New Forum Posts

Whilst I see updates to threads I am participating in (shown at the bell symbol) - I don't see when there are "new" threads posted in my home community. I would at least have expected something - perhaps appearing alongside the word "Forum". Perhaps "new" threads are included in the number shown at the bell symbol? If so, my preference would be for it to be clear that there are "new" questions being posed.

You need to click on Subscribe, then you will be notified,

I don't think you understood my question. I am querying why when "new" threads are started it is not clear immediately when opening the app. not after scrolling down and "discovering" them? There is so much advertising and also pinned threads, it becomes necessary to check the body of the Forum rather than there being an indication - like there seems to be beside the bell (but they number only seems to relate to responses to already established threads.

I do understand you need to click Subscribe on the country that you wish to be notified on the posts that come in.

And where is that done?  I am already subscribed to a particular country.

OK - I went into the Forum area and found the subscribe button. I will see what happens next.

So where does the indication take place that there are "new" threads in the Forum of my country?

This is how I got notified when you first posted because I am subscribed to the whole page. (If that makes sense) What Forum page are you wishing to subscribe to and I will do a test Thread.

Don't worry for now - as it will clutter up the Forum - new threads can't be deleted only updated within 60 minutes I recall?

So how did you know I had posted a new thread?  What symbol or notification did you receive?

I had an Email and a notification on the Bell symbol because I am subscribed to this page. In fact, I am also subscribed not just to Austria where I am an Expert, but also to Europe.

It has to be said there are times that its a bit slow, and you need to refresh the site for you to get notifications on the Bell symbol.

Thanks. I don't get email notifications (probably a setting somewhere and I don't really want any to be honest). But I do find it odd that the only notification is a mix of "new" and old thread input - just shown by a random number at the bell symbol.

I guess it can be depending on how much traffic on the site is happening at the time. Sometimes I don't get a notification a couple hours later. Maybe it could be brought up with the Development Team?

I think I know what you mean.
I sometimes experience the same.

SimCityAT is right by subscribing to the forums of your interest.
But while you're online or active on the site, some post are posted which you don't get a notification from even when you have a subscription on that particular forum.

I asked about this a few years ago if there's something to do about. The answer back then was, while you're on that moment active the system thinks you could see/read new replies. Although I was not satisfied with the answer because it's just not right.
This way I missed some important posts which I followed and needed to be answered.

It is not the solution but for now you can look at the main page where you can see the latest posts.
Another tool is your time line to see anything new replies. You see also new members who just joined from your country forum.

I just had another of what I consider a "weird" notification system. There was a number 1 by the bell and I clicked on it thinking it was a response to a thread I was following.

But NO - it was a request to CONNECT !!

So it seems the bell notifications  are anything and everything !!

Personally I think the software should be better than this - it's a corner-cutting solution and not very SMART.

Maybe you should contact the team.
Apparently there is something wrong with your notification system.

Also another point in the design is when I go to the number beside the bell, it takes me to the notification page.  Now there is no system to show which notifications I have already "seen" - just a long list.

To my way of thinking it would be SMART to be able to determine what has been viewed - contributions on this thread are a case in point - if I were not following it "live" I wouldn't know how far back in the list to go to start reading the contribution

Thanks Primadonna - I have "reported" the thread and suggested the management take a look at the discussion.

Hi everyone,

@ Gravitas, we will go through this thread thoroughly and discuss this matter.

Indeed as some experts have already mentioned, subscribing to your forum would be an option. There is the timeline though if i am not wrong, you get to see the latest activities of your forum as a whole.

If you go directly to ww.expat.com, you should be seeing the timeline of your destination and you may select what you want to see through the filter options.

But, we will discuss about that and get back to you.

All the very best,
Bhavna

The filtering should give us the option of choosing whether to see forums from the country/city we are in or forums from other areas as well. Many times I open a topic and then find out it's from another country/city.

Meet other expats and join the events

OR