Moving to DR this year

Hello everyone, I am a new member of expat-blog, my friend and I will be moving to DR sometime this year and have the same questions posed by Bruce and Kelly. In addition would like a recommendation on a moving company that has door to door service.
My friend is Dominican by birth and is a naturalized US citizen, does that make a difference in the taxes charged to take a car from US?
Appreciate your help!

Replied to  your PM
And no there will be no difference on car tax. It is high.

Bob K

I moved to Santo Domingo recently from miami and used A Tiempo Cargo Express out of Opa-Locka.  No furniture, but lots of 2x2 boxes.  They promise 15 days service but expect a month, maybe two months since it's coming by container ship.  William.

How do you guys make your living in DR?
How were your first few weeks moving there?

If you were to do it again, what would you have done differently?

How to make a living in DR?  Open a business here or import from abroad.  Either option requires an investment. It's difficult to work for a Dominican company unless you have specific skills that are in demand. The only options if you don't speak fluent Spanish are call centers or time-share sales.
     How to move? I used a Miami agency that charged $90 for each 2x2 box.  Obviously, no furniture but you would be surprised what will fit in 2x2.  They also have 55-gallon plastic barrels. Rental properties usually are bare of anything, not even light bulbs. But you can furnish two bedrooms,kitchen and sala for under $5,000. Expect to pay rent of $250-$500 depending on the area.  Cable, with home fone and subsidized cell fone is about $135/month with 60 channels.  Electricity is inexpensive, unless you want air conditioning. Gasoline is $5.70/gallon so either buy a small car or a SUV that runs on both gasoline and natural gas, which is about 1/3 the cost of gasoline.

What area are you planning to move to? Costs of rental or  purchase will vary  greatly  by area.

One comment is so  right on -  renting a house or apartment and it comes with  NOTHING -  sometimes not even light bulbs. No fridge,no stove  NADA...........   

You can easily and fairly  inexpensively outfit an  apartment here.  The  expensive -  refrigerator,  inversor and batteries,   air conditioner,TV.  For the most part  the rest is not too bad depending on where you buy.

Before you invest too much money in anything  come and stay for   6 months  first.  Then  make the decision that this country is a fit and then invest.

Work -  can be hard to find depending on your skill sets!  Opening a business is not simple and  most people  fail at it - mostly due to not knowing how things are done here. Again that  6months really helps!

My wife and i been thinking of moving to the Dominican Republic. Been there on vacation and love it. However vaction and living are two different things. I have an MSW and my wife is a teacher. Waiting for kids to graduate from college. I want to go where we both are still relatively young. I think our retirement can cover us but probably will fine something to do for extra cash. Just want to here from other americans how they like it there. Thanks

My best observation after five years here is the recent statement regarding the difference between vacationing and living here... opposite ends of the earth... I live in Luperon, on the north coast and it was and still is a poor working town that had survived for decades on the passage of cruising yachts that stopped here for hurricane season each year. End of May through about November and they would move on. Yacht Cruising is dying out naturally but the greed of the series of Port Captains assigned here basically shut off the transient yachts and the money they spent each year... It's a tough place to adapt to but those of us who have enjoy it.

If you hope to make money here, you had better have something that you import through a third party, have an internet business or hope to sell a bestseller.

I opened a pizzeria four years ago and did well with the local gringos, the higher income Dominicans and starved on the limited income set... pizza is a luxury and may fit a locals budget once a month back then... now? The country has been plunged into abject poverty and food is the only thing they purchase if survival if important. Settle in, observe quietly and enjoy (don't trust) the locals and the DR is a nice place...

will be visiting in Oct for 10 days prior to our move in Dec. We will land in Punta Cana but were thinking of renting a car and explore all we can in limited time. Most interested in Luperon and North east coast.  Any suggestions????? "must " we have hotel reservations prior or  can we drive till dusk and find a hotel ??? any thoughts would be helpful from those in the know.

toro 125
My wife and I "pulled the plug" 5+ years ago and moved to the Sosua/Cabarete area here on the north coast. We have not looked back for a second, but you must do your homework. Like you said living here is vastly different then vacationing.
We came with out "needing" to work to survive here but did get bored after 6 months or so and started working for a local real estate agency.  This has worked out well and we are supporting ourselves with it.  There is also a tremendous need for expat volunteers and both of us do this either in the local schools or at the free clinic at Monkey Jungle where I run the pharmacy and do medical consults.  It all keeps us quite busy.
You also have to come with the attitude that this is a third world country and you are not going to change much especially by just sitting around and complaining.
Even though we did not do it this way, and it worked out fine, i sould reccomend that you rent a place for 4=6 months before purchasing any home.
Let me know if you have other questions.

Bob K

janl

First of all where are you moving to, norht coast or PC area?

If you want to explore the norht coast area and are only going to be here for 10 days why not fly into Puerto Plata rather then PC.  You will spend two of your 10 days just driving to and from the PC area.  It is a big island and it takes time to get around.
If this is the first time you are going to be driving here be VERY careful as driving here can be VERY dangerous.  There are very few traffic law and most of those are ignored especially by the motos which drive on either side of the street, go the wrong way on one way streets and most have no lights  so very hard to see at night.  I would reccomend that you do not drive at night. Also understand that stop signs, lights etc are only suggestions and ignored frequently.  YOu need the reflexes of a 13 year old on a game boy.
You should be able to find accomadations as you travel, especially if you get to your destination during the day.
Good luck

Bob K

Good advice from Bob K

Please tell me what living in Cofresi might be like...what impact has the Ocen World Adventure Park had on that area, and do you foresee future growth there?
I have not visited and would like to, but I am very familiar with Samana and Bavaro.
What are the major problems with/in Puerto Plata?
Thank You.
Michele

we will be visiting for 9 days and would like to tour the whole country. IS it better to rent a car/ taxi or is it possible to hire a local with a car for the 9 days. any thoughts!!!!

9 days is not nearly enough to "tour the whole country". It takes 1/2 day to drive border to border north and south and a whole day east to west.
Pick and area and explore that(north coast and Santiago, Samana, Punta Cana, Santo domngo).  Cab hires will run you about $100-150 a day.
Driving here is crazy especiallly for a first timmer and I would not reccomend that.

Bob K

Thanks Bob
I Know 9 days is not enough but that is all we have at the moment. Flying to PC was not our choice either but do what we must do !!! In order to get where we what to get.

What we want to do is to get up to Luperon and explore our way back.

Any private car/driver for hire???  that anyone might know? for a 9 day job?

janl

Sorry I don't know of a driver that will take you around for 9 days.  Do understand that if you do find one it will run you approx $150 a day plus his meals and lodging.

Bob K

This message is for Bob K, Hi my name is Kelly and I am new to the forum. I came for the first time to DR/Puerto Plata area in May, then I went back in September for two weeks. I have really enjoyed the country. However, I am planning on moving to Puerto Plata area next summer 2012, but how do I get started..where do I go to get my work permit, residence visa etc. I just do know where to begin. Will someone please help me!

I sent you a PM.

You don't need a work permit but do need a cedula and residency to work here legally.  You should use a lawyer to do this.

Bobb K