How to make friends in Emilia Romagna

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in Emilia Romagna :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Emilia Romagna??

Thanks in advance for your participation

Hi,

I think one can make friends fairly easily in this part of the country. I'd previously lived in Liguria for 8 years and it was tough! The people here are naturally more forthcoming and chatty. If you have kids, you'll meet other parents and friendships can often come about. If you haven't got kids, you can always try to find Meetup groups in your area that focus on Expats or a hobby or sport you're interested in.

:)

I have lived in Italy in various parts for over 11 years and have found that italians on the whole mistrust "outsiders" the only thing i have found that has helped .. is always use local services for example bars. shops etc ... if you work ask about local groups hobbies etc .. Italians are into the gym, swimming and the beach mostly. So joining one of these will help.

Hi fannymaloy and Dotty,

Welcome on Expat-blog! :)

Thank you for your contribution.

On the whole I find Italians pretty superficial... they like to come across as being open and welcoming, but I've found that making long lasting, meaningful friendships here is very hard - my good friends are very few in number. The Italians are very attached to their homeland and are much less inclined to travel and work abroad than the Brits, Aussies or Americans... so it's more difficult for them to accept those from outside. That's my take on it, at least :)

Hi,
      although I've lived & worked here for approx. 7 years now, I'd have to absolutely agree with Oprhansock. My family is Italian, although they are all in UK and I was born there. My friends are mostly Brits here, like me with family connections here, I can count my Italian friends on one hand.
      I love the country and I wouldn't go back but honestly I'd compare the average Italian to nail varnish.  Looks great for 3 days, covers a multitude of sins, is about 3 microns deep and as far as longevity is concerned....

That probably offends a few people and it isn't my intention but Italians as being open and friendly, not in this part of the world ..  Southern Itlay seems to be a little different ....

Hello Mark109 and welcome to Expat.com!

Thank you for sharing! :)

Aurélie

I came to live in italy at 12 years old and now i am 38 years old. I think it exactly like you!!! The only friend i have made in all these years is my husband. So i would love to have some south african friends. Sadly my English i not that good after all these years...