Husband, wife and 5 yr old moving to San Miguel de Allende

Hello my name is Angela and my husband and I have decided to get out of the states for a year or so, plus we LOVE Mexico. We are looking at staying in San Miguel de Allende for 2 or 3 months and then heading down to Tulum. Does anyone know if it is possible to rent a furnished 1 or 2 bedrooms in San Miguel for $300-400? We know we can't probably stay in the center for that price which is fine. We want to live with the locals. Also any montessori or alternative schools. Would love to volunteer my time so my daughter can attend a few days a week. If anyone can shed any light. If not we will see you all soon in SMA.

Just an additional point, before you leave, you must have the proper VISA.

Check with the mexican consulate and aduanas.

Tourist visa = 180 days low cost but need to leave Mexico, can bring your vehicule TIP valid for 6 months only. Not allowed to work
Temporary resident visa = more than 180 days up to 4 years need to prove income, not allowed to work can bring a foreign plated car cost 3 300 pesos per year/person 
Permanent resident visa = forever, no foreign plated car allowed, not allowed to work.  Cost 8500 pesos per person once.

Buena suerte en su proyecto, GyC.

Dear Viva la Vida,

I have been a SMA resident over the past 7 years.

Rents as well as cost of living in general in all San Miguel communities are on the rise. Rentals in the $300 to $400 range can still be found in outlining communities if you connect with landlords who rent in pesos. If you speak Spanish, this is possible by connecting with local Mexican property managers and by driving / walking around your target neighborhoods and looking for "casa / depto. en renta" notices.

I have clients and friends who have their children at the International School and the Colegio Atabal.  I have not heard of any parent volunteer programs that exchange volunteer hours for student tuition.

Best of luck!
Melanie

Thanks for the reply about the visas. We will be travelling in and out Mexico during our stay, we have down this before and haven't needed a visa. Thanks for the information though.

Hi Melanie,

Thank you for your reply. When you say the outlining communities, how far would that be from the zocalo in SMA?  We want to be walking distance to at least food stores etc. We won't have a car. Do you know of any agencies that we could maybe talk to before we go down, or do you think in would be better just to wait? Again thank you for the information, we appreciate it. San Miguel is such a gem.

vivalavida17 wrote:

Thanks for the reply about the visas. We will be travelling in and out Mexico during our stay, we have down this before and haven't needed a visa. Thanks for the information though.

Hi, you could check on the following site but in spanish https://casas.trovit.com.mx/renta-san-miguel-allende they are 230 offers for SMA.

Buena suerte en su proyecto, GyC.

GyC, thank you so much! Honestly we really appreciate any and all the information. Also in my previous post I meant to say "we have done" this before not "down". Muchas gracias

Hi Viva La Vida,

The main square in San Miguel is called "El Jardin". The closer you are to "El Jardin" or "Centro", the more expensive the rents.

I would suggest that you come to San Miguel to visit for at least two weeks and take the time to explore the different neighborhoods.  This way, you can meet local expats and Mexicans, and inquire about their opinions and experiences first-hand. Ask about where they live and the pros and cons of living in particular "colonias" or neighborhoods.

Have a check list of the things you are looking for in a home rental & neighborhood.

Rentals posted online tend to be more expensive.

Finding a rental in your price range will take dedication and ground work.

There are two major super market chains in town: Comercial Mexicana - located on Salida de Celaya in front of Pollo Feliz; and Soriana - located in the La Luciernaga Mall outside of San Miguel and on the road toward Querétaro. There are also small corner stores & specialty markets located throughout San Miguel in most neighborhoods.

Taxis are an affordable way to get around.  Within Centro (in- town), they cost $40 pesos each way. Out of town they can cost $45 - $70 pesos depending on the distance. City buses cost between $6 and $8 pesos.   

Hope you are able to come to San Miguel soon to start your adventure!!

Best,
Melanie