Cherries - a luxury in Malta, but not in Sicily..

Last week-end I went for a trip in Sicily. Beside enjoining a beautiful country side, I also found a lot of farmers selling cherries along the road. The prices were between 1.5 Euro/kilo to 3.5 E/kilo ( top quality ). I actually came back to Malta with 4 kg of cherries in my carry-on baggage.. :)
Yesterday I went to local fruit store and a nearby supermarket, the cherries are 8 or 9 Euro/kilo... a luxury ; maybe they should sell these fruits by piece... :)
So if you want to eat a lot of ( affordable ) cherries , sometimes it's cheaper to fly to Sicily... :)

btw, local figs are 5-6 E/kilo????

nicknamero wrote:

Last week-end I went for a trip in Sicily. Beside enjoining a beautiful country side, I also found a lot of farmers selling cherries along the road. The prices were between 1.5 Euro/kilo to 3.5 E/kilo ( top quality ). I actually came back to Malta with 4 kg of cherries in my carry-on baggage.. :)
Yesterday I went to local fruit store and a nearby supermarket, the cherries are 8 or 9 Euro/kilo... a luxury ; maybe they should sell these fruits by piece... :)
So if you want to eat a lot of ( affordable ) cherries , sometimes it's cheaper to fly to Sicily... :)

Cherries on a local stall in Gozo yesterday worked out at about €4.00/Kilo.
Ray

Saw some in Arcadia today @ €14.00 a Kilo ???????? and they were rubbish quality.

RayAucote wrote:

Saw some in Arcadia today @ €14.00 a Kilo ???????? and they were rubbish quality.

Try the Fruit Basket by the round about near LIdl.

RayAucote wrote:

Arkadia fruit and Veg is always rubbish, as is that in all the other supermarkets. They leave it on the shelf till it is rotting.

'Fruit Basket' and 'Daily Fresh' We find are best.  Daily Fresh are now also open at the Gozitano Agricultural Village, Xewkija, as well as in Victoria.

Ray

nicknamero wrote:

There are very, very few local figs these days, as a couple of years ago most fig trees got sick and production is now almost zero.

Don't know what Xaghra will do for their fig festival then!!

Ray