Senior and Veteran Advantages

Are you aware of any tax, meal, transport, housing, or other savings / breaks or services provided in PR to seniors and Veterans?

Senior citizens have a separate line in many places.
F.i. the DTOP in Humacao. Normal lines waiting time, 4, 5 hours. Senior line "only" 2 hours or so.. :joking:

I'm not aware of other advantages although I would qualify..

Gary, I use the one located in Mayaguez, never had to wait more than 45 minutes. But I have heard from my family that the one in Ponce is the same, long waiting times. They even got mentioned in the news a while back, someone took a video of the employees on the cells while people were waiting in line.

I don't have to go to the DTOP a lot, once a year or less. Maybe I was in bad luck the last couple of times, literally hundreds of people in the waiting area.

I have heard of Vets getting discount at gyms but can not verify, also discount for seniors on Ferry to Culebra and Vieques (1/2 price).

ReyP wrote:

I have heard of Vets getting discount at gyms but can not verify, also discount for seniors on Ferry to Culebra and Vieques (1/2 price).

Don't know about gym discounts​ for Vets but I think you're right with the ferry fair. Also museums and other municipal/ state/ fed owned places give rebates to us oldies. :D

Not old, just wise

ReyP wrote:

Not old, just wise

Sure!   :cool:

Retired military veterans can shop at the commissaries on Fort B and the Coast Guard exchanges in OSJ and Aguadilla.  No tax, gas is usually cheaper (and pay at the pump) they can do special orders, and I've heard that the only place to get Diet Dr. Pepper on the island is the Fort B commissary!

Yes, many things (like steaks!) are cheaper and better quality. Commisary has Blue Bunny premium ice cream for $2.50 for the new, smaller 1.5L size (no more half gallons). Canned goods are much less, but not all is cheaper, and it's worth it to me, to drive there once a month (they're not open on Mondays (restocking). Gas is usually about 4 cents per liter less; on Buchanan they sell by the gallon, Boriquen (coast guard) sells by the liter. You can shop online; there's the "shopmyexchange" if you have the retired ID card, you can enroll with your SSN, you're "in the system".

You need an ID to get on base, in Buchanan they won't allow "guests" in the Commisary; you'll need the ID to get into any of the stores; Class VI Exchange; (Liquor, Furniture, Outdoor Equipment & Furniture), Exchange, (Sort of like a Super Walmart: Kids toys, clothes, small food and tool section, Lots and lots of huge LED TVs, etc).  As far as "special orders"; I wanted a large item, (pro-form HIIT Pro) exercise machine, they special ordered it, and it's been two months so far, but I can't wait to jump on that thing, and do some High Intensity Interval Training. It cost way less than anywhere else, and they've shipped it by slowboat from the warehouse, in US, to (still not) here.  You can also buy a car, from the; Military Auto Source. MAS only sell cars that are at least 60% made in U.S., to Active duty, retired, or VA disabled 100%, but a Veteran in one of those categories CAN "sponsor" a civilian to buy a car there. They show you the price, the factory rebates, and Military discounts, and final price. No bickering, no BS, no lies. If being sponsored, you must have your own financing, as they cannot finance you.

If there are any disabled Veterans on here, you can also get assistance with increasing your claim, with many service organizations. I know some folks at the Cabo Rojo American Legion, they've got great records for getting Veterans what they deserve, for their service to this country, (of which PR is a part). PM me, and I can put you in touch with my friend Pancho, he and his wife actually go from Cabo Rojo, to the Mayaguez VA (almost) every Thursday, to help Veterans with disability claims. There's no cost, they do this, as retired, and disabled Veterans, themselves... I'll shut up now

mac00677 wrote:

You can also buy a car, from the; Military Auto Source. MAS only sell cars that are at least 60% made in U.S., to Active duty, retired, or VA disabled 100%, but a Veteran in one of those categories CAN "sponsor" a civilian to buy a car there. They show you the price, the factory rebates, and Military discounts, and final price. No bickering, no BS, no lies. If being sponsored, you must have your own financing, as they cannot finance you.

That sounds like a good benefit, how much discount on a new car?

That depends how you tally it; here in PR most dealers will lie to you, saying PR does not get factory rebate incentives, but it's a bold faced lie! There's a 2016 White (beige interior) AWD Ford Edge SE on Buchanan, that I was going to take, and it's being offered with $6500 Ford factory rebates, and all you'd need is me, and financing from your bank. I have the invoice in my laptop. all said and done, it's priced at $31,102.41, out the door.

hmmm... I think we should talk when I return.  I'll send a pm.