Moving to Ecuador

Hello every one I'm moving to Ecuador on atourist visa....is it easy to search for ajob on atourist visa,and is it acceptable?if yes how does one go about it..thanks

You will probably be deported for violating the terms of your tourist visa because work on a tourist visa is prohibited. If you do manage to get a job,  you will be paid very little because the employer will know you don't have the required visa. Don't be surprised if you don't find work, or if you do you're not paid, or even the reality that your own co-workers or boss will call the police on you after working a couple of months.

Read the news, Ecuador is cracking down on people who violate their tourist visa.

vsimple wrote:

You will probably be deported for violating the terms of your tourist visa because work on a tourist visa is prohibited. If you do manage to get a job,  you will be paid very little because the employer will know you don't have the required visa. Don't be surprised if you don't find work, or if you do you're not paid, or even the reality that your own co-workers or boss will call the police on you after working a couple of months.

Read the news, Ecuador is cracking down on people who violate their tourist visa.

Not sure if I used the reply function properly, but my question is, if my current permanent visa is based on investment, can I not find work here?  I have known quite a few expats (on the same visas), before the law change of course, who were employed teaching English here by certain schools.  This was quite a few years ago so maybe this has changed?  I know the pay wasn't much and wasn't always received based on contract terms.  Just curious if that changed or if they were working illegally as you stated.  Just something I never heard of or had really thought about.  Not that I want to teach English, but if I learned the language on a professional basis, and since I have a Masters degree, I was told my a few people (& a local attorney) that I could work for the Ecuadorian govt.  of course I have no connections to even start the process, but the lawyer told me I would probably make $36,000 a year.  Bear in mind this was 4 years ago, and again not sure I would ever be interested since many even govt employees have not been paid in over a year.  Just curious really.  Thanks for any knowledgeable input.

Sophems wrote:
vsimple wrote:

Not sure if I used the reply function properly, but my question is, if my current permanent visa is based on investment, can I not find work here?  I have known quite a few expats (on the same visas), before the law change of course, who were employed teaching English here by certain schools.  This was quite a few years ago so maybe this has changed?  I know the pay wasn't much and wasn't always received based on contract terms.  Just curious if that changed or if they were working illegally as you stated.  Just something I never heard of or had really thought about.  Not that I want to teach English, but if I learned the language on a professional basis, and since I have a Masters degree, I was told my a few people (& a local attorney) that I could work for the Ecuadorian govt.  of course I have no connections to even start the process, but the lawyer told me I would probably make $36,000 a year.  Bear in mind this was 4 years ago, and again not sure I would ever be interested since many even govt employees have not been paid in over a year.  Just curious really.  Thanks for any knowledgeable input.

My understanding is that with an Investor Visa you are allowed to open a business or work for someone doing just about anything provided it's legal. I haven't heard of anything changing with the new law.

Athieno33 wrote:

is it easy to search for a job on a tourist visa, and is it acceptable? if yes how does one go about it?

Welcome to the Ecuador forum, Athieno.

It's legal to apply for work in Ecuador on a tourist visa .. and nobody's getting deported for making an application.

If you get offered a position, however, you will need to have a contract from your prospective employer approved by the Cancillería before you legally can begin the actual job.

Have the employer assist you with the application for a work visa.

cccmedia

Athieno33 wrote:

is it easy to search for a job on a tourist visa?

As for the ease of searching, meaning obtaining, a job while on a tourist visa in Ecuador .. the legality is only part of the equation.

The fact is that if you're coming to Ecuador from Taiwan, Uganda or UAE without Spanish-language fluency, multiple factors are working against you.  Besides the language issue, preference is almost always given to local Ecuadorians who may be qualified for the position.  An exception might apply to foreigner-applicants with certain special skills, such as doctors, nurses or English teachers with North American English-language backgrounds.

Presuming that your fluency in a second language is in English, you might want to skip Spanish-speaking South America and google countries and territories where English is spoken.

There are scores of countries and territories where English is an official language.  Perhaps one or more of them would be right for you .. and more hospitable to a job search.

cccmedia