New members of the Spain forum, introduce yourselves here – June to December 2017

You can google "pisos comprar Alicante" and a number of sites come up.  Then use their tools to select apartments in Alcante ciudad l'alacanti the Valencian term. The "conflictive" areas such as Juan XXIII or Virgen de Remedio are just a bit more run down with poor people and immigrants living there, but by American standards are still very safe. That is the probability of being injured, or a victim of a violent criminal act is very low. In the 1990s I comparef the murder rate in Spain to that of the US and found it to be sbout 1/7 and of the murders that do occur, most are crimes by family members, motivated by financial arguments or a breakup of a couple. There are some murders by mafia or drug-related, and some by foreigners among themselves. Almost zero innocent victims.

My wife suggests colonia requena as a better area that is still cheap.

Are you from Russia?

Hi Everyone,

I hope you are doing well! I am
An American (fluent in Castellano) considering to move to Spain. I will be doing Camino de Santiago next month and will be checking out the north of Spain. I have been recommended to consider Valencia, Madrid, Barcelona, etc., any suggestions?
Glad to be here!
Have a great weekend!

Jerry
Florida, USA

Jerry4usa wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I hope you are doing well! I am
An American (fluent in Castellano) considering to move to Spain. I will be doing Camino de Santiago next month and will be checking out the north of Spain. I have been recommended to consider Valencia, Madrid, Barcelona, etc., any suggestions?
Glad to be here!
Have a great weekend!

Jerry
Florida, USA

Which route are you doing and how much of that route?
Maybe a new thread about particular questions on locations would be better. Maybe when you do you could explain why you have been recommended all of those locations,

Hi Jerry,

Barcelona is supposed to be fantastic, but I have still never been there. I have however, worked in Madrid as a nanny and the area is lovely, in particular Toledo, an hour outside Madrid. There is a lot to do in Madrid to keep you busy and quite a lot of work and cool apartments.

I am considering southern Spain, Las Alpujarras or Almeria province. I shall keep you posed , but it wont be for another couple of months anyway.

All the best with your travels, if you hear of any work in my areas let me know, and likewise. I am looking for tourism, retail, TEFL work.

Yasmin

Oh, also, I have a friend living in Valencia who might be able to recommend things if you want. Let me know where you are going. He loves Valencia, and it is easy to get over to Ibiza and Majorca from there.

Hi I'm Lita and my dream for a long time is to live in Spain or maybe part of the year .
I'm in my late 50's and not working due to long term health issues.
I'm trying to determine if it's possible to live in Spain without savings in the bank and even if it's possible to have my benefits sent to Spain.
I love Almeria.
And issues about health insurance or health treatment free of charge .
If anyone can give me any advice I would very much appreciate it.
Thank you  :D

No, USA.

Hi RibeiraSacra,

I hope this message finds you well. Regarding my trip to Santiago, I will take the French Way, starting in Toulouse, France, moving west toward Santiago. I am planning to do around 30 Km or so per day, although I won't be in a hurry...this will be a very special trip with just myself, which I intent to enjoy it.

Regarding the cities in Spain, which I previously mentioned, I was just given the advice from other expats and from watching YouTube. I am hoping, with this trip to Santiago, to get a real feeling of the north of Spain.

Have a great day!

Jerry
USA

Hi Yasmin,

Thank you for your kind reply. Since I will be doing Camino de Santiago (French Route) in the next few weeks, I am planning to take a good look at the north of Spain. Although I live in Florida (USA) currently, I don't really enjoy too much heat all the time. As time (and money) permit during this visit to Spain, I am planning to fly (or train) from Santiago de Compostela to Madrid, Granada, Sevilla, and perhaps Valencia and Barcelona. I really will like to get a good idea of these cities. Without a visa, I can do 90 days (max), so since I will be traveling very light, I think I will be able to move quickly and see a lot of the country.

Are you a Spaniard?

Have a good afternoon/evening,

Jerry

¡Hola soy Jorge! I am Greek, 27yo and i want to move in Almeria with my fiancee. I currently work as a business advisor for vodafone. Although my real profession is a software programmer and a computer technician. However i haven't finished my bachelor degree yet. And that's exactly why i will move in Almeria. I have the opportunity to study in the  UNIVERSIDAD DE ALMERÍA through erasmus. This is not only a chance for me to obtain my degree but also to use my time there to find a job and start a life there! Also my fiancee is an experienced aesthetician and she will also search for a job. I am so excited with this prospect. I love all the spaniards i have already met. They are locos with a good sense! I have so many questions though about Almeria. I want help to learn more about the cost of living there, the rents and the jobs (on both my field an my fiancee's). I also have began spanish lessons! ¡Muchos gracias mi amigos!

Hello, I'm Christine from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.  I am planning a retirement move in the near future and am considering the Canary Islands.  Any tips, suggestions on which locations to investigate?  I have animals to bring with me (cats and dogs), would prefer purchasing a home if I make this move permanent, would like to volunteer perhaps and contribute to the community.  I teach English, have a home care background, business experience, etc.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

ChristineAnne00 wrote:

Hello, I'm Christine from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.  I am planning a retirement move in the near future and am considering the Canary Islands.  Any tips, suggestions on which locations to investigate?  I have animals to bring with me (cats and dogs), would prefer purchasing a home if I make this move permanent, would like to volunteer perhaps and contribute to the community.  I teach English, have a home care background, business experience, etc.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

First off I suggest you read about obtaining a "golden visa". I have given this link as I feel it explains clearly what you need to have and do to obtain a visa to live in Spain and not because I recommend them. I do not have to I am European.

Hello!

My name is Emma i am 18 years old and i recently moved to Malaga two months ago. I originate from England.

I am more or less here to embark on a new adventure and to learn and discover a new way of life. Everything is going smoothly for me at this point in time. I have found myself a job and am currently in temporary accommodation until i can find myself something more permanent. However making friends has definitely proven to be a difficulty in this huge step and it would be lovely to be able to speak to people on here and potentially form new friendships!

dthndrsn

Hi I'm David, I'm 70 years old and single. I intend to move to Spain (i.e. Alicante) at the end of September this year. I intend to rent somewhere for a month whilst I try to get an NIE number and bank account and then rent for a longer period whilst looking for somewhere more permanent.

Hi, I am Anna and I've been living close to Alicante for three months now. Looking for places to go, people to meet etc. I work in digital Marketing in Alicante and moved to Spain from Germany with my boyfriend. Is anyone here from this area?

Hi, my name is Lottie and I live in Madrid with my Spanish husband and bilingual daughter.  After 14 years I need to be back by the coast and we intend to relocate to Alicante end September.  Looking for villa to rent (posted ad on the other forum) and considering King's college.  Are there any other good British curriculum schools to recommend? I can't reach them as is still mid summer.  Looking forward to joining the expat community of Alicante!

Hi All,

I am planning to buy a property in Almeria and wondered which possible locations might be worth considering. I have grown up children who will visit and currently live in the sticks in Cornwall. I need somewhere near I Sh to an airport. I love the mountains but the coast too. I love the outdoors and if there is any hope of a Jewish community that would be fantastic.
I usually spend the summer months in Murcia region but still can't decide where best to look. Obviously I love Cartegena City but need somewhere quieter. I also love Mar Del Crystal Asa there is plenty of flat cycling for me! I want to get much fitter!! I have also spent time in some of the little white villages such as Ubriquie? So familiar with the national park and love the mountains too. Love peace and Medieval architecture...

HI ALL, MY NAME IS BRENDA JUST MOVED TO SPAIN FROM ENGLAND WITH MY SPANISH HUSBAND. I HAVE 2 MASTERS FROM THE UNIVERSITY OF BIRMINGHAM AND SO ANYONE LOOKING FOR A TUTOR OR EDITING JOBS I AM INTERESTED.

I WOULD ALSO LOVE TO LINK UP WITH SOMEONE AROUND ALICANTE WHO CAN BRAID AFRICAN HAIR

Hi/Hola!

Westley here, born in  S.A to Spanish and Afrikaans parents, lived in London as a child/highschool.

Moved back and now reside in Johannesburg,
Looking to make contacts in Malaga or surrounding areas, will be moving there as soon as paperwork and freelance VISA is approved. Could not register as a Spaniard by Origin back when I was a child so doing the by option citizenship, have familia in Malaga - abuela stays there, abuelo passed away few years ago so will be great to help her out and find/make a new life in Spain!!

would like to hear of any expats that went the ancestral route for their citizenship, and any other persons take on live in Spain up until now.

I am really excited to go back to my family's roots and hopefully after a year of residence I love it so much that it becomes my family's permanent home!!

:)

Cheers!

Hi!
My husband and I are planning several months in Spain, probably Alicante.  Any thoughts about where in that city is a good location to rent?
Jacala

onadventure wrote:

Hi!
My husband and I are planning several months in Spain, probably Alicante.  Any thoughts about where in that city is a good location to rent?
Jacala

Welcome to the foro.
I do not think Alicante is good.
I hate cities and I prefer cooler night time temps to allow me to sleep.
Everyone is different.

The museums, postiguet beach, central market, ADDA, Theatre, MARQ musuem, Las Cigarreras, Train station, Santa Barbara castle, tram, and night life is in the downtown area, so the closer to this area the better. To some degree the response depends on your needs. There are downtown areas that are noisy during peak tourist season, and the Santa Cruz neighborhood is charming and artistic but its a bit of a walk to a grocery store. Some areas are more expensive than others. Generally, Santa Cruz, el Puerto, San Anton, the area around el Corte Ingles, el Pla, mercat, Raval Roig, San Blas, and Carolinas bajas are good areas. The Benalua neighborhood is also good, a bit more working class. I don't recommend further out from the center. Virgen de Remedio, 400 viviendas are poorer areas with more problems. There are other expats in Alicante that can comment. You don't need a car in Alicante. Parking can be a major problem, especially in tourist season. Post again with more info, approximate arrival/departure, likes/dislikes, etc.

Thanks, Claxnes for your information!

I am an historical novelist and my daughter (36) - who suffers from ME and finds the Spanish climate beneficial -  and I are hoping to buy in the Hondon Valley , Alicante,, next year, but would like to rent in the interim, perhaps on the Montanosa urb. Has anyone a small property suitable for one adult, with occasional family visitors? Any help and advice gratefully received.

Hello everyone,

I have been in Madrid for about a year but with a 4 month return back to my home in California for part of that time. I am a Californian with dual citizenship (U.S and U.K) and currently live in Madrid with my Spanish partner.

A short bit about me:

I worked in the wine industry for over 14 years. Both at/with local wineries (in the California wine industry of Sonoma-Napa regions) for many years and then also in the wholesale-distribution-import side of the industry as a sales-import brand manager.
I lived in Italy when I was younger from 2005-2006. I speak some Italian and am now also at about an Intermediate level in Spanish. I've spent quite a bit of time traveling through wine regions in France (due to my professiona) and now that I'm in Spain I do a lot of traveling to off the beaten path vineyard areas such as Rias Baixas and Ribeira Sacra and the coastal vineyard areas in Basque Country.

Due to needing to make a living in Madrid and being a foreigner I have had to create my own business. Currently I have built up a few clients and I do social media content curation and management, brand & marketing consulting, copywriting (for sales and marketing newsletters & emails or blogs or webpages needed in English) & communications work.

My expat activities in Madrid:

1) I have started a French wine tasting group for professionals-our first meeting will be later this month. The group is for those who have a high level of wine knowledge and/or who have worked in the wine industry. We will meet 1-2 times monthly. Most of us are studying for some type of certification. Myself and my partner for the group both have 10+ years of experience working in management in the wine industry.

2) I have a Spanish client who is known for their language immersion programs. I do some marketing and social media management for them and I have recently helped to create a monthly 'One Day of Spanish Immersion Event' which will be held in Madrid for Spanish language learners. I got approval to keep the event at a very low price (the purpose is getting people to come and learn and know us not to make $ on the event) so its' a great opportunity for anyone wanting more conversation practice (with native speakers) and in a more intensive/immersive environment (6 solid hours in a row-but we may take this up to 8-9 hours in future).

3) I am part of the Madrid Bloggers group and recently started attending their events though I have had a blog (not Madrid focused) for over two years and I also write for online travel publications or guest post on travel and lifestyle or tourism org sites.

Please feel free to reach out to me if you you have similar interests or are interested in any of the groups I've mentioned above :)

Cheers!

Brooke

You will love Galicia! My fiancee is from there and it is one of my favorite regions in Spain. I most particularly like drinking & buying Rias Baixas Albarino from the local vineyards, eat the amazing seafood and visiting the great coastal spots for views, ruins and hikes. A few of my favorite spots are:

Pontevedra (for a small but lovely city with everything you need in one place plus plenty of gorgeous historic bulidings), the Costa del Morte (and particularly hiking and the lighthouse at Finisterre or the beaches and horreos and trails near Carnotta ), and the Celtic ruins (called  Castro de Baroña ) up on the Rias Baixas coast near Porto do Son (Puerto del Son in Spanish).

I write a lot of blog posts about great places to visit in Galicia, Galicia culture and reasons to go etc etc if you want to see any you can start with this one:

http://www.adifferentkindoftravel.com/g … ern-spain/

Hi Everyone!

I am Mara, a filipina and a registered architect in the Philippines. Me and my Spanish fiancee are planning to get married and build our future life together in Madrid. Spain is a very beautiful country but honestly compared to other countries it has less opportunities to expat architects like me, nonetheless i am willing to take risks just to be with my future husband. Anyway i hope everything goes well to all. :)

Hi everybody,
I'm a 60- years medical doctor from Serbia. Considering to move to Canary Islands. Have been there (Tenerife and Gran Canaria) and I felt it would be a perfect place to retire for me. But, I would need a part- time job there. I am aware that it's difficult to get it, but it's worth trying, isn't it? Ideally it would be a job in tourism industry. I am fluent in English, have a good command in French and Italian and have a basic knowledge of Spanish (so far).
So, I would be very happy to hear from you- any tips.
Gracias!

Hello, my name is Burke.

I am from Chicago,IL and moved to Barcelona with my wife who is Catalan.  We have been here a few years now.  For the past few years I have been consulting as an architect with a colleague back in Chicago making frequent trips back to the states.  Now that the economy is better here, I have decided to refocus my architectural efforts here to settle in more to make this our permanent home.  It was difficult to feel engaged in the local community when my life was split between work and play.  Therefore through expat.com am looking to make a few new contacts as well as find some resources as we navigate the process or making ourselves more permanent.

hi everyone my name is david and i live in nigeria. i am a student and considering moving to spain, i need helpful advice on the best cities (affordable)for foreigners. and i would like to join a football team, i would also like a city with a good football team. thank you

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Please register your services in the business directory.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi, I am originally German and my husband American. We are trying to move to Spain but have a hard time finding out what we need to do ab insurance, job, renting apartment.any good tips anyone please??

Hi Inge
I'd be happy to help.
What area are you looking to move to?
I'm based in Andalusia area. We have as part of our company an insurance team who can offer you information and cover for all types of insurance needs.
I can help with other areas such as NIE, residency and any information about declarations you need to make when you move here.
Let me know if we can help.
Regards
Tim

Hello Tim, thank our very much! My husband is already there and a bit lost as it seems confusing. How can he get in touch with you?

Hello Julien,

thank you for the warm welcome.
I am a new user on expat.com so still trying to see how things work here :)

i am a Lebanese Graphic Designer. I got my BS in advertising here in Lebanon and started working, then due to my passion for fashion as well, in 2012, i went to London for a couple of months in order to receive a certificate in "Fashion Styling" from Central Saint Martins.

then again, in 2016, moved to Madrid, spent the year there and undertook a Masters degree in Fashion Management & Marketing.
Soon afterwards, i received a couple of job offers but since i was a non-European and had no work permit, i couldn't finish the process of hiring. Thus my disappointment, knowing that it was one of the best year ever and i absolutely adored Spain.

I came back to Lebanon and to my previous work but since then, i am still trying to apply for jobs in Spain and keeping in touch with Spanish lawyers but so far it seems a bit complicated, so i hope you guys, based on your experiences, can help me.

Apart from that issue, i am always interested in intercultural exchanges and in meeting new people.

Regards,
Jihane

Hello Tim, could you possibly explain me how insurance works in Spain, I.e. For Germans, Americans,self employed etc? Thank you, inge

Hi,

My name is Regnier. I am a French native speaker from Belgium. I have been to Spain for the last 2 years and I intend to move to Madrid when my current employment contract is over. I would like to get the TEFL certification, which will enable me to teach Non-English native speakers English or in "Colegios". Although I am currently employed I am also working for a job in the secretarial/administration field around Madrid (I am also fluent in Spanish). I'll be happy to help each and everyone of you on this forum If I can.  Kind regards, Regnier

Hi Ribera,we, meaning me german married to an American, want to settle in Spain, near Madrid for a start. We are very confused conc. Insurance and other legalities needed. Any advice?
Tx, inge

Closed