Cabin fever

it just got worse

its one thing knowing you have to steel yourself for the final few days of feb, but when they start telling you jan all 31 days of it was even worse, and on top of that, theres at least another two weeks in march to get through, before you can see the other side, thats something else

thats what i call cabin fever

what makes it worse is, there is no log cabin or snowdrifts, just a cruel dusting of the white stuff, look outside

all quiet on the cabin front, doesnt anyone else get the fever?

i get sad when its overcast, but afternoon sun makes it better

you can wax all you want about early daffs, but short of leaving them basking for long periods in the warmth of your car exhaust, theres no way they gonna flower in feb.  sure the toxins will kill them, but at least youll have given them a good early bloom before they keel over

logger wrote:

you can wax all you want about early daffs, but short of leaving them basking for long periods in the warmth of your car exhaust, theres no way they gonna flower in feb.  sure the toxins will kill them, but at least youll have given them a good early bloom before they keel over

I hear you Logger.

I always thought of Spring as optimistic but I'm seeing precious little Spring right now, looking like Dullsville where I am. As a person from the UK, we always see Spring a little earlier, average temperatures are higher than out this way.

Mrs Fluffy is always complaining that I get the months mixed up because, I'm always used to August being the warmest and of course the holiday month butI don't seem to be able to remember that Spring comes later here.

Be thankful were not in Alaska or Greenland. Then we'd really have cabin fever.

I am still hoping for the daffs to come out next week.

Logger, you are letting it get to you!
Keep fighting it!!!
Spring is near!

BTW we saw Snowdrops in full bloom last weekend, they might have frozen to death in this morning's -10 C.

Look on the bright side: Kids (well, mine definitely) love stomping through the frozen puddles, shattering every bit of ice with their pittery-pattery little feet in combat boots :-)

Or best not event think about it for a few more weeks:
Anyone else a Firefly fan here?

szocske wrote:

I always thought it was overrated. 

I'm presently into V (the latest version) but I'm seriously concerned about the quality of writing. I am not sure I can last the course. I expect it'll get cancelled.

I was surprised to learn that SGU (Stargate Universe) was cancelled in December last year. Shame about that as it was getting better.

Worst thing I have seen recently is "Ghost Whisperer".  The whole thing is weird - all filmed on a studio lot which reminds me of Back to the Future. The lead character (Jennifer Love Hewitt) has the strangest ears. Almost elf like. She could get a job as a vulcan in the next Star Trek movie without ear attachments. As for her husband and partner in the antique shop, talk about shallow. The characters have as much depth as a cardboard cutout. And it lasted for 4 seasons....

fluffy2560 wrote:
szocske wrote:

I always thought it was overrated.

I guess not then :-)
The writing and acting do have a certain "Teletubies trying to be serious" quality most of the time, I admit.
But I could watch it another hundred times for the music, the interior design, the cut-scenes, or the general atmosphere alone.
Each.

Also, my wife (rabid sci-fi hater) likes it, so it's definitely special!

And the dialog is still funny!

Anyway, let's skip it then, how about Futurama? There's a new season since the movies!

szocske wrote:

The writing and acting do have a certain "Teletubies trying to be serious" quality most of the time, I admit........Anyway, let's skip it then, how about Futurama? There's a new season since the movies!

Whinge on! Teletubbies is Shakespeare compared to some of the drivel that is pushed these days. Reality shows like Big Brother - programmes about people doing nothing and watched by people doing nothing. One of the weirdest concepts ever. If I wanted to watch people going about domestic life, I'd just turn off the TV and spend it watching my kids, wife and relatives - more entertaining. Whinge off!

Haven't seen Futurama recently but it's OK. I do like the Simpsons but unfortunately I haven't seen it for months.

But back to my complaining, I can see a serious lack of Sci-Fi developing over the next few months.

Is this thread becoming off-topic???? :/

Yud wrote:

Is this thread becoming off-topic???? :/

Well, depends. Cabin Fever looks like it's about how we cope in the winter - watching TV and complaining about it seems to be the flavour at the moment. I expect we'll move on soon. In fact, let's do that.....

What physical things can one do in the winter? (apart from snow related stuff like skiing, sledging, hiking)...

Ah ok... Carry on then ;)

Sure, let's move on (albeit I'd like to encourage those reading less frequently than us to chime in on the older topics as well if they feel like :-) )
I too must note how most shows mentioned (firefly, futurama, teletubies, reality shows) confines a large number of characters into an uncomfortably small space :-)

Most of the sporting opportunities are indoors anyway (especially in the city), so you can carry on with those uninterrupted.
Saunas in baths and swimming pools are extra popular in the cold.
A long time ago we frequented the Szecheny open-air thermal bath with my parents, and tiptoeing in the snow from the sauna to the pool was the main highlight of the experience :-)

Biking is fine as long as it's above -10C, there's no mud as long as it's below zero.

Chopping wood is in season too :-)

wow thats so weird having ones cabin fever meditated for subject slippage.   hey floppy and szocske you guys better shape up and stick to subject else your literary history just joking :)

appreciate your supportive banter even though dont have a clue what youre going on about as far as tv programs and characters also blinded by double appearance of yads cheerful avatar in the same thread which gives me an idea for another topic ...

we arent out of the woods on this one yet by a long chalk

We had -14*c on Tuesday morning and another dusting of snow this morning :( Better than the 10cm that we were told we'd get though.
Definitely looking forward to some slightly warmer weather as this feels like it's been a looong winter. When it warms up and the mornings/evenings are a little lighter I can strt to get on with the gardening and walking in the forest.
I love spring just before the leaves appear on the trees. It's a great time to go walking. All the baby animals are being born and it's nice and warm in the mornings. When the leaves appear it's harder to see into the forest. Only a couple of weeks now hopefully :)