Visa and bipolar disorder diagnosis?

Hi, I'm a UK citizen hoping to move to Vietnam to work as an English teacher. I have a Cambridge CELTA tefl certificate, a first class honours degree, and three years experience of teaching English abroad. However, I have a diagnosis of bipolar disorder, and have been taking meds (mood stabilizers and antidepressants) for this for over 15 years. I have been stable for some years now (last hospitalization was in 2010), holding down full-time work, and have even been discharged by the mental health services and just get meds from my family doctor now. I have heard that having a diagnosis like this, and taking medication may prevent me from getting a visa for Vietnam, and/or a work permit. Some people seem to be advising not to declare it, but I don't feel comfortable doing that, and will have to declare it to get travel insurance anyway, so surely it could easily be cross checked?  Also concerned about how I would then access the medication once I was in Vietnam. Any advice greatly appreciated.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and will prolly get shot down for it, but anyway.... My advice is not to tell anyone. Make sure that you have an adequate supply of the drugs you need with you - enough to last you until your next trip back home. You can get a lot of drugs over the counter here, but you need to be careful as counterfeit prescription drugs abound here.

Thank you for your reply, eodmatt. Yes, I'm aware that I will need to keep it to myself. My concern is whether, either during application for the visa or the work permit, that I will be explicitly asked whether I have any mental illnesses, and whether omitting to share that information could potentially result in getting fined or worse... Or would they just send me home if they found out?

As further background information, I receive this diagnosis when I was 20 years old (in mid thirties now) after only one short appointment with a psychiatrist. Since then, other doctors have declared they don't see why I was given the diagnosis, and believed my past issues were due to trauma (with resulting depression/anxiety etc. Hospitalisations have been for major depression and self harm rather than mania). However, they cannot take it off my record, and I was doing so well they were reluctant to risk me coming off the drugs. However, I've since had intensive treatment (EMDR) for trauma, which has been life-changing. My current GP has even suggested that I now slowly reduce the meds, with a view to coming off them completely, as the original diagnosis is not certain and I've been stable for so long. I'm thinking it may be best to wait until I (hopefully) have slowly reduced and come off the medication (with a long enough period of stability) before moving to Vietnam... That way the medication will not be an issue, and my blood work will also be clear. If it turns out that I do indeed have bipolar disorder and need to go back on the meds, at least I will know for sure then. However, will I still be asked to declare any past mental illness diagnoses? Sorry for all the questions, I just need to have as much information as possible to make an informed decision as to whether this is a viable option for me.

I can't advise you on your therapeutic treatment (obviously, as I am an explosives engineer and not a quack).

I have a 5 year temporary residence permit (but I don't have a work permit as I don't generally work in Vn these day) as I am married to a wonderful Vietnamese lady, which includes a temporary ID card.

I didn't have to provide any evidence of my sanity or general health - although some people say I am nuts cos I deal with bombs and stuff.

The only time I hd to have any kind of psychiatric assessment was when I got married and had to fill in a form and be interviewed by a shrink. Which was straightforward enough. I don't think you would have had any probs.

Just out of interest  I can tell you that before we were married my then g/f and I had to be interviewed by a senior bloke from the Peoples Committee in the city where she was born. The bloke asked me why it was that I had previously been married twice. Before I could stop myself (on account of being of a quirky nature) I Responded that the reason I had been married twice before was that I like wedding cake.

He duly wrote it down.

I cannot answer your question of if you will be asked of any mental health problems on your work application...there are lots of teachers on the forum so hopefully will reciive and answer for that one shortly.
My advice is  to come clean if you are asked otherwise what happens if your future employer learns about it,they cannot send you home but they can terminate your contract.
I suffer with Clinical Depression.It started when I was about 40,took 3 years to find the correct tablets,as you know we are all different so react to tablets differently,took the tabs for about 15 years and gradually stopped them 4 years ago knowing I was to retire in Vietnam,had no problems,so here I am in Hcmc for nearly a year...and now the depression is coming back!
Medicine/ any health treatment especially mental health is not in any way near the Uk.Probably because of my illness I have not  a lot of faith in any doctors here so I have to consider going back to the Uk and for this reason I would say to you be careful and have a back up plan.Is there anyway you can bring along a couple of months medication?.When you arrive ask about for a mental health doctors practice,get yourself along there to ask if he can source your tablets if you need them in the future.I have seen previous posts on the forum which have identified doctors practicing mental health.This might take some time but make a friend who you trust aware of your problem and that you might need some verbal help in the future...nothing worse than being thousands of miles away from home with a phsyciatric problem,no medication and no one to rely on....I experience this and I have my wife to lean on!!
You need to look for Health and Accident Insurance as opposed to travel insurance.Its a regular topic, and it's a minefield.It might be worth looking around  and making a choice before you travel but after viewing the regular insurance posts there are policies that cater for pre existing health problems.Also have a look at Tenzing Insurance Services here in Hcmc,they are a broker and their site lists the companies they deal with.You can look at the individual sites for one which caters for pre existing conditions.
Hope this helps!

@eodmatt Thank you. That's ok, I'm not  asking for therapeutic advice (I actually work in mental health), more just interested in practical information, e.g. what questions will be asked, whether it would be wise to wait until I'm no longer taking medication before moving out there etc (as meds may need to be declared in health check).  That made me laugh about the wedding cake, bless him! :)

Hi Gareth, thanks for your reply and the useful information. I'm sorry to hear things have become so difficult for you, and do hope you will find the best possible option in moving forward. Yes, the insurance does seem like a minefield, and there is so much to find out and research before I even consider setting a date. Yes, if I am still taking the meds I could take a couple of months worth with me.

I've also decided on job seeking in Hanoi rather than HCMC as it appears smaller and slightly less chaotic for a first experience :)

If you're getting a work permit then you'll need a medical here in VN. You will be asked specifically about psychological conditions on the form and likely in person by the neurologist supervising the medical. Especially if they have any experience with the disease. They won't challenge you, but you'll squirm.

AFAIK Asian countries generally dispute the existence of psychological conditions and see them as western afflictions. This means you may have difficulty getting the meds you need. Any pharmacist can dispense whatever you ask for, without a prescription, if they have it. My point is that they may not have what you need at all or they may suggest substitutes that they do have.

There's also the issue that some ex-pats believe that some medications, especially from India, may be outright fake or simply ineffective due to lower dosages than stated on the box.

Everyone should check the meds they're given on-line before taking them. Don't take anything unlabelled.   

I have met many ex-pats with diagnosed psychological conditions, especially in Korea. Make sur you have a trusted support network. Read up on culture shock. Irrational feelings of anger and paranoia about 4 to 6 weeks in. Those are the worst symptoms. It may not be an issue at all but OTOH it could complicate  things for you.

Some among those I met stopped their meds because of various reasons. It was then obvious to all what symptoms the meds were suppressing. Homeopathic cures such as wort something or other can interfere with meds. Grapefruit is well known to interfere with all kinds of meds. Bipolar disease is associated with heart attacks.

Of all the Asian countries one could work in, Korea is probably the best for medical support by a long shot. Lots of peer support, meds and treatment options. But again work permit medicals will explicitly ask about psychological conditions. 

BTW bipolar isn't just about mania. You should read up on it and don't be confused about meds working or simply just not having an episode as possible proof of a misdiagnosis. Bipolar disease sufferers often have another disorder as well such as anxiety disorder for example. No meds for that here.

A decision to leave one's country to teach abroad may well be a symptom. Risky behaviour is definitely a symptom. BP is a biatch.

NIMH Bipolar Disorder

Medications can be very expensive here, not to mention regular blood work to check liver and bladder function when taking meds regularly. Lithium? Requires monthly blood work IIRC. It can take half a day to get this stuff done at a hospital. Your pay (most likely) may not support all this.  Especially if you forego the work permit. Did I mention risk?

I should mention that Korea now requires doctor's prescriptions for meds.

I'm glad I ran across this post. I have just reluctantly returned from Saigon 5 days ago after spending 2 months there with the intention of teaching English to supplement my income.

I have Bi-polar disorder and a couple of other acronyms as well. Prior to moving to Vietnam, I did a lot of research on this subject. I'm always responsible about my mental health but try not to let it anchor me down. I'm from the US and take 4 different psych meds. Because of existing laws, I was only aloud one month's supply of medications. So, I asked questions here on expat with few responses and contacted Western style hospitals and clinics in HCMC. I had an appointment with a Western trained Vietnamese doctor from one of these clinics before I even left the States and felt comfortable that I could find the medication I need or at least comparable meds.

What I found when I got there was not what I expected to find. I made my appointment with the psychiatrist in HCMC, bringing documentation from my home psychiatrist and he wrote me a prescription for the medication I needed, but their pharmacy didn't have most of the medication and what they did have was outrageously priced.
Long story short...A month into my 2 month stay in Vietnam, I ran out of medication and couldn't find or afford what was available, so I was faced with a difficult decision. Stay and try no meds and risk an episode or reluctantly return home and seek medication. I have a Vietnamese girlfriend who was thankfully by my side the whole time.

During the second month I started recognizing symptoms getting worse. I didn't want to leave but she ended up talking me into it. I also had visions of a Vietnamese crisis ward in the back of my mind. Not very appealing.

I decided to make a reservation for a flight home and was barely capable of dealing with the 4 long flights in a confined space with all the people crammed aboard.

I made it home and immediately went to the hospital for treatment. I spent a week there and got out this morning feeling halfway normal. I would suggest not underestimating the difficulties you will face if you can't bring enough medication or can't afford to go to a neighboring country like Thailand, Singapore or Malaysia for treatment.

I have lived in other third world countries where the cost and availability of medication is far better. I thought I wouldn't have a problem in Vietnam but I was wrong. I think the understanding of mental illness in Vietnam and Asia has a long way to go.

I suggest a trial run without medication before you make the journey. It might save you some of what I went through or at least give you peace of mind in knowing where you stand when you do arrive. PM me if you want any specific Info about doctors, clinics and hospitals.
Best of luck to you,

T

Hi, I am in Vietnam for months or years to come.  Had know idea about difficulty to find medecine here.  I shall be very grateful if you could PM me doctors informed  on occidental illness as Bipolar disorder.  The pharmacies you know that carry on Lithium.  And please give me some
Indications on what outrageous price it is ?  Like 2 x 300gr per day could cost ?
I shall be very grateful

Surely,  in the unlikely case the medical test was fit for purpose,  you would be declared mentally unfit and couldn't get a work permit etc?? Not that Thay bothers 95 percent of teachers.

Hate to sound harsh but I did have an ex who is bipolar,  social services took away her kids......

Hello, I am a Canadian living now in Hoi An.
Do you have any valuable info on how /where I can get Lithium in Central Vietnam, or in all Vietnam.
Thanks

Hey Marie...

I was wondering how you were doing. Did you manage to get things worked out? Well, obviously not if you are still looking. Dumb question... What did you find out in Saigon? Your now in Hoi an or Hue? In central Vietnam, the best place to look for medication would be Danang. Its the 3rd largest city in Vietnam and would probably have the most options. There is a large expat community there also. You could look for the FB page for Danang expats and ask about pharmacies that would carry your medication.

Also, please let me know what happened in Saigon so I can pass that information on to others. I like to stay informed to answer the questions other expats have. This would be very much appreciated. If any information I gave you didnt work out, I need to know... Things tend to change rapidly here...haha.

Thanks for helping,

Tumbleweed

Yep,
I am still searching, but it seems very clear by now, that I will not find.
I will have to use something else,
As of Saigon, do not have info.
Thanks for your reply !
Ciao,

Many psychotropic drugs are banned here in Vietnam. Bring them in can make for huge problems. I would suggest you research the particular meds you are on for availability here and if they are banned. Good luck

I will. Thank you very much ,  ciao

FV hospital or Diamond Plaza should be able to tell you if your particular meds are available. The Vietnam Embassy it it website can tell you what meds are not allowed