Is Ecuador a Good Place For a Single 60-Year Old Woman?

This begs the question "IS Ecuador a safe place for a single 60 year old woman? The lady had her camera stolen.

This taxi issue has come up before here on the EC Forum. For all the big cities (not all Third World) that I've ever lived or traveled in a taxi was always the safe ride if it was too far to walk, late at nite, raining or I didn't know the bus or subway route. It's hard to wrap my head around illegal or unlicensed taxis.

Would you categorize this as street crime or a crime of opportunity? It is in the State Department warning about Ecuador for what that's worth? Would I be safer on a bus in Mumbai? Is that why CCC is going thru the hassle of getting a driver's license?

It would really be nice to see some posts from the single women who have moved down there.

After dark, in Quito for instance, you don't have much choice if you're relying on publicly-available transportation.

Most of the bus lines stop running at dusk or soon after dark.  Beyond  that point, it's basically taxis that are available.

And yes, I would like the option to drive then and not always have to depend on the imperfect art of screening taxis.

The truth is that a high percentage of taxis do not meet every legal specification -- for instance, inside/outside number-decal display -- but if you required perfection beyond the license-plate colors, some nights you might not find a ride home.

The following, however, is not a tricky judgment-call, Sue:  riding the buses in Mumbai, India, is not the solution.

cccmedia in Quito

So, IS Ecuador a safe place for a single 60 year old woman or not?????

No worries India not on the radar for retirement destinations

Are most places willing to call a taxi for you ?

suefrankdahl :

Are most places willing to call a taxi for you ?

In the past year or two, an increasing number of the quality restaurants in Quito and other cities worldwide have joined Easy Taxi, part of the computer aps trend.

More on this is available at the Expat.com Ecuador thread titled "Bus Bits and Taxi Tips," Reports 17 and 21.

For the uninitiated, the strategy is to type the thread name into the Search Expat.com box atop this page, then click on the search icon to the right of said box.

I do not have information as to whether the Easy Taxi service pickups are expanding beyond restaurants and night-spots into residential areas.

If I were seeking a cab with this service and the system permitted requests, I would ask for a taxi with legal plates:  placas legales.

cccmedia in Quito

suefrankdahl :

So, IS Ecuador a safe place for a single 60 year old woman or not?????

This is a valid discussion topic, but c'mon, Sue, do your five question marks mean you really expect a yes-or-no answer?

Cuenca -- If safety was my main issue, this is where I would probably live.  Not that EC's third largest city doesn't offer a lot more.  Rare, isolated incidents wouldn't scare me away.  Avoid the parks and 'dead zones' after dark, of course. 

Guayaquil -- Simply not safe, outside a couple of areas including Sambo.  60-year-old female Expats, do not ye enter here.

Quito -- Feels safe in the daytime these days.  Exception:  pickpockets on the Ecovía bus line and occasional snatch-and-grab crime perpetrated against the unwary.  Avoid South Quito for its historical safety record (meaning lack-of-safety record.)

Lago Agrio area -- Do you think this cesspool border town-and-vicinity, severely damaged by the oil industry, attracts and keeps the highest quality gente?

Cotacachi -- Safer in spots with neighbors around than on bucolic acreage with no one to hear an alboroto.

Santo Domingo de los Colorados -- Who cares about Ecuador's fourth largest city?  If any Expats are living there, we don't know about 'em, we never hear from 'em. ;)

Vilcabamba -- Of all the places in Ecuador, this is the one where the influx of Gringos could create negative 'vibes' and impact safety the most.  Possibly less than ideal for a 60-year-old single woman.

The Coast -- Just don't stray too far off the beaten track.  The State Department cautions against the north coast/Colombia border areas.

Quito suburbs -- Considered safer than the city, but you may need to own a car to appreciate living there.

The safest place to live in Ecuador:  My money is on Pakakuna Gardens.  Google it to experience a different side of La República. :top:

cccmedia in Quito

I can't really answer because I am only 59. lol  But myself, 2-60+ and an 80 year old, all women do great in Vilcabamba.  We are safe, and well taken care of by the Landlords brother and nephew.  We all live on the same street and no one here has ever had 1 little tiny weenie bit of trouble.  We all walk down town every day and all are kind and helpful.

Moderated by : Priscilla
Reason : aggressive and inappropriate comment

kindheart1956 :

I can't really answer because I am only 59. lol  But myself, 2-60+ and an 80 year old, all women do great in Vilcabamba.  We are safe, and well taken care of by the Landlords brother and nephew.  We all live on the same street and no one here has ever had 1 little tiny weenie bit of trouble.  We all walk down town every day and all are kind and helpful.

Moderated by : Priscilla
Reason : aggressive and inappropriate comment

Hi kindhearted 1956,    thank you for  your comments.
I've been considering either Vilcabamba or Loja for  lower altitude and warmer climate than Cuenca, though I'd love the city.  (it may be BP friendly).  Could you kindly inform me on the rental info there Pls.? someplace safe and economical would be good.   I would appreciate it very much if anyone  would email me regarding the rentals in those areas.    gracejoy8[at]yahoo.com   Thanks again.   Grace

Hi Chrisandra.  I saw you had posted this sometime ago, and wondering if you ever made the move.  I'm in the process myself of heading south, to the Imbabura Province where I'll be buying some land in the highlands.  So, not to be intrusive, but did you make this move?  If so I'm very interested to hear about your adventures if you don't mind.  I had recently retired (last year) from corporate america and readying a new life in Ecuador myself, and very curious about the whole dating scene.  I look forwars to hearing from you, and thanks in advance, Rog.

There is a search box in the green banner at the top of the page which will help you connect you to other threads. There are expats in both Loja and Vilacamba and threads that are dedicated to those cities. Happy searching :)

Hello Karen, my name is Al , I'm traveling to Peru and Ecuador, will be in Cuenca in the first week of Sept. would enjoy talking to someone who is familiar with the locals , I'm a "newbe" to world traveling, I do have a cell phone , but don't know if I will get service out of the USA, my email is " alpow1952[at]gmail.com" if possible we could get together and someone showing me how to interact with the locals would be great !...Sincerely, Al

The "locals" speak Spanish. Interactions with courtesy and respect would be a good place to start just like anywhere else in the world

Absolutely !...I understand and will always respect people no matter where I am, funny it seems courtesy to me goes along way, but the California population don't understand the word or terminology, one of the reasons it' time for me to BAIL, and move on , away from these people !

Welcome to the Ecuador forum, Big Al.

To find out about Gringo events, meetups and groups in Cuenca, visit...

www.cuencahighlife.com ... www.gringopost.com ...

and www.tribelr.com , which is the GringoTree site.

I suspect you will have some great times in Ecuador's liveliest Expat-retirement city.

cccmedia in Quito

Hi....I am 63 retired male....i would like to go Salinas for a month in February.. my name is Larry and i live  in canada.......if your female and you would be interested,..here is my e-mail address,,,,XXX.....i am divorced but just want to find someone who would enjoy the travel trip in Ecuador....and take it from their..... :)

Moderated by Julien 3 months ago
Reason : for your own safety, please use the private message system to share your contact details
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
laurenceoliver :

I am 63 retired male....i would like to go Salinas for a month in February.. my name is Larry and i live  in canada.......if your female and you would be interested..... i am divorced but just want to find someone who would enjoy the travel trip in Ecuador....and take it from there..... :)

Dear Larry,

Welcome to the forums of expat.com ....

A website that may provide exactly what you're looking for is www.misstravel.com ...

cccmedia

I am visiting Manta in April, 2019!
Is anyone available to show me around the area?
I am female, 62, single Canadian and taking Spanish lessons.
Looking to retire in 2021 in this area.

dltoomey :

I am visiting Manta in April, 2019!
Is anyone available to show me around the area?

Dear D. Toomey,
Welcome to the Ecuador forums of expat.com ...

"Find a local to show you around" ...

That is the motto of Showaround, providing online connections to meet on-the-ground-hosts in North America, the coast of Ecuador and cities around the world.

Most of the hosts currently listed at the site have rates ranging from 'free' .. up to ten dollars an hour.

resource:  www.showaround.com

Try to fly down sooner for the following year's trip .. to avoid some of the Canadian winter.

cccmedia

After you visit Manta, either on the April trip or the next one, consider a visit to Cuenca.

Cuenca is probably the best place in Ecuador for a 60-something woman who would enjoy meeting other North American Expats in Ecuador.

It's historically safe .. it is historic and beautiful .. it has an improving transit system .. and it is widely regarded as a world-class retirement city.  It has more Expat-friendly  meetups, events and workshops than any other city in La República .. and probably more of such than in any other city of its size in South America.

cccmedia

thx for all the great information!

Hi, as far as I can read you seem to recommend Cuenca instead of a town or village on the coast for over 60 single women, is that correct ?

cccmedia :

Cuenca is probably the best place in Ecuador for a 60-something woman who would enjoy meeting other North American Expats in Ecuador.

It's historically safe .. it is historic and beautiful .. it has an improving transit system .. and it is widely regarded as a world-class retirement city.  It has more Expat-friendly  meetups, events and workshops than any other city in La República...

cccmedia

Yes, Cuenca.  As a rule, compared to practically anywhere in Ecuador, Cuenca is ideal :top:  for an Expat of your age and gender wanting to meet other Expats.

cccmedia

Sibylleanne :

you seem to recommend Cuenca instead of a town or village on the coast for over 60 single women, is that correct ?

Six reasons why...

1.  Milder weather in Cuenca than most lowlands places, especially during the hotter, drier months such as January-May.

2.  More Expat-friendly events in Cuenca.

3.  Few insects and relatively few water-borne diseases in Cuenca.

4.  Cuenca is larger than any of the Pacific Coast cities, meaning more shopping, more available to do.

5.  The beauty of Cuenca's colonial architecture.

6.  Unlike the coastal Ring of Fire, no similar history of earthquake danger in Cuenca.

cccmedia