Health insurance

Me being a member of the EU and the FV HOSPITAL a joint Franco Viet venture, would my EU citizenship qualify me for treatment basically state funded at the hospital? I have a chronic pain condition which must be monitored about every 3 months and I have taken prescribed narcotic pain meds for years. I would like to relocate to Hanoi but I first must know if my medical requirements can be safely met.

So there is no insurance company that provides an insurance card thing in Vietnam so when you get checked in you give the card and they deal with an insurance company? I mean if some serious issues and if I need pay e.g 20-30k us or more and then try to get the insurance company to pay that back to me that won't be easy and if I do not have enough to pay the bill then what? I looking for a company that has the card setup, I think here in Thailand AIA or AIG have this, hade a few years ago but forget what company so I hope I can find that in Vietnam as well. No way I trust any insurance company that I have to claim my money after and hope I get it back.

I can't work out exactly what you're saying, did you mean AIG etc are the ones to use?
🙃

Cigna are pretty good for Medical Insurance. They are more competitively priced compared to something like William Russell but still have comprehensive coverage.

Kiraflower wrote:

I can't work out exactly what you're saying, did you mean AIG etc are the ones to use?
🙃

Hi, sorry if I was not clear. I looking for a company in Vietnam that work that way. In Thailand, I hade this kind of insurance a few years ago but I forget the company, I think it was AIG or AIA so I look for something like that in Vietnam.

SJ85 wrote:

Cigna are pretty good for Medical Insurance. They are more competitively priced compared to something like William Russell but still have comprehensive coverage.

Hi and thanks for the information. I actually did check them out last nite, and they not look too bad.

Hey, I'm glad I came across this thread.  I only saw one reference to Cigna in this thread.  Most people mention local insurance only.  Are expat insurance companies from abroad not recommended?  I am thinking of going with Cigna before moving over there just because it covers insurance there and provides me with 120 days of coverage when I visit family back in the US.  I would love to hear everyone's advice on this.  Thanks.

sflxn wrote:

Hey, I'm glad I came across this thread.  I only saw one reference to Cigna in this thread.  Most people mention local insurance only.  Are expat insurance companies from abroad not recommended?  I am thinking of going with Cigna before moving over there just because it covers insurance there and provides me with 120 days of coverage when I visit family back in the US.  I would love to hear everyone's advice on this.  Thanks.

Companies like Cigna have very high premiums.

colinoscapee wrote:
sflxn wrote:

They quoted me $400, which doesn't seem that high for US standard.  It also comes with 120 days of coverage for visits to the home country.  Do you have a better solution?  I genuinely want to know.  I have yet signed any contracts yet.

sflxn wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
sflxn wrote:

They quoted me $400, which doesn't seem that high for US standard.  It also comes with 120 days of coverage for visits to the home country.  Do you have a better solution?  I genuinely want to know.  I have yet signed any contracts yet.

400 usd for how long, that is dirt cheap. I would look into it a bit more as that seems too cheap.

colinoscapee wrote:
sflxn wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

400 usd for how long, that is dirt cheap. I would look into it a bit more as that seems too cheap.

It only covers catastrophic care, evacuation, 450 towards wellness checkup, and US care for 120 days.  It does not cover outpatient.  I could have added that, but given that I'm used to $350 doctor visit in SF, whatever outpatient out of pocket costs are, it will likely be "cheap" so I'll just pay that out of pocket.

Also, I got a quote from Aetna today, it's an even better deal.  I actually get travel ins and outpatient with Aetna for less than Cigna.

One thing that neither cover are pre-existing.  I have pre-diabetes but never had any symptoms so all I need is an annual checkup and my metformin.  I think I can handle that out of pocket.

sflxn wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
sflxn wrote:

It only covers catastrophic care, evacuation, 450 towards wellness checkup, and US care for 120 days.  It does not cover outpatient.  I could have added that, but given that I'm used to $350 doctor visit in SF, whatever outpatient out of pocket costs are, it will likely be "cheap" so I'll just pay that out of pocket.

Also, I got a quote from Aetna today, it's an even better deal.  I actually get travel ins and outpatient with Aetna for less than Cigna.

One thing that neither cover are pre-existing.  I have pre-diabetes but never had any symptoms so all I need is an annual checkup and my metformin.  I think I can handle that out of pocket.

So its not hospital cover, thats why is a fair price.