Teaching Salary in the Dominican Republic

Hi everyone!  I'm an experienced teacher currently living in the U.S.  I have been a bilingual teacher for 8 years here, and am considering moving to the Dominican Republic.  However, I'm unsure what teacher salary expectations I should have.  Does anybody know anything about how much American elementary school teachers can expect to earn in the DR?  Thanks!

You can expect nothing.  First off you need to have your residency and cedula before you can work here legally.  In the public system your chances of a job will be zero.  You may find a job in the private school sector (with your residency) and the pay will be still very low, maybe in the $500 a month range. or a bit more to start.

Before you do anything rash come down and spend a few months here to see if it works for you

Bob K

Welcome to the forums. Yup Bob has it right. Very low pay here. The best options are international schools and everyone wants those jobs.

Thank you both for your responses.  I'm a little confused about the residency requirements you mentioned though, Bob.  I've already been offered a job and currently live in the U.S.  According to the information the consulate/embassy sent me, I don't need to apply for residency, but rather a Business Visa for Employment Purposes.  :/

Thanks again for your input regarding teacher salaries!  I've been teaching in the states for 8 years and am so used to the salary schedules being posted, I wanted to make sure to not be taken advantage of ;)

Your employment visa process starts with the school. They should walk you thru the process.

Bob was referring to anyone coming without a job already!  I made the same assumption that you were coming to loom for work NOT that you had an offer already.

I'm sorry, I should have explained myself better.  I have some offers from other countries as well, so I'm trying to decide which one to accept.  It seemed that trying to get a visa after arriving in the country would be difficult if not impossible, so I'm trying to look into my options before leaving the country.  Thanks again!

That is a great idea,  look into it NOW.  They take time to get put into place.

Yes - just getting in touch with the Dominican Consulate here took quite an effort lol.