Getting married in Indonesia

I am Mauritian and my fiancee is Indonesian. We are going to get married in Indonesia and we have already registered at the marriage office. Both the religious and legal marriage will be held at the same place and same time. We are both Muslims and there is no difference is religion. Regarding this, I have some questions and if anyone based on their experience can give some advice, it's always good ^-_-^.

Questions:

1. On the airport, will they ask me for the reason ?

2. Should I have a return ticket ?

3. After I complete the procedures at the marriage office, what should I do ? I have very limited time and I have to complete the procedures in the least time so it's important I know each and every step

4. What documents should I bring with me ?

5. After the marriage at the marriage office, how long will it take to complete all procedures, can I have all the steps and for each step, the amount of time it take to complete the step

Is there question i did ask which is important, do you have some advice which you can share,

thanks ;)

Make sure you legalise your birth certificate.

More later when I'm on a computer.

What do you mean legalize birth certificate ? I mean my birth certificate is already legal from Mauritus ? Am i missing anything ?

mohammadnmb wrote:

What do you mean legalize birth certificate ? I mean my birth certificate is already legal from Mauritus ? Am i missing anything ?

You are .. but so does everyone else so that's hardly a worry. I only found out by accident but in time to do something about it.

Many countries require documents to be legalised to prove the things are genuine, something that is SOMETIMES asked for in Indonesia.
Worth doing because it'll save you a bag full of hassle and grief if you get asked for legalised documents.

http://dha.pmo.govmu.org/English/Mandat … ments.aspx

As the corruption is fading from Indonesian officialdom, the procedures are getting tighter and the rules followed closer so it's a good idea to get it done, just in case.

You might also be asked for a certificate of no impediment, also legalised, to prove you are legally entitled to marry, that likely being available from whatever office looks after marriages in your country. They should ask for this but don't always.

Tickets depend on the visa you're applying for.
If you're entering on a tourist visa, you're supposed to have one but I've never been asked to show it. Take note - Bali has a large illegal immigration issue so they might well be tighter in the rules that other airports.
To stay long term, you'll have to apply for a spouse sponsored KITAS, something that is usually pretty much automatic when married but immigration are likely to conduct home visits and so on.

TIP - You'll be asked for countless photocopies of everything and most provide poor quality black and white things from a local copy shop. Scan everything and keep them on a disk, producing full colour nice quality copies. They go down well with every department I've ever had anything to do with.

Muslim wedding DO NOT have to be registered and confirmed with the local administration office as long as both the religious and civil parts are conducted properly.  You'll be presented with marriage books and they should be accepted without question by everyone as it's considered extremely rude to suggest a couple are not legally married.
I had that a short while ago but the guy backed down pretty sharpish as my face went funny colours in his direction.

So if I understand, the moment I make the marriage, the certificate I get, I can directly use it in my country, is that so ?

I would recommend you purchase a VOA on entry into Indonesia for the marriage. You can then extend  this visa ONCE only giving you a total of 60 days to complete the marriage registration and spouse- sponsored documentation for your KITAS. I would recommend you tell immigration the truth and when asked why there is no return ticket- tell them you are getting married at date/time/place and plan to extend the VOA for this purpose until you receive your telex approval (from Jakarta) and exit the country as part of the family sponsored KITAS approval timeline. Immigration know this. This recommendation is based on my own experience (married 8-4-2017). 👍🏻 Do not lie to Immigration......and do have any documents relating to your impending marriage ready at passport control in case they ask.

Hi Supadave, thanks for your comment, you are using some terms which I don't understand, can just briefly explain them, I am going to perform the religious and legal marriage at the same place, same day, after I will be given a certificate, after I don't have a clue what should I do, can you briefly provide some guidelines if you know about it

Apolagise- best to check this site for other discussions that may best suit your needs. The language and terms are those most used in Indonesia. There are some excellent blogs on the site to assist you. As noted in previous replies- Fred is an excellent source of up to date information. There also some excellent information available on your internet search engines 👍🏻

A VOA (Visa on arrival) is a legal way to enter Indonesia for many people, including the OP as his country is on the list (Double check because the list changes from time to time).

The VOA can't be extended to 60 days so you have to leave after 30 - NOT a month as many people assume.

Assuming the marriage takes place reasonably soon after arrival, there might be time to apply for the KITAS and, as the OP will have to leave Indonesia to collect the telex, that could be enough - maybe.
The telex can be collected in Malaysia or Singapore (or anywhere else with an Indonesian embassy).
Many prefer Singapore but I went to Malaysia as I like the place and know KL very well so it was easier and more fun for me.

A SOSBUD might be a better bet as that's 60 days and renewable.

Indonesia Honorary Consulate in Port Louis

Nova Industries Ltd. A.G. JOONAS Industrial Estate.1 Military Road
P.O.BOX 48
Port Louis
Mauritius
Phone
+230-24-25545
+230-24-26333
Fax
+230-24-21471
Email
[email protected]

The purchase of a 35$ US visa on arrival should enable the applicant to stay for 30 days then apply to be extended once for another 30 days....has it changed? I wasn't referring to the free visa entry on the immigration entry lists ...👍🏻

If the paid visa is still available, it can be extended once at the same cost.
You need to visit the local immigration and do it a few days before the first visa expires.

I have no idea if they are still available so that would need to be checked.

The VOA is still available as of last April, its still $35 I got one, and asked about extending 1 time at the emigration  desk  yes you can just be sure you extend before your 30 day VOA expires.

you 2 being muslum will get 2 books ..Buka nika...these are your marriage cert: you are prolly best getting a cultural visa,,sponsered by your Indonesian partner...That.ll give you 6 months,after your married apply for a spouse visa ..sponsered by your Indo wife..for 12 months.when getting married u will prolly need an intent to marry cert:  from your Embassy or Consulet here if u have 1.Other wise do it b 4 u come.u can get married at the IMAN/S office or at home hotel watever..i did it at home.cus I had to pay for the party.and if u want to know about Muslum divorce I can help there...lol.And Importantly...a lot of people don.t know is if u leave Indonesia on a spouse visa ..you only have 3 months then they/..ll cancel it...12 months on a Kitap.which is a 5 year visa..but don.t worry bout that yet.hope this helps..I.m Aussie and been here 15 years..married to a Sulawasi gal.CHEERS.

supadave...I was talkn to some1 yesterday...they said..u can extend if u pay for VOA...But if u come in free.VOA .u cannot extend..check it out cus I was just told this..bUNDY.

ONLY IF IT.S A COUNTRY THAT PAYS...I think if it.s a country that.s free visa...u can.t extend...so research and see...as i was only told the other day.bundy.cheers.

Im from USA and can get free, but i still buy encase I will stay longer then 30 days. If I pay for the the VOA $35 I can still extend one time.I travel through SUB 3 to 4 times a year since 2003,the free VOA is fairly new I think about a year or so.