Question about my permanency visa.

Hello,

I recently had a beautiful Anglo-Brazilian girl, born here in Recife, Brazil! She is amazing...

Anyway, I went to the police to get my passport stamped as a permanent resident. They were very helpful, printed documents that they didn't need to print and assisted me along the way.

Now, I paid everything and they handed me all the checked and finalised documents... along with a slip to pay for my overstay here in Brazil.

I was expecting this as...  a baby obviously takes 8-9 months, plus the time I was here before we found out the good news. I didn't want to leave my pregnant Brazilian wife while I waited 6 months to become applicable for a new visa again. (I don't need a visa because I am British, but whatever it is. A stamp on my passport giving free entry for 90 days).

So, I overstayed and I will pay the maximum fee.

My confusion is this, it doesn't seem to be just the payment that is required. I was given a form to sign requesting that I send a letter stating the reason why I have overstayed for such a long time... I can't seem to find any information about this online and whether this is a legal requirement or not. I am worried if I say something wrong, there might be concequences for my new family.

Any experience or information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alf

AlfieG,

I don`t have any experience with the letter you have to write, but I would just answer it truthfully. I am wondering one thing. Since you are married to a Brazilian, why didn`t you just get your permanency based on that

Jim

Hi AlfieG

Greetings of the day!

Based on what you have written, I believe this is just a letter they will keep on file for themselves to justify you overstaying your visa.

Shouldn't be anything to worry about specially citing the fact that you should be on your way to receiving your own Permanent Residence Card in the near future

Regards

Thanks for your responses, so just to clarify. They have already given me the paper document and I am waiting for my card in the post.

I am officially permanent due to me having a dependant in Brazil but I still have to pay this fee apparently.

They told me that I need to pay the amount before the 10th of July and I signed a document stating that I will do so and that I understand etc... but when my wife looked at it, she went crazy at me saying that I misunderstood and that I needed to write a letter stating why I had overstayed. Apparently I was being too relaxed about the situation.

This is the actual text:

Neste mesmo ato o infrator foi NOTiFiCADO de que podera defesa escrita, no prazo de cinco dias uteis, a contrar desta data, nos termos do Art. 137 do Dec. no86.715/81, e o que o recolhimento da multa, calclulado com base na Portaria no....... etc

My interpretation is that if I disagree with this fine and want to state my defense as to why I shouldn't pay it or that it doesn't apply to my situation, I can do so within 5 working days. Am I correct in thinking this?

Hi AlfieG

Based on your last post, I believe you have a handle on the situation.  All that needs to be done is to get at the fine and finish things off.

Congrats on your newborn and wishing you the best of luck on your Brazilian adventure :)

Tchau

Hello Stanza, just to confirm... do you agree with my interpretation?

I only need to send a letter if I don't accept the fine for whatever reason?

Hi AlfieG

Based on the info provided earlier, I totally agree with your assessment of the details :)

Just pay the fine and it's business as usual :)

Regards

Thanks for your help!