Schools in loiza

My name is Mary. My husband Joe and I just rented a house in Loiza. We moved here from Arizona on may 23rd. I would like your info on any schools in this area. Thanks

Hope someone can give you info on this. I am not aware of any active members living in Loiza

I have found Loiza an interesting town since I first saw it in my teens. I am surprised you found a place to rent there. I would love to hear how it is for you. Maybe you will find people into drumming and making drums there.
Shelley Van Heusen

Loiza is not a place I recommend to expats, not even to the majority of the natives either. There is a good amount of crime there, but you can find good deals. Had I been single I would have considered it since I grew up in a bad part of Santurce and Loiza is nowhere as bad as that.

We have been here about 1 week. The house is in a high security community. The owner has let us pick the colors to paint the inside and outside. Angel, our maintenance man is fixing up the major and minor things around the house. Everyone we meet has been wonderful and very helpful. We have left the house open so Angel can come and go.

Sounds like a nice place, give us a description, how big is it and what you paying a month?

ReyP wrote:

Sounds like a nice place, give us a description, how big is it and what you paying a month?

It is Urb. Vista del Oceano. 4 bedroom, 2 bath. Wasn't furnished so we have been buying  from Rooms 2 go outlet. Love that place. Think the house is about 1500 sf. Paying $750. It Has A Solar Water Heater. We get our pod next week so our home will be pretty much furnished. Has a fenced yard, block from the swimming pool and 4-5 blk to private beach. Small community

Sounds great!!!!

Rey what part of Santurce are you from?  My mother and her family grew up in Santurce.

10YRStoRincon wrote:

Rey what part of Santurce are you from?  My mother and her family grew up in Santurce.

Las Monjas (calle 6), Cantera, across the lagoon from Barrio Obrero, I did high school in Barrio Obrero. I used to go across the super stinky lagoon (Caño Martin Peña) in these wooden row boats that a guy used to cross us for a few coins. Don't remember how much it was but it was probably a dime or a quarter. It was a long walk to Parada 26 or 27 (Santurce) I don't recall, it was like 50 or more years ago. We had a local bar about 5 houses away where there was at least 1 fight a week, usually with knives, sometimes a gun and the mildest one was where they broke the pools sticks against each other. Perfect neighborhood. I was there from 3 to 15.

House across the street there was a teenager and his grandmother, their house was made out of old pieces of wood and had a dirt floor, she made money by holding vigils at her place and singing the rosary.

One day I need to stop by and see how much it has changed, our wooden house was on stills because the stinky lagoon would sometimes go over and flood several of the streets. Seems it is still occurring, the Corps of Engineer has a project to drag the lagoon but it may still be like that for another 5 more years. The house was just a few streets away from El Fanguito.

My mother grew up in Barrio Obrero as well and Lloren Torres.  I know she went to elementary school republica del Peru in Santurce but I can't remember which HS.   Her favorite beach was La Playa del Ultimo Trolley.  Her step father sold piraguas there until he opened up a business in Vista Mar in Carolina.  After my grandmother and my mother passed away we sold the business in vista mar.

Actually....i remember she went to Ramon Power.  Not sure if that's near where you grew up.  They lived there until 1970.

10YRStoRincon wrote:

Actually....i remember she went to Ramon Power.  Not sure if that's near where you grew up.  They lived there until 1970.

I was there until around 1968, then moved to Villa Fontana Carolina (our first concrete house and screens in the windows). In 73 I joined the Army and have been in the states since. I do not recall that school, sorry but I do remember hearing its name.

thanks for including me in these stories... very interesting.
Shelley