New members of the Thailand forum, introduce yourselves here – June to December 2017

Enjoy your stay and travel in SE Asia. Lots to explore in Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia and Singapore. Each country has its beauty and uniqueness.

Do try to visit China as a month trip can't even cover 50% of China beauty.

Have fun

Hi there,

I am Dex. South African, been living outside South Africa for the last 14 + years. Been living and working in the UK and moved to the UAE 11 years ago. I returned to South Africa in March 2017, while my wife and kids are still in the UAE,, teaching and studying. Unfortunately, SA is at this stage not an option to bring my kids here and neither does my wife want to come back here. Too much happening here at the moment in terms of safety. My wife and kids love Thailand as we have holidayed there and we are looking to move there. I have more than 20 years experience in the energy industry. I also gained excellent experience in Airline Catering while working in England. Any job in Oil and Gas, Distribution, Bulk Loading, despatch or writing of procedures and commissioning will be ideal. However, I am also prepared to take up any job in Food and Beverage.

Hi Dexb001

It's easy said than done in getting jobs in Thailand. There are south Africans here trying to get jobs but couldn't get any, as some had gone to churches for opportunities.

Assuming you may get a job, salary will be very low and employer may not apply work permit for you.

Thai law is, for each foreigner employed, you must hire 4 Thais. Foreigner minimum salary is 40,000 baht and personal income tax will be deducted every month.

Most Foreigners employee is here are recruited from their home country. Thus they get good benefits etc and usually in senior management.

Some foreigners are self employed by having their own business. As Thailand is still backwards in many aspects compared to other Asian countries, business opportunities are there. Besides cost to own a company is lower than many countries.

There's some retired foreigners here living on their pension and watching the exchange rate so as to see if they can get the extra dollar.

In the oil and gas industry, the rigs etc are down south. Office are here and expats work in there are sent over by home country.

Sorry to give you negative answers but that's the true facts.

Hi All,

If this is where I introduce myself, great, as I had never heard of this website before and I have been living in Chiang Mai for 15 years as of this October.   
I chose Chiang Mai after living in Phuket for 5 months in 1997 and then going back to the USA knowing I would return to Thailand and when I did, I chose to live in Chiang Mai because it "felt good" when I visited in 1997.
I moved here in 2002.   
I love Thailand and Chiang Mai and I live out West near the famous meditation center, Wat Ram Poeng, and enjoy having the national forest nearby.
I enjoy health, wellness, consciousness, and mischief and not necessarily in that order!  (:D

John Michael

Welcome John Michael!
It looks like your location puts you between the airport and Doi Suthep Pui. Are you bothered by aircraft noise?

Hello, I'm Akash Malik from India. I recently came back from my 2 weeks solo trip to Thailand and it seems like I have fallen in love with the country of smiles. Being a founder of multiple companies in my home country, I would love to use my knowledge and experience in either Chiang Mai or Phuket (I am confused between the two). I am desperately looking forward to get a job in Thailand and to see where it takes me in the future.

Not really much noise around where I am between Wats Ram Poeng and Pong Noi!

Hi I'm selling car on behalf for my friend Honda jazz 2006 and well maintain 240,000km just 185,000bhat full document is ready line id...

M.a.r.b.o.l.r.o

Hi Rejoice,

Thanks for your response, it's much appreciated. Getting all the tips I can get.

Cross my fingers and hope I can secure my job soon. Given your assessment  on the current job market and the complexity in getting hired, I'm still optimistic. Will keep looking and see what the employers are looking for.

Having thought much about teaching but willing to give it a go if need be.   

Again, thank you for your kind response.

Regards, Lionel

Hi All

My name is Nick and I am a retired UK Actor.

I have been visiting Thailand for the last 7 years and decided that on retirement I would move here permanently. There are too many foreigners in the UK and until 2019 we "Brits" will continue to be treated as second class citizens. So in 2016 I made the plunge.

I have set up a business in Pattaya with a Thai girlfriend and been through all the "sick buffalo" episodes.

In 2014, planning my retirement here, I undertook a teaching course in English to foreign children. I did this online over 120 hours and then spent 2 weekends in local UK schools getting practice. Hard work but rewarding.

In August this year I took a post in Bangkok teaching English in a top state school on an enhanced Elite Programme. It is good fun, well paid and rewarding. The Thai children are very keen to learn and are proud they have a "native farang" teaching them. I also get 3 months holiday a year.

There are none of the stupid rules and regulations so heavily imposed in the UK in Thailand. There are 15 speed cameras with a fine of 500 bhat (£10) no points etc. Petrol is £1 per gallon and a reasonable meal is £2. You can rent a house with a swimming pool for around £200 per month.

Would I recommend it? sure - good weather, good food, lovely people and for those that insist on following the traditional British Expat pastime ? cheap beer.

Thanks and good luck

Nick

Tell me where you buy your petrol, I will go there for mine. I pay Thai average price of 25bht a litre that's 51p uk money 4×51p=£2.please correct me if I am wrong.

Stuart

OK well it does fluctuate a bit With the £ low at the moment  but I pay on average 20 bhat a litre (Cheaper in the City as more competition) - so yes its just under £2 a gallon now - but when I was in the UK last week I was paying £1.28 a litre so £6.50 a gallon over 3 times as much - whichever way you look at it the costs of living here are much less than the UK and if you can earn a UK equivalent salary its good. Just avoid the pitfalls.

Thai single  mid.man 40 sth locates back to Bkk after hving been living&working in HKG and GUANGZHOU,CHINA for almost 16 yrs.  Thailand always draws me for fantastic foods & friends. 
Still seeking for next move as new start up ,anyone wanna share:))   
Sole hobby :   meditation & volunteer work
Others         :   sports&&food&fashions 

JUB JUB (ask Thais for the meaning)

Actually I want move to other country for new Job.

Hi there, everyone!
        My name is Pam, and I'm currently living in Palm Desert, California.  I'll be visiting Thailand in November to see if it'd be a good fit.  If yes, its back to Thailand to stay in  January 2018.
     I lived in Bangkok 2004-2008 (my Ex was EU Ambassador to Thailand then) and I liked Thailand so much, I wrote a book about it (Klongs - Thai Waterways and Reflections of Her  People) in 2008.
Before that, I was fortunate enough to have lived in some interesting countries (Canada, USA, South Africa, England, Belgium, France, Austria).
      I am a painter (taught at university level & also Ringling School of Art & Design). I also held painting workshops in southern France.
       I am a produced playwright. The 10 Minute Play is taking hold in the States and it's great - because if you don't like a play, just wait a couple minutes - and there'll be another one shortly!
       I'm thinking of offering drawing/ painting classes in Chiang Mai. My students have great fun in class, but also progress quickly. And the subject matter in Thailand....!  Great stuff.

Hi to all,

I am Ties from the Netherlands and live already 13 years here in Thailand.
Why I am on this side!!
Because I am retired and mis friends and compagny.
Live between Sattahip and Pattaya,and the place call: Bang Sare.
Maybe I find a travel mate/buddy or somebody for a nice talking.
Everybody,,,have a nice day!
And I hope that somebody are lonely to, and like to make kontact.

Hello
I am Mary. In Thailand since 15 Yeats.
We have many cats and doggies.
With my husband we rescue and help a big shelter as well.
Our maid from Manilla just left us after 12 years with us. She needed to go back to her country as already quite old now.
Would you know a trustable live in maid who loves pets?
Thanks a lot for helping.

Hi
  Interesting post! 
  Glad you found your niche! I will be in Thailand in November and am looking forward to that trip. It'll decide if I return a couple months later to retire.
  Tell me,  what's a "sick buffalo" episode?
  I see people introduce themselves on this forum, but dont see much response. Do people rather socialize in an expat club or do the majority like blending in?  I'd like to know the best place/method to learn Thai. I already have some basic knowledge but I'd like to go further.
   Thanx in advance,
    Paintergal

Hi
  I'm not in Thailand yet but will be there in November.
    What bank(s) did you find the most helpful? What missteps and in what area so we can try and avoid them pls?
     We are leaning toward retiring in Chiang Mai - and wondering if you checked out other Thai cities/towns. Did you have a flurry of vaccines beforehand or just the basic three or four?
      Any and all tips most welcome!

I never needed a vaccine and never got sick.  Chiang Mai is intolerable during the burning season, can't take a breath.

The “sick buffalo” reference is based on the rather common practice of Thai Girlfriends (prostitutes) playing on the sympathies of their customers to get additional funds, often after they have returned to their home countries and are carrying on a long distance relationship.

Online forums are not a great place to meet people for many reasons.  Clubs and hobbies are often a better way to meet people face to face.  There is no best way to learn Thai.  You have to try the various schools, books and online offerings to see what works best for you.

Paintergal wrote:

Hi
  Interesting post! 
  Glad you found your niche! I will be in Thailand in November and am looking forward to that trip. It'll decide if I return a couple months later to retire.
  Tell me,  what's a "sick buffalo" episode?
  I see people introduce themselves on this forum, but dont see much response. Do people rather socialize in an expat club or do the majority like blending in?  I'd like to know the best place/method to learn Thai. I already have some basic knowledge but I'd like to go further.
   Thanx in advance,
    Paintergal

Thank you.

One misstep in my opinion is to be too trusting and too dependent upon others.  That can leave you vulnerable. 

Bangkok Bank reportedly works well for Americans because of their US branch but you need to find a bank with a branch which is conveniently located for you.  Not all branches are created equal, so find out in advance if they can handle foreign customers and the kinds of transactions you will be making.  I can't remember the last time I had a vaccination but I am pretty sure there should be a government health advisory online somewhere which you could follow if you wish.

Chiang Mai is a good place to start, up north, as Chiang Rai where I live might be a little harder to adjust to.

Paintergal wrote:

Hi
  I'm not in Thailand yet but will be there in November.
    What bank(s) did you find the most helpful? What missteps and in what area so we can try and avoid them pls?
     We are leaning toward retiring in Chiang Mai - and wondering if you checked out other Thai cities/towns. Did you have a flurry of vaccines beforehand or just the basic three or four?
      Any and all tips most welcome!

Hi everyone!
I'm Joyce from the Pearl of the South, Philippines.
Off for a visit to Thailand next month and hopefully find some work. I'm a teacher by profession and a traveler by heart. This would be my first travel abroad, if the immigration here won't load me off (fingers crossed).
Glad to be here.

Welcome to Thailand :D
There are many interested to hang out in such as art, temple, sea, music.
i can help you if you have a problem about Thai language, i have learned English for 6 months by myself.

Hi everyone

I am Ric, originally from the UK but I have lived in Thailand for the past 22 years.  I currently flit between Bangna and Rayong. 

My father moved here first some 30 years ago, then me and after that my brother around 15 years ago.  I love the vibrancy of Bangkok as well as the relaxed atmosphere of Rayong. 

If any of you are thinking about making the plunge... come on over, give it a go, keep your eyes and options open and you wont be disappointed.

Hope you are all enjoying your time here.

Ric

Hi,
I am a new member.
So what can I say?
I was born in the USA but have lived in Belgium for 40+ years where I taught English at the University of Liège.
I am a sociable person and like to be involved in a lot of activities: theater, music, creative arts....
I first came to Ko Samui about 12 years ago where I have a villa. But I never really lived here, only vacations. Now that I am happily retired, I am wondering where I want to live - in Europe or Thailand.
So I'l like to make some friends.

Hi, all.
This is Fatima Lussily, moving t Chiang mai t help some orphans.
And offering the special Mediterranean grilled fish f friends.
Welcome t anusan night bazaar t enjoy a cup of Aminah Turkish coffee f free every day. (Aminah fish d coffee will open Dec. this year.)

There's a fair number of Farangs who do both, spend part of the year in Thailand and the other part wherever. You wouldn't be alone doing so.

There's some retired Scandinavians who signed 20 - 25 years long term lease  of house by the sea for 20 million baht upwards. They live in Thailand for 6 months when it's winter back home and moved back home during summer.

During summer back home, they will lease out their house here, to their friends for 6 months.

Hi, i am kim, last 2 weeks i experienced bangkok, i am having this desire to work in thailand , i am an electrical engineer by profession here in Philippines, but having experiences in property management and operations, are there lots of opportunities in bkk for me?

Thanks.

right now i am not in thailand but i am trying to get job in thailand maybe i get job soon and will come thailand

You don't speak Thai.  - is your English fluent?  If yes, you can look under Thailand's various visa offerings.
    It seems you haven't even looked up requirements for work visas in Thailand, and yet you say you want to find work in a place you haven't visited.
    Foreigners have difficulty finding work unless they have been offered a position at international corporations, schools, and similar.
    Thai regulations have, if anything, tightened.

i am not that much educated i am just trying for driver job in thailand

i have 10 years experiance in driving i thought if anyone need personal driver maybe he/she can contact me here

@sajad ali

As far as I am aware,driving is not a permitted job for expats in Thailand.

tjen i want to get marry in thailaand and stay there forever ,,,hehehe

Salut à tous, je m appelle Jean-Baptiste j'ai 27 ans, je viens du Sud Ouest de la France.
Actuellement je suis en Australie mais je compte venir en Asie et je me disais qu'avec mes nombreuses qualifications dans le domaine de la plomberie/chauffage/climatisation/énergies nouvelles je pourrai peut être bien trouver du travail facilement Dans un hôtel en tant qu'homme a tout faire ou un truc dans le genre ou tout simplement dans mes domaines de prédilections.

Bonne journée a tous

Hi Rod,
I'm Indonesian, have been living in bkk almost 1 year.
Same with you I don not speak Thai.
I moved to BKK to stay with my Thai's husband

Ibu, usually Indo girls in Thailand are married to Thai men. Perhaps to occupy your time, join the merlanti club for Indo women. Contact your embassy for contact details. You can go to Bali but Restaurant and get the information too as owner is Indonesian.

Closed