Moving to puerto rico

Internet service providers are based on your location, not all streets are cover by the same provider. When you have the place one of the neighbors or the owner will tell you which you can get.
For phone and phone data att, T-Mobile and sprint. Att seems to be the most popular. Good to use as a backup if your internet provider goes out.

good deal @Rey, thank you, I use AT&T for internet service here, 12 mb speed for 47 dollars a month  it's beyond SLOW!!  LOL

We finally got 4net around our area. If they have coverage I will strongly suggest getting it. No issues with their signal so far. Stay away from Claro, we struggle with them for a year since they were the only ones in our area. Their service will drop for no apparent reason and come back the same way. Some folks have good results with Liberty, I haven't use them so can't tell you one way or another.

Our cellular service is Sprint, we also have used as a backup without any issues. Sprint have good coverage throughout the island. My only suggestion is to get the plan in the mainland. Rates and offers are better state side.

great, I've read up a little on liberty, I'll obviously go with the best service. I want WIFI service and use my cell phone off of it. I have a cell phone through METRO PCS  40 dollars a month unlimited service

Not sure how metro will work in the island. Of the pre paid phones, the only I have used is bost mobile. They use the same towers as Sprint.

AT&T is best cell service.   I use Liberty for TV & internet - service is so so.

would like to know more about "4Net"  - I see they are in Arecibo

Sitka,

So far we have it installed on our house for a month. No issues so far, we work from home and our main concern is reliability of service. So far so good. We use it in the evenings to watch movies, they load quickly and no slowness notice. I haven't had to call for service so not sure about their service department. But the only thing in my house is their antena pointing toa receiver in Yauco, I even use my own routers.

adlin20 wrote:

We finally got 4net around our area. If they have coverage I will strongly suggest getting it. No issues with their signal so far. Stay away from Claro, we struggle with them for a year since they were the only ones in our area. Their service will drop for no apparent reason and come back the same way. Some folks have good results with Liberty, I haven't use them so can't tell you one way or another.

So that is a point to point wireless service with a directional antenna?
Maximum speed of 12 Megabits?

Yup! It's working much better than Claro did.

ReyP wrote:

So that is a point to point wireless service with a directional antenna?
Maximum speed of 12 Megabits?

Depends on the provider. You see these small local companies all over the place. They put their antenna on a tower in town and from there connect to Liberty's fiber net. They lease 100Mb ports from Liberty and put a number of clients on it. Hopefully they don't oversell too much so the clients get what they pay for, sorta.

I have service from one of these companies, I pay for 6Mb down 1Mb up but I get up to 30Mb down and 6-8Mb up most of the times. It sure helps to know the owner of the company :D
A disadvantage (for me at least) is that I can't get a dedicated IP and another is that Liberty doesn't have reversed DNS entries but I get around that with a (paid) DNS service.
All in all it's a good deal, especially with the speeds I get.

Im getting really excited about moving there and making New friends.    I called a car insurance company todaytryi g to get a quote. I dont tbink it will cost much per month. You people have been amazing, I'll keep everybody updated.  Bless al of you

knight4444 wrote:

Im getting really excited about moving there and making New friends.    I called a car insurance company todaytryi g to get a quote. I dont tbink it will cost much per month. You people have been amazing, I'll keep everybody updated.  Bless al of you

Bring with you a truckload of patience, it is island time and customs are different from the states. Always be respectful to the people and you will have a great time.

Use the word "Permiso"  or "Con su Permiso" and people will let you by. People are not being rude by blocking you, they are mostly clueless of their surroundings and are in their own little world so an "excuse me" (Permiso) works wonders.

Just remember "it's island time" not your time. Be respectful and polite it will go a long way. The island folks are very nice and accommodating. Take your time and enjoy the ride!!!

So ready to move to Puerto Rico, but is it the right move?

Keelie96 wrote:

So ready to move to Puerto Rico, but is it the right move?

Not knowing your situation, it is hard to advice. Being 20 years old, likely you are either wealthy or you need a job. Sorry to tell you that there are very few jobs in PR.

I would suggest you do not come to the island, unemployment is 3 times higher than in the states. If you do come against my advice, make sure you have an open ticket to return home in case you go broke.

Thank you so much for the advice. I would definitely be looking for a job, but the good thing is i'm a waitress so there are restaurants everywhere. Do I wait until it's high season in PR to move?

I hate to burst your bubble, but what makes you think it will be that easy to find a job in a market that is over 30% unemployed? Do you speak Spanish? Do you have savings to carry your over a few months while you look for a job?
I am not trying to demoralize your idea, but bring you a little reality check. Going to PR is not like moving to an area like Miami beach where you can walk in and find a job at any food joint. Most of those jobs in the island don't pay enough to survive.
Have a plan, save some money and have an exit plan if things don't work out.
I wish you good luck! You gonna need it!!

How can I rent my house to a tenant that has section 8 in Juncos Puerto Rico?   Do I need to post the property somewhere or call them?  Any information will be helpful. 

@martm006 you would contact the housing agency and provide proof of ownership and they will send an inspector. Is your property up to code? To pass an inspection?

There is a Facebook Group that is very helpful called Real Estate in Puerto Rico. You may be able to find the answer there.