Re DRIVERS LICENCES NEW RULES

read carefully a bit confusing... copy/paste to your browser
http://www.usexpatcostarica.com/costa-r … -day-rule/

Be cautious, this article is from March of 2014 and not everything now is as stated in the article.

This article is slightly inaccurate, as "the other 90 day rule" is actually a "3-month rule".  We tried to get our licenses 91 days after our last Visa Stamp, but COSEVI told us we must come back at three months plus one day based on calendar days.  Since some months have more than 30 days, this required waiting two additional days for us!

DOUBT if it is outdated since this paragraph mentions 2017  ..

At first glance it is easy to confuse this rule with the 90 day one that applies to driving with a tourist visa. However, it definitely applies to residents seeking a license in Costa Rica. The exact rule says an applicant must have been in Costa Rica for an uninterrupted period of 90 days, and is published in a MOPT memo from the Chief of Driver Accreditation, which is dated July 17, 2013.

MY confusion would be of you are supposed to Leave the country WITHIN the 90 day period , why would they say must BE here for at least 90 days...confusing to me that ..

As my attorney explained it to me, you would not be expected to apply for a DL as a tourist, but you would be as a resident. Since you would never be in the country more than 90 days as a tourist, you'd be precluded from obtaining a DL. However, if you have applied for residency, and thus aren't doing 90 day border runs, you will now be able to be in the country legally for 90+ days, and thus be eligible to apply for a DL.

This will be very complicated for me since I will be tele-commuting and returning to the US monthly for a few days when we move this fall, but they feel there may be legal theory to help me...but short of that it may be very difficult for me to get my DL in Costa Rica.

You can't obtain a CR DL until you have your cedula