The best things to discover in Bulgaria

Hello everyone,

What have you discovered in Bulgaria that you would recommend to other expats?

Are there any places that you enjoy visiting on the weekends, be it areas of natural beauty or shopping malls? Are there any Bulgarian dishes that you would recommend?

What are some of the best activities in Bulgaria?

Are there any unique customs or places you were introduced to by locals that you think other expats might be interested in? Are there any local festivals that expats might want to get involved with?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Priscilla

The place I discovered last week was a restaurant called Aksakovska panorama.

Every step was intriguing

Sofiyski State Opera Theater is very good. Rich repertoire, nice acoustics, normal staging without modern producers idiocy (almost without), good voices.

And my family likes the State Musical Theater http://musictheatre.bg/ too. Some actors are wonderful! Who would have thought that Feri in Czardas Princess (Принцесата на Чардаш) could become one of the main characters...
Meanwhile the tickets are cheap there.

The Bulgarian Danube, especially the area between Rousse and Silistra. Even my late Bulgarian husband, who had traversed almost all the country location scouting for films, had never been to this region and when we discovered Tutrakan in particular, decided it was the place for us and bought a few properties here. It's a quiet place- not much going on except a few music festivals for young people such as July Morning (an all-night rock fest)- and slightly strange as a few developers have bought up large tracts of the coast and river view properties, and yet have done nothing with them as yet. Promised some day are yacht ports, a ferry dock and a big modern hotel in the center, after which I may have to move on ;). But I do recommend visitors/expats to get off the beaten track this summer and give the region a visit. Bird lovers may want to note the Sreburna reserve and a lovely guest house there run by two English folks who have a long commitment to the area and its natural wonders.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to say where this is?

If it's in Sofia, please make this clear. Not everyone lives there!

Irakli Beach, especially south part of it.