Regional environmental concerns, renovation costs and transport

Hi All,

New to this forum.  I've been reading a lot of great things here about a variety of topics, but I'm not sure under what topic these questions should go as I have variety of them.  I'm interested in buying an old stone house and land 2000-3000+meter in the near future in southern Bulgaria (primarily looking at Smolyan, Kardzhali, Sandanski and south Burgas by Turkey).  Mostly, because of the mountains, warmer weather and longer growing season and because I can't handle really cold winters anymore.  I've started looking at online realty websites to get a sense of the market in different areas and availability, but it's hard to tell what's a fair price for these areas.  I'm also trying to research if there are any environmental and public health concerns relating to heavy industry and or issues stemming from mining runoff (open or closed mines).   

- Does anyone know of areas to be wary of because of environmental issues? 

- Would someone be willing to give me a rough idea with purchase price what their costs were for renovations?  I know this will vary with location, ones own inputted time and effort, along with contractors.  I ask this because most houses that are on the cheaper end of the market tend to need total renovation because they don't have an indoor toilet, need rewiring, septic and roof repairs.  I'm not even talking about windows or new plaster work.  Will renovations end up costing me triple the purchase price... that's what I'm trying to get at here...

- Also, are old lead pipes and asbestos a concern in some of these houses or other old and dangerous building products? 

Lastly, how can I find out what public transport is available in small villages.  Is there a website / websites I can look at? Even better, in English?  Or are they more like the Dolmus' in Turkey?

All input is appreciated.
Thanks everyone!!

I've been hearing that the water in the Haskovo region has uranium (or some other pollutant?) in it and is no longer drinkable. It has been all over the news lately, but I haven't followed it closely. I would definitely stay clear of that area until it is sorted, though.

Thanks kojidae!!, 

I will do some searches on it.  I just began to immerse myself in this effort about two months back, so I hadn't even thought of looking at papers that are also in English to see what is in the news.  I had read a month back a comment from one poster from another site talking about uranium issues and pollutants hence why I'm trying to find out more about them.  I've been looking online for published studies and info, but that has been quite a challenge.  However, I did find online some info on air quality amongst other things.  For those that are interested, here's the link:  https://www.osac.gov/pages/ContentRepor … ?cid=19078
Again, it's a long read with a lot of information about Bulgaria and gives a lot of good info too for those that don't know much about the country and some of it's past challenges.  It made me more aware and didn't put me off.