Things to Prepare Before a Move to Mexico - final countdown

Well, I am finally in the final year countdown (337 days to be exact) to retirement and the move to Mexico. I am trying to get everything I need to do in order before then, and I figured I'd ask for suggestions etc, in case I am forgetting anything.  As of now, what I have on the list is:

- Contact Social Security and State Pension folks
- Figure out what to use for a  US address for use after I got to Mexico (for banking purposes) - perhaps a mail service.
- Trip the consulate at after the six month point to get the Residente Temporal visa.
- Figure out what to do about my driver's license since I won't be in state anymore.
- Get the vet paperwork (shots/records etc) for cat, who will be accompanying me.
- Wrap up local business (get rid of this and that, prep that which I will send with me, etc)

If you notice anything else I might be forgetting and should be considering, feel free to chime in.

Thanks in advance.

nikolas4squid wrote:

Well, I am finally in the final year countdown (337 days to be exact) to retirement and the move to Mexico. I am trying to get everything I need to do in order before then, and I figured I'd ask for suggestions etc, in case I am forgetting anything.  As of now, what I have on the list is:

- Figure out what to use for a  US address for use after I got to Mexico (for banking purposes) - perhaps a mail service.
- Trip the consulate at after the six month point to get the Residente Temporal visa.
- Figure out what to do about my driver's license since I won't be in state anymore.
- Get the vet paperwork (shots/records etc) for cat, who will be accompanying me.
- Wrap up local business (get rid of this and that, prep that which I will send with me, etc)

If you notice anything else I might be forgetting and should be considering, feel free to chime in.

Thanks in advance.

SSI and the state pension may require a U.S.  physical address. That's not bad because you can manage them on line for the most part. Perhaps you have a friend who could let you use their address. I'm not sure a P.O. will be okay they may require a physical address.

Dealing with getting money deposited into a bank in Mx. can open you up to all sorts of tax twists and turns. Out of country makes them nervous.

That doesn't mean don't have a Mx. and U.S. bank account. In my opinion it is good to have both. Plus having a Mx. account shows you are serious about your living here.

I would keep the license, I kept mine because I was going back and forth and it served as a pretty good I.D. when I got a lic. here. Mine will expire in 3 years, with what they are doing with licenses I may just let it . I don't know.

I would advise getting rid of most of the this and that. There is nothing I left behind that I wish I hadn't and I got it all in 3 car trips while renewing my visa initially.

Good luck.

I don't think SSI or State pension care about a physical address being in the US. 

SSI is direct deposit and all my statements are on line.  Same with my CA State retirement. 

Depending on how close you are to the border there are any number of forwarding services that pickup at a US address and bring it across for you.  I know there are several in San Diego. 

I am curious also about deliveries from Amazon as I order a lot of stuff from them.

I know CA DMV also doesn't care if you have an address in the State.  I have seen several DL's with out of state address.  Not sure how that would work with out of country, but I doubt CA would care. 

Obviously, your state of residence might be different.

jamesr3939 wrote:

I don't think SSI or State pension care about a physical address being in the US. 

SSI is direct deposit and all my statements are on line.  Same with my CA State retirement. 

Depending on how close you are to the border there are any number of forwarding services that pickup at a US address and bring it across for you.  I know there are several in San Diego. 

I am curious also about deliveries from Amazon as I order a lot of stuff from them.

I know CA DMV also doesn't care if you have an address in the State.  I have seen several DL's with out of state address.  Not sure how that would work with out of country, but I doubt CA would care. 

Obviously, your state of residence might be different.

3 years ago, my pension (state) cared very much about having a U.S. address,, and given the potential of maybe not staying at that same address , it was fine with me. My bank preferred a U.S. base also because it is a small credit union. So one size does not fit all.

No problem with Amazon. if they have it they will deliver fine. Just give Amazon the address and if they can't ship to Mx. they will say so. Even other companies have improved delivery lately. I ordered something on the 19th from a U.S. company. They shipped on the 22nd and it arrived by mail today. Lightning fast for Mx.

When I talk to my son I will ask about California and licenses. He is a cop there. I would imagine it depends on the car plate.

Interesting your state pension cared.  What are they going to do stop sending your check?  Now maybe they want to deposit into a US bank, but I can't see them doing anything about you having an address outside the country.

Good to know about Amazon. 

I am a retired cop from California so I am pretty up on DL's and reg's for CA vehicles.  I am sure your son has run across people with CA DL's and CA lic plates that don't have addresses in CA.  All CA wants is their money so they don't care where you have your paperwork sent. 

Now what they do care about is claiming you live in another location and don't pay CA income tax.  I have several friends who retired to OR and collect State CA pension.  They don't pay CA income tax even though their pension is from CA. 

Now if there was only a way to not pay the IRS!!!

Personally, we aren't moving full time so will keep our condo in CA, which I think will preclude me from not paying CA income tax.

jamesr3939 wrote:

Interesting your state pension cared.  What are they going to do stop sending your check?  Now maybe they want to deposit into a US bank, but I can't see them doing anything about you having an address outside the country.

Good to know about Amazon. 

I am a retired cop from California so I am pretty up on DL's and reg's for CA vehicles.  I am sure your son has run across people with CA DL's and CA lic plates that don't have addresses in CA.  All CA wants is their money so they don't care where you have your paperwork sent. 

Now what they do care about is claiming you live in another location and don't pay CA income tax.  I have several friends who retired to OR and collect State CA pension.  They don't pay CA income tax even though their pension is from CA. 

Now if there was only a way to not pay the IRS!!!

Personally, we aren't moving full time so will keep our condo in CA, which I think will preclude me from not paying CA income tax.

Actually I decided to go beyond your question, and asked my son what is the rule for foreign cars, plates and licenses. He said if the person has a passport and visa, in some cases, they have 30 days before California wants to know where they are from, and live. After 30 days it becomes an issue . What you quoted is actually what has been Calif. policy for a long time.I used to live there.
So that should cover all driving and license issues expats might encounter in Calif.

As for pensions and things practically any financial exchange between Mx. and the U.S involves lot's of paperwork. No one in the U.S. said I was required to live in the U.S. They were concerned that funds went to a bank they felt secure about, and had a address in the U.S. for paperwork or contact. When you actually live long term in Mx., that is easier to understand .

Originally I did not have a bank here. so providing them with a U.S. bank, and address kept everyone happy. I haven't tried to change that. I might change the address eventually, but The bank here and there are the best I have ever worked with so that won't change. The U.S. bank is most unlikely to want to go international.

For not paying IRS, I believe you have to have a lot more money and a corporation or 2.

Good to know.  I was concerned about banking once we stay long term in MX and if there was any advantage to having a MX bank account.  The few visits we have done don't seem to show that, except WF is charging me a foreign transaction fee for debit card purchases. 

CA DMV only cares about notification if you move into CA.  I was talking about having veh and DL issued in CA with an address somewhere else, i.e.: another state or country.  I have contacted more than a few people who have CA DL's and vehicle reg in other states, mostly OR, WA, and NV.  But even once stopped a guy with a Washington DC address on his CA DL. 

No sure how other states view it, but at least for CA I am guessing you could have a CA DL with a MX address. 

CA DMV is a collection agency all they want is their money they don't care about who you are, where you live, or your nationality.  CA issues DL's to persons not even in the country legally. 

But then again other states might be a little (or a lot) more conservative.

BTW: I did check and to not pay the IRS you have to renounce you citizenship among other things.

Dear Nikolas,

Other things I would add....

1. Research private health insurance options in Mexico before you depart.
Mexican public health programs (IMSS and Seguro Popular) can be deficient and not all medical conditions are covered.

2. Call your nearest Mexican Consulate Office in the US and inquire about the Mexican Visa process in the US. It is much more expedient than it is in Mexico.

3. Importing a US vehicle into Mexico? Research the Mexican importation rules and regulations before you depart.

Hope this helps!!

Melanie in Mexico

Hi to all, I am not an expert and a Canadian non-resident, on this side of the border, being a non-resident means that you file your income tax return as a non-resident.
Also, you have to return your DL, your MEDICARE plans because you don't comply with the minimum stay requirements BUT we then don't pay any provincial taxes (equivalent to State taxes).
As far as the adress is concerned all services require our mexican adress, physical and mailing  (DV, MEDICARE, REVENUE CANADA, PENSION PROVIDED, BANKS, etc). Also, being a non-resident means that you can't invest in canadian stock exchange if I recall proprely NO problem for I quit that when I retired "no more stress" .

So, I did some research on your side of the border and the IRS seems to have equivalent requirements, here are some recent articles by IRS. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/interna … ted-stateshttps://www.irs.gov/individuals/interna … -taxpayers
BUT that doesn't mean I got the right awnser.

Personnaly, I would call IRS, DMV, etc...just like I did on this side of the border and get the accurate awnsers.

Buena suerte en su proyecto, GyC.

Social Security accepts a Mexican address and when you inform them of your new address your monthly benefit will be issued on the 3rd of every month. Plus, in July you will receive a letter and form from them that must be filled out and mailed back else the might suspend your payments.

My bank, Bank of America, doesn't send me anything by mail. All correspondence is via internet.

When my Texas drivers license expired, I got a Veracruz license. It is valid in the US for renting cars and driving your own.

Your plans are helpful to me.. I am planning my move at the end of May... Lots to do and finished.. I just   sold everything in my house to the kids next door. Cheap and quick..

timvv wrote:

Your plans are helpful to me.. I am planning my move at the end of May... Lots to do and finished.. I just   sold everything in my house to the kids next door. Cheap and quick..

Hi "timvv", was wondering if you are moving to Mexico since your profile says Thailand.

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC.

travellight wrote:
nikolas4squid wrote:

Thanks in advance.

SSI and the state pension may require a U.S.  physical address. That's not bad because you can manage them on line for the most part. Perhaps you have a friend who could let you use their address. I'm not sure a P.O. will be okay they may require a physical address.

Dealing with getting money deposited into a bank in Mx. can open you up to all sorts of tax twists and turns. Out of country makes them nervous.

That doesn't mean don't have a Mx. and U.S. bank account. In my opinion it is good to have both. Plus having a Mx. account shows you are serious about your living here.

I would keep the license, I kept mine because I was going back and forth and it served as a pretty good I.D. when I got a lic. here. Mine will expire in 3 years, with what they are doing with licenses I may just let it . I don't know.

I would advise getting rid of most of the this and that. There is nothing I left behind that I wish I hadn't and I got it all in 3 car trips while renewing my visa initially.

Good luck.

You can get  a PO box that resembles a residency address. This will work fine. My SS is direct deposit and anything they send me goes there. You just need to figure out how to coolect your mail. Try to go paperless whenever possible.

travellight wrote:
nikolas4squid wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Good luck.

Yup, I have only one thing left for my move. Get the kids over to take what they want. I leave next month.

My Social Security and State CA pension is all paperless and direct deposit.  I can change my direct deposit bank all on line.  At least for us there are a couple of mail forwarding services in San Diego that use a SD address and then bring your mail over as often as you want them to.  I might use that for a once a week delivery to Rosarito.  Mainly for 90 day RX mail order refills.   

At least in CA you don't have to have a CA address to get a CA drivers' license.  I have seen plenty of CA DL's with out of state addresses.  Can't say I have ever seen one with an out of country address. 

We might use our kids address in Texas since that might help us to avoid paying CA state income taxes. 

Otherwise it might be easier to just use a private mail box at the UPS store.  Hopefully, Amazon will deliver there or I could use one of their drop box locations in SD and go over an pick it up myself.

bothner06 wrote:

Yup, I have only one thing left for my move. Get the kids over to take what they want. I leave next month.

Reminds me of a funny story about my mom.  When she was 80 she moved from northern CA to southern CA to remarry another widower.  She tried to give every knick knack she didn't want to my brother and I, which we didn't want either.  There were a couple of pieces of furniture that we did want so we went over one day to pick them up. 

As we lifted them into the truck we both felt extremely weak and struggling.  It was then we opened the drawers to see mom had filled them with all the knick knacks.