Cost of Living in KL - Potential salary for a family of 3.

Hi There,

I am Mohammed Hafeezulla from Bangalore, India. I am 29 years old married with 6 months old child. I currently work in Bangalore with monthly take home of INR 83,000. My CTC is INR 11,80,000(annually). I have 6.5 years of experience and currently I am a Senior Software Engineer/Senior Application Developer.

I am in talks with one of the leading Service Provider/Consulting company. I have cleared all my rounds and awaiting their call for salary discussions.

Based on the posts I have gone through, the average salary in KL is around 8,000 MYR per month for my experience and skill set. So, would like to know considering family of 3 what offer would be potential to be accepted?

I also would like to understand what all will be deducted from the salary apart from tax? I understand 25% is the tax deduction.

Major expenses I assume would be:

House
Utilities (water, electricity, satellite TV, internet, mobile)
Groceries
Transport
Taxes
Entertainment / Shopping
Medicals

Please add if I have missed any other expenses and request to quote a ball park figure so that I get a clear picture to negotiate. Early response would be highly appreciated.

Many Thanks.

No, tax is not 25%. If you are not working in the country for 182 days or more the non-resident flat rate is 28%  But if you become tax resident, then you pay a GRADUATED system i.e. you pay a set percentage on different bands of salary income. The percentage rises, so people earning 250k or more will pay say 24% on just the income over 250k. If the earn even more, then when they have income that falls within a higher tax band, the percentage changes again.  The rates are shown here:

http://lampiran.hasil.gov.my/pdf/pdfam/ … d05aa9d26ehttp://lampiran.hasil.gov.my/pdf/pdfam/ … d05aa9d26e

COL varies according to lifestyle and desire to spend. You can check out this at either Expatistan or Numbeo to compare to your current  expenditures. There is a comparison tool to compare two cities as well.

House 2-3k (this depends on location, size, age)
Utilities (water, electricity, satellite TV, internet, mobile) 400
Groceries 1500
Transport 300 (Public) Taxis 200
Taxes (check out the links above)
Entertainment / Shopping 1000
Medicals (depends on coverage - your employer has to give you h/insurance by law) 400

Hi Gravitas,

Thanks for the reply.

Well, I can decide on the tax only when they roll out the offer. So apart from taxes, will I have any more deductions like EPF, etc... which I need to consider?

I have a decent lifestyle and I do not spend lavishly. My only aim would be to save as much as I can.

So, if I roughly calculate monthly expenses provided medical is provided by the company and if I squeeze expenses in terms of entertainment and shopping, it would come around 4500 - 5000 MYR(excluding tax).

Let me wait for the offer and then further discuss here before I accept the same.

Thanks once again :)

-Hafeez

What usually happens is that companies will deduct the employee EPF contribution of about 12% but they do not make the  employer contribution for foreigners - or they make a nominal contribution but not a percentage of earnings. So the EPF savings will be basically just your own plus a small amount. I am not sure if you can opt out of having the EPF deduction taken or not. I think you also will pay for your medical insurance under the corporate policy. The coverage may be low. Definitely points for discussion.

Thanks for the information Gravitas. I will definitely consider the above points while discussing.

Hopeful of getting back here with more queries very soon.

Hi Gravitas,

Offer has been rolled out and I am yet to confirm the same.

I have been given the following offer:

Monthly Base - MYR 9200
Telco Allowance - MYR 200
They are giving one time Joining Bonus and Relocation Bonus.
Company is providing Medical Insurance for self, spouse and 2 children.
There will be personal accident life insurance coverage too.
EPF is optional. If I opt then company too will add equal share.
Tax will be 26% for first 183 days and then it might be around 8 -12% based on take home.
There will be annual bonus of 5 - 10% based on performance.

So, is it a good deal or can I negotiate?

Your prompt response will be helpful.

Thanks,
Hafeez

To be honest, very well done, that sounds like an acceptable package to me...... especially about the EPF. They sound like a good employer. I would say you need to compare the package to your current situation. You no doubt checked out Numbeo and Expatistan - cos I think the COL here is about 50-70% higher.... The upfront allowances will come in handy.

I have posted a link in the next message, so you can compare the salary offer.

Take a look at this website to compare salaries

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/kual … O13,37.htm

Hi Gravitas,

Thank you for the reply.

Well I checked and see that the package which has been offered is what has been mentioned in Glassdoor. I will check how feasible it is to negotiate further.

In many posts I have been reading COL in Malaysia is comparatively less but Numbeo says it is 30% more than compared to my current city. However, COL also depends on the lifestyle we opt to live.

Lets see, I will get back to you with final package which will be offered to me.

Regards,
Hafeez

All I can suggest is you do the basket of goods test - which is to cross check the price of items you buy regularly. That will confirm the sort of differences

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-livi … /bangalore

Basically you need to cover the additional expenditure plus a margin for advancement.  Personally I find the quality of life in Malaysia very high and that you can't put a figure on. Money is not everything,

Hi Gravitas,

My employer has reverted with the updated base offer of 10K per month and the rest compensation and benefits remain same.

I have accepted the offer.

All,

I will be starting my new job in September mid post visa approval. My office would be located in and around KLCC. So, my next big task is to find an accommodation. I will stay alone till December and bring my family in January.

When alone I am planning to stay in a shared room or a single room or a studio apartment. So what would be the feasibility of finding one of the above in KLCC area and what would be an approximate rent?

Any suggestions would be of great help.

Thanks,
Hafeez

If you want a studio, you could take a look at Maytower at Dang Wangi. You may also be able to find a short-term room through www.ibilik.my or see what is available on internations dot org.

Thanks Gravitas. I will check the said links.