board where people post ads for apartments.  I was surprised that there are quite a few and they rent for between ¢135,000-¢160,000 ($236 - $280).  They did not say if they were furnished or not.

- Expat Dave

Some of the supermarkets have bulletin boards as well. If you speak Spanish just ask everyone around if they know of one. Ask people in small stores etc.

Awesome. I'm hoping my little pooch won't be too much of a turnoff. I thought I'd place a request on this site in December asking about a short term rental beginning Feb 1 so I have time to get familiar with the city so I no what part of town works best for me

I'm originally from the Bronx so I know Spanglish. I've found a free conversational spanish site so I'll be working on learning enough to get around..coupled w hand gestures and a look of desperation I'm hoping that will get me by until I'm immersed in the language

Hi Dave. I am very much interested in contacting the Rico apartment translating lady however I've just learned in going to be a grandma so my move has been pushed back to Feb 1. I'll contact you in Nov about this lady and the dog friendly taxi. in the meantime if you think of any information  that might be of help to me I'd appreciate it. Do you think a motor bike would be useful getting around the city or do buses run regularly? Again thanks for everything

Hi all
Dave I too would be interested in the dog friendly taxi....
You can pm about that.
Thanks
Ginny

ahimsa108 wrote:

Hi Dave. I am very much interested in contacting the Rico apartment translating lady however I've just learned in going to be a grandma so my move has been pushed back to Feb 1. I'll contact you in Nov about this lady and the dog friendly taxi. in the meantime if you think of any information  that might be of help to me I'd appreciate it. Do you think a motor bike would be useful getting around the city or do buses run regularly? Again thanks for everything

Ginny and Ahimsa, I believe it was I who mentioned that I know a taxi driver in San Ramon that MIGHT be dog friendly. I can't say for sure as I don't have a dog, LOL. But I imagine if it's a well behaved dog and won't crap or pee in his car and you can convince him of that, he'll be okay with it.
PM me for his name and # in San Ramon.

It is not only a hygiene issue, it's for people who are allergic to dogs,  don't like the smell of a wet dog or dog hair all over their clothes.

Kohlerias, I'm with you, I would prefer not ride in a taxi where a typical dog is allowed. However if it's a "once in a while" thing and the dog is super clean and well behaved I would imagine it might be okay for some taxi drivers on a limited basis. I guess they'll find out.

Sorry, yes it was you.
I'll pm you too
Tks for all of y'all for the tips

When looking at a website mentioned by SamRamon today, in response to another post, I noticed this recent addition regarding service dogs. and where it mentions "... is that Costa Rica does not currently have a certification process for service animals. For people who are blind or ride a wheel chair, the situation is self-affirming and thus not required to produce further evidence about the necessity of the service animal. The issue will arise for people who need companion animals for emotional support. Without appropriate certifications, how can people demonstrate the need for the animal to a bus driver or a taxi driver?"

Full article at the link above.

Good information