Recognition of foreign qualifications in Australia

Hello everyone,

Were your professional qualifications recognised in Australia? What country did you complete your qualifications in? What profession are you in?

Did you have to go through any formalities to get your qualifications recognised, such as to have them translated?

If your qualifications weren't recognised, were there any additional tests or exams you had to complete before you were able to practice your profession in Australia or continue with your studies?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Priscilla

My degree was assessed before our arrival

Hi, If you want to engage in practice as an accountant/taxadvisor, you must a) pass further exams in Australian taxation and company law and b) have two years practical experience in Australia.There is reciprocal recognition for some professions e.g. law.

Hi, I did my studies in computer science in USA. So I did not have to take any farther training or course to get back into IT career in Australia. However, I think  because I already had sound professional experience from USA, I did not face much problem finding a job here in AU. Otherwise, most companies here prefer local experience and/or education.

I worked in Australia for the same international company that I worked for in UK so my qualifications were accepted.

Hi,

I am required to take an english test before my qualifications from Finland will be recognised here. I have a social work degree from Finland. To become one here i need to become a member of Australian Association of Social Workers, AASW. They AASW need me to pass an English test before apply for their membership. Three years ago, that  test cost about 900 Australian dollars. Instead of doing the test, i applied for other jobs and now working in retail.

Besides my BA in social work, i also have a masters degree in Education and Globalisation (also from Finland). That qualifies me to work in curriculum planning, policy analysis, research or admin but i have not bothered myself looking for jobs in those areas.

My advice to professionals intending to come here is to check for what their qualifications are worth before coming here. The recognition process of foreign qualifications requires some documentation from the foreign education authorities which can easily be acquired before you leave your home country. But once you are here it may cost you an arm and a leg.

Cheers,
Camboy291