Question about my visa / possible overstay

Hi
My name is Maikel, im from Holland and currently trying to get married in Brazil, however we reached a small problem which is my visa.
As a european im only allowed 90days per 180 days to stay here as a tourist.
I was here for 20 days in Januari this year and i came back here again on the 5th of April.
Because i had already spend 20 days in Brazil i can only stay for 70 days now, which means i have to leave the country in 2 days for a period of 2 weeks because my new 'credit' of 90 days will start again from the 1st of July.
You seem to know alot about visa's from what i read so my question is this.

What if i choose to overstay my visa for lets say 12 days.. so that would be till the 27th of June, and then book a small trip to Argentina or any other country surrounding Brazil and fly back on the 2nd of July, then ofcourse i would have to pay the fine for the 12 days overstay at the airport and most likely will get a stamp in my passport, but will this give me any problem returning to Sao Paulo on the 2nd of June?

I tried contacting the immigration and the federal police but they are either unreachable or unwilling to talk.
Im with my hands tied right now, i really dont know what to do.
Financially it would be a to big of a blow to fly back to Holland on such short notice, also it wouldnt make alot of sense since i just need to leave the country for 15 days.

I really hope someone can help me!!

Kind regards,

Maikel

Dutchmike wrote:

Hi
My name is Maikel, im from Holland and currently trying to get married in Brazil, however we reached a small problem which is my visa.
As a european im only allowed 90days per 180 days to stay here as a tourist.
I was here for 20 days in Januari this year and i came back here again on the 5th of April.
Because i had already spend 20 days in Brazil i can only stay for 70 days now, which means i have to leave the country in 2 days for a period of 2 weeks because my new 'credit' of 90 days will start again from the 1st of July.
You seem to know alot about visa's from what i read so my question is this.

What if i choose to overstay my visa for lets say 12 days.. so that would be till the 27th of June, and then book a small trip to Argentina or any other country surrounding Brazil and fly back on the 2nd of July, then ofcourse i would have to pay the fine for the 12 days overstay at the airport and most likely will get a stamp in my passport, but will this give me any problem returning to Sao Paulo on the 2nd of June?

I tried contacting the immigration and the federal police but they are either unreachable or unwilling to talk.
Im with my hands tied right now, i really dont know what to do.
Financially it would be a to big of a blow to fly back to Holland on such short notice, also it wouldnt make alot of sense since i just need to leave the country for 15 days.

I really hope someone can help me!!

Kind regards,

Maikel

hi there
well you can say 180 days in total from when you fist come in
but the visa is for 90 days, you can extend your visa for another 90 days by going to the Federal police that are nearest to where your staying
filling out a form and paying some money

Unfortunately this is not possible because i have a european passport and they do not grand any extentions to europeans..
According to the PF i will have another 90 days valid visa starting on the 1st of july, thats why i have to leave the country for 2 weeks.
Im just wondering if it would be any problem if i overstay lets say 10 days before leaving, pay the fine before i leave brazil to any other country close by for example argentina/praguay etc and then come back on the 2nd of july
Will they let me enter the country on my new 90 day visa, or will they send me back? Thats my concern at the moment..

Dutchmike wrote:

Unfortunately this is not possible because i have a european passport and they do not grand any extentions to europeans..
According to the PF i will have another 90 days valid visa starting on the 1st of july, thats why i have to leave the country for 2 weeks.
Im just wondering if it would be any problem if i overstay lets say 10 days before leaving, pay the fine before i leave brazil to any other country close by for example argentina/praguay etc and then come back on the 2nd of july
Will they let me enter the country on my new 90 day visa, or will they send me back? Thats my concern at the moment..

Hi i think your find what there saying as rubbish, i have a europen pastport as well eventhow im english....i was here 180 days before i applied for my extension

I would not worry about over staying it just about R$9 aday, and you can pay the fine on your return to brazil

I would "HIGHLY" suggest that you pay the fine before you leave Brazil or you get a big UGLY "MULTA" stamp in your passport showing you over stayed and applying for visa where you nationality and passport needs one "Might" bring up questions of why you over stayed your visit in Brazil.

An over stay stamp does not really look good for immigration officials in other countries so I'd suggest you pay the fine before you leave the country that way there is no stamp!!!

The stamp serves as a reminder that you have not paid the fine so they can ask for it on your next entry into this country!!!

Best Regards,
Mr. Duncan

Dutchmike,

As long as you are already married with the marriage certificate "IN HAND" you can overstay as long as you want and still apply for Permanency with no problem there is a law in place here in Brazil which protects against the division of any family unit, this simply means as long as you have your marriage certificate "IN HAND" your not deportable!

You will still have to pay for the "MULTA" which is the fine for any amount of days you over stayed but your application will still be accepted, the MULTA stamp goes on a printed GRU ticket you need to pay at Banco Do Brasil and not your passport upon the acceptance of your petition for Permanency.

If you do however overstay without filing for Permanency and you leave "WITHOUT PAYING IN BRAZIL" for the MULTA, the stamp goes in your passport!

Hope this info saves you some cash and the hassle of flying all the way back to Holland.

Best Regards,
Mr. Duncan.

Dutchmike, have someone in Holland send all the documents you need for marriage after getting the apostilled and get married. You won't be deported if you've got the wedding appointment made and paid for. GO to the PF near you and get your visa extension. Get married. Don't worry about leaving the country.

I was recently at the Rio airport to ask a question in exactly this direction.
The problem really is that over the phone no one picks it up out there, but you could try their (Po Fed i mean) headquarters in Rio, there they do pick up the phone, but you better have someone that speaks PO with you for that because they don't speak anything foreign :-(

What i have learned out there was this .. they gave me a form to extend my stay, cost is about 110 Reais, bank statements required and whatever else you can show them to prove you are here solely as a tourist (or retiree or so and not to do any paid work). Oh, and a valid RETURN flight too!!

Now, it seems somewhat strange to me that they gave me this form because as someone else stated here, EU member countries can no longer have more than 90 days within a 180 days period (same crap as the US),  so i am a bit surprised and i plan to get my papers together and go there without the payment made and see if this is for real or what and also whether i can pay the extension cost at the bank inside the airport at which i had to pay the fine for over staying 2 years ago, just when they changed from 90 + 90 days to 90 within 180 days only, so i have my backside covered in case this was misleading info, but if you can access a Fed Po office somewhere i'd advice to ask about this extension option and post the answer here IMPORTANT, so we all know.

However, final option.... stay anyway. It's only kind of illegal here, if you do have a return ticket and can proof you have enough money to support your stay here they would not kick you out, they will only charge you per excess day, in my case it was 60 days, at about 8 Reais per day, in total around 150 or so Euro's, nothing to get bankrupt about - and, wonder oh wonder, they did not want me to pay when i left, they told me i have t pay next time i come back!! And, if i would not come back within 5 years it would become null and void .. so, there you have two options, but the best would be you go to one of these offices, if you have a local friend take 'em with you to translate and ask your questions so you have first hand info and know what's best for you....

When I extended my visa in 2012, they only asked for the extension fee and to see the receipt for my return trip. I had to show bank statements and get an invitation letter when I was applying for my visa in Los Angeles.