Is Ecuador a Good Place For a Single 60-Year Old Woman?

This begs the question "IS Ecuador a safe place for a single 60 year old woman? The lady had her camera stolen.

This taxi issue has come up before here on the EC Forum. For all the big cities (not all Third World) that I've ever lived or traveled in a taxi was always the safe ride if it was too far to walk, late at nite, raining or I didn't know the bus or subway route. It's hard to wrap my head around illegal or unlicensed taxis.

Would you categorize this as street crime or a crime of opportunity? It is in the State Department warning about Ecuador for what that's worth? Would I be safer on a bus in Mumbai? Is that why CCC is going thru the hassle of getting a driver's license?

It would really be nice to see some posts from the single women who have moved down there.

After dark, in Quito for instance, you don't have much choice if you're relying on publicly-available transportation.

Most of the bus lines stop running at dusk or soon after dark.  Beyond  that point, it's basically taxis that are available.

And yes, I would like the option to drive then and not always have to depend on the imperfect art of screening taxis.

The truth is that a high percentage of taxis do not meet every legal specification -- for instance, inside/outside number-decal display -- but if you required perfection beyond the license-plate colors, some nights you might not find a ride home.

The following, however, is not a tricky judgment-call, Sue:  riding the buses in Mumbai, India, is not the solution.

cccmedia in Quito

So, IS Ecuador a safe place for a single 60 year old woman or not?????

No worries India not on the radar for retirement destinations

Are most places willing to call a taxi for you ?

suefrankdahl wrote:

Are most places willing to call a taxi for you ?

In the past year or two, an increasing number of the quality restaurants in Quito and other cities worldwide have joined Easy Taxi, part of the computer aps trend.

More on this is available at the Expat.com Ecuador thread titled "Bus Bits and Taxi Tips," Reports 17 and 21.

For the uninitiated, the strategy is to type the thread name into the Search Expat.com box atop this page, then click on the search icon to the right of said box.

I do not have information as to whether the Easy Taxi service pickups are expanding beyond restaurants and night-spots into residential areas.

If I were seeking a cab with this service and the system permitted requests, I would ask for a taxi with legal plates:  placas legales.

cccmedia in Quito

suefrankdahl wrote:

So, IS Ecuador a safe place for a single 60 year old woman or not?????

This is a valid discussion topic, but c'mon, Sue, do your five question marks mean you really expect a yes-or-no answer?

Cuenca -- If safety was my main issue, this is where I would probably live.  Not that EC's third largest city doesn't offer a lot more.  Rare, isolated incidents wouldn't scare me away.  Avoid the parks and 'dead zones' after dark, of course. 

Guayaquil -- Simply not safe, outside a couple of areas including Sambo.  60-year-old female Expats, do not ye enter here.

Quito -- Feels safe in the daytime these days.  Exception:  pickpockets on the Ecovía bus line and occasional snatch-and-grab crime perpetrated against the unwary.  Avoid South Quito for its historical safety record (meaning lack-of-safety record.)

Lago Agrio area -- Do you think this cesspool border town-and-vicinity, severely damaged by the oil industry, attracts and keeps the highest quality gente?

Cotacachi -- Safer in spots with neighbors around than on bucolic acreage with no one to hear an alboroto.

Santo Domingo de los Colorados -- Who cares about Ecuador's fourth largest city?  If any Expats are living there, we don't know about 'em, we never hear from 'em. ;)

Vilcabamba -- Of all the places in Ecuador, this is the one where the influx of Gringos could create negative 'vibes' and impact safety the most.  Possibly less than ideal for a 60-year-old single woman.

The Coast -- Just don't stray too far off the beaten track.  The State Department cautions against the north coast/Colombia border areas.

Quito suburbs -- Considered safer than the city, but you may need to own a car to appreciate living there.

The safest place to live in Ecuador:  My money is on Pakakuna Gardens.  Google it to experience a different side of La República. :top:

cccmedia in Quito

I can't really answer because I am only 59. lol  But myself, 2-60+ and an 80 year old, all women do great in Vilcabamba.  We are safe, and well taken care of by the Landlords brother and nephew.  We all live on the same street and no one here has ever had 1 little tiny weenie bit of trouble.  We all walk down town every day and all are kind and helpful.

Moderated by : Priscilla
Reason : aggressive and inappropriate comment

kindheart1956 wrote:

I can't really answer because I am only 59. lol  But myself, 2-60+ and an 80 year old, all women do great in Vilcabamba.  We are safe, and well taken care of by the Landlords brother and nephew.  We all live on the same street and no one here has ever had 1 little tiny weenie bit of trouble.  We all walk down town every day and all are kind and helpful.

Moderated by : Priscilla
Reason : aggressive and inappropriate comment

Hi kindhearted 1956,    thank you for  your comments.
I've been considering either Vilcabamba or Loja for  lower altitude and warmer climate than Cuenca, though I'd love the city.  (it may be BP friendly).  Could you kindly inform me on the rental info there Pls.? someplace safe and economical would be good.   I would appreciate it very much if anyone  would email me regarding the rentals in those areas.    [email protected]   Thanks again.   Grace

Hi Chrisandra.  I saw you had posted this sometime ago, and wondering if you ever made the move.  I'm in the process myself of heading south, to the Imbabura Province where I'll be buying some land in the highlands.  So, not to be intrusive, but did you make this move?  If so I'm very interested to hear about your adventures if you don't mind.  I had recently retired (last year) from corporate america and readying a new life in Ecuador myself, and very curious about the whole dating scene.  I look forwars to hearing from you, and thanks in advance, Rog.

There is a search box in the green banner at the top of the page which will help you connect you to other threads. There are expats in both Loja and Vilacamba and threads that are dedicated to those cities. Happy searching :)

Hello Karen, my name is Al , I'm traveling to Peru and Ecuador, will be in Cuenca in the first week of Sept. would enjoy talking to someone who is familiar with the locals , I'm a "newbe" to world traveling, I do have a cell phone , but don't know if I will get service out of the USA, my email is " [email protected]" if possible we could get together and someone showing me how to interact with the locals would be great !...Sincerely, Al

The "locals" speak Spanish. Interactions with courtesy and respect would be a good place to start just like anywhere else in the world

Absolutely !...I understand and will always respect people no matter where I am, funny it seems courtesy to me goes along way, but the California population don't understand the word or terminology, one of the reasons it' time for me to BAIL, and move on , away from these people !

Welcome to the Ecuador forum, Big Al.

To find out about Gringo events, meetups and groups in Cuenca, visit...

www.cuencahighlife.com ... www.gringopost.com ...

and www.tribelr.com , which is the GringoTree site.

I suspect you will have some great times in Ecuador's liveliest Expat-retirement city.

cccmedia in Quito

Hi....I am 63 retired male....i would like to go Salinas for a month in February.. my name is Larry and i live  in canada.......if your female and you would be interested,..here is my e-mail address,,,,XXX.....i am divorced but just want to find someone who would enjoy the travel trip in Ecuador....and take it from their..... :)

Moderated by Julien 5 years ago
Reason : for your own safety, please use the private message system to share your contact details
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
laurenceoliver wrote:

I am 63 retired male....i would like to go Salinas for a month in February.. my name is Larry and i live  in canada.......if your female and you would be interested..... i am divorced but just want to find someone who would enjoy the travel trip in Ecuador....and take it from there..... :)

Dear Larry,

Welcome to the forums of expat.com ....

A website that may provide exactly what you're looking for is www.misstravel.com ...

cccmedia

I am visiting Manta in April, 2019!
Is anyone available to show me around the area?
I am female, 62, single Canadian and taking Spanish lessons.
Looking to retire in 2021 in this area.

dltoomey wrote:

I am visiting Manta in April, 2019!
Is anyone available to show me around the area?

Dear D. Toomey,

Welcome to the Ecuador forums of expat.com ...

"Find a local to show you around" ...

That is the motto of Showaround, providing online connections to meet on-the-ground-hosts in North or South America, the coast of Ecuador and cities around the world.

Most of the hosts currently listed at the site have rates ranging from 'free' .. up to ten dollars an hour.

resource:  www.showaround.com

Try to fly down sooner for the following year's trip .. to avoid some of the Canadian winter.

cccmedia

After you visit Manta, either on the April trip or the next one, consider a visit to Cuenca.

Cuenca is probably the best place in Ecuador for a 60-something woman who would enjoy meeting other North American Expats in Ecuador.

It's historically safe .. it is historic and beautiful .. it has an improving transit system .. and it is widely regarded as a world-class retirement city.  It has more Expat-friendly  meetups, events and workshops than any other city in La República .. and probably more of such than in any other city of its size in South America.

cccmedia

thx for all the great information!

Hi, as far as I can read you seem to recommend Cuenca instead of a town or village on the coast for over 60 single women, is that correct ?

cccmedia wrote:

Cuenca is probably the best place in Ecuador for a 60-something woman who would enjoy meeting other North American Expats in Ecuador.

It's historically safe .. it is historic and beautiful .. it has an improving transit system .. and it is widely regarded as a world-class retirement city.  It has more Expat-friendly  meetups, events and workshops than any other city in La República...

cccmedia

Yes, Cuenca.  As a rule, compared to practically anywhere in Ecuador, Cuenca is ideal :top:  for an Expat of your age and gender wanting to meet other Expats.

cccmedia

Sibylleanne wrote:

you seem to recommend Cuenca instead of a town or village on the coast for over 60 single women, is that correct ?

Six reasons why...

1.  Milder weather in Cuenca than most lowlands places, especially during the hotter, drier months such as January-May.

2.  More Expat-friendly events in Cuenca.

3.  Few insects and relatively few water-borne diseases in Cuenca.

4.  Cuenca is larger than any of the Pacific Coast cities, meaning more shopping, more available to do.

5.  The beauty of Cuenca's colonial architecture.

6.  Unlike the coastal Ring of Fire, no similar history of earthquake danger in Cuenca.

cccmedia

I saw your post and noticed it was from 2011. Did you make the move to ecuador?  I'm contemplating the move and in same situation

Hi Chrisandra. My name is Carmen Ricaurte. I live in Orlando for now, but have a Villa in Pakakuna for when I go to Ecuador, where I am from.  I rent it when I get requests. I'm going to post it here.

Pakakuna is a very safe place, I go by myself, and there are some single, divorced, or widow persons that live there by themselves.

People in the town of Checa, where Pakakuna is, are very friendly. When I'm planning my trip, I call in whatsapp to the cleaning lady, that charges $25.00 , to have my villa spotless clean. Then I whatsapp a lady taxi driver that goes to pick me up from the airport. She can drive you around when you may want to go to Cumbaya, Quito or any trip.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me. My cel is ***

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you

Hello friend, my name is Maggy Ibarra I am Ecuadorian, I live in the capital in Quito. I'm 55 years old and I live alone. From experience I tell you that it is a not so dangerous city. But you should know the places where you can mobilize, schedules, and as in the whole world do not trust everyone.

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Thank you

MANTA?

Hallo, I am also a 60+ single female living in Canada. I would like to retire either to Ecuador or to Panama. Living is too expensive here and I have a small pension. Unfortunately, I just signed a 1 year lease for an expensive apartment, so I will have to wait a year before I move, but it will give me time to do my research and make the right decision.
All I want is nice weather, (I have difficulty breathing when I exert myself and take Symbicort daily), a pleasant environment and security. I love people, but I am also happy to be by myself. My hobby is writing, so I am more the loner type.
Living on my pension is very stressful. I have some savings and don't want to waste it on expensive and cold Vancouver. This is one of the main reasons I have decided to leave for another country. Another reason is being sick of the bad weather.
I am of European origin and would love to get to know people so I can ask you questions about how things are. I don't want to make a mistake. I have changed countries twice already and I still have in me one more time to emigrate to the right one, but I am not sure I could handle a disappointment and having to move back again to Canada.
Deal breaker would be unsanitary conditions, critters, diseases, political riots, locals who hate foreigners, or rude or criminal people.
I do not speak Spanish, but I have learned the two foreign languages I speak pretty easily.
I am planning to have a short trip in the next few months to see if I like it there.

Any advice is appreciated.

Eva

EveeZee wrote:

Deal breaker would be unsanitary conditions, critters, diseases, political riots, locals who hate foreigners, or rude or criminal people.

I am planning to have a short trip in the next few months to see if I like it there.
Eva

I'm afraid you will find that "unsanitary conditions, critters, diseases, political riots, locals who hate foreigners, or rude or criminal people" are all much more common in Ecuador (and most other countries including Panamá), compared to the mostly-benign Vancouver and the rest of Canada...

But it's a good idea to begin with a short trip.  You may find Cuenca, Ecuador to your liking, where your lack of Spanish language fluency will not be a big deal as there are many expats there in a similar situation.

Thank you for your reply.
I know it sounded like I am very picky, but I know what would make me unhappy. I don't have much time left. If I go, I have to like it.

EveeZee wrote:

Thank you for your reply.
I know it sounded like I am very picky, but I know what would make me unhappy. I don't have much time left. If I go, I have to like it.

If you have breathing problems,  then altitude in Ecuador could be a problem for you.

I hope I won't be judged for being honest. Maybe, I owe you an explanation on "critters". I remember I was on vacation in Mexico and in a grocery store there was a giant dead cockroach on the floor. To be confronted by things like that would spoil it for me.
I also thought of moving to Thailand and watched a video on Youtube. The guy who lives there said there is an insect that bit him and his back felt like it was on fire....
I hope I can avoid places where these things can happen.
By riots, I mean I want to live in peace and would hate circumstances like they are in certain parts of the world, even parts of Europe. Demonstrations, riots, setting cars on fire, attacking police, etc.
At my age I need a place where I can live in peace without such disturbances. I think this is understandable. The older you get the less tolerance you have for such things. I think it should be possible to live in a place where it is inexpensive, safe and clean.
Also, nowadays there are places where foreigners are not very welcome. I would hate to be singled out  or even cheated just because of my origin.
Yes, Canada is safe and great, but rents are skyrocketing and I will be paying 90% of my pension for a one bedroom apartment.

Hope this helps to understand where i am coming from :)
I would love to hear from people who have any tips for me on how to start, where to look, etc.

Thank you,
Eva

Yes, Canada 🇨🇦 is unaffordable for single seniors!!!

@EveeZee

The higher up in elevation you go in Ecuador, the less bugs  / insects you will get. However for your other points, Ecuador is a developing country and is going through a downtown where things are still bubbling beneath the surface.

There has been a 10-15 year good years, but things seem to be turning downwards. As well, you will be perceived as a rich foreigner and will be overcharged everywhere.

From what you wrote you are looking for, you probably have it all in Canada (or another western developed country.

I can understand the cost of living in Canada is  a lot, but perhaps looking into cheaper places to live would be a better suit for you?

That all said, I suppose you could plant yourself firmly within the expat world of cuenca and things may appear all rosy

Jt really seems as if you need to come down here and check it out yourself.  Go to a few places.  By all means go to Cuenca, and other places.  Only you know what makes your heart beat to a good rythym.  For example, here in Vilcabamba one of the first disturbing things was a dead cat in the gutter.  Turns out that I have only seen 2 dead cats in the gutter in four years, so that was almost a one-off.  Some places here have bugs, some have snakes.  Do you like the security of being in a safe place within a city, or do you crave nature in all its diversity and loveliness...By the way, I used to use Symbicort, and have no problems with altitude , but I only live one mile high. I had no trouble visiting Cuenca eihter, for the altitude.  I too am Canadian.  I really depends on your personality, how flexible you are, Best of luck in your explorations.
Helenp.

@HelenPivoine, Thank you for your reply. Yes, I will have to check it out for myself. Everybody has different priorities. Something that bothers me doesn't bother somebody else and vice versa.
I will take a trip, probably to Cuenca, as soon as possible.

Hi, it's me again...
I just thought I'd write down what exactly I am looking for. I'd appreciate every comment or help in achieving this goal.

As I said, I am a retired single female. I get about $1700 CDN month that is about $1250 USD. I would like to be able to rent, preferably a small house with a garden, that is safe (gated community?), clean and is in a nice environment.
It should have washing machine, dishwasher, microwave to make my life eaiser. I should be shielded from noisy neighbours, especially from families with kids. Sorry, but screaming children cause me physical pain since I got older. I am also a writer, so I need peace and quiet. I don't care if the place is in a city, as long as it i safe and quiet.
I have this dream of spending the rest of my life in a place like this, without problems caused by people or other circumstances. For this, I am willing to pay.
I want to enjoy nature and go for window shopping in the city without fear for my safety.

I appreciate any input on whether this is reasonable to expect in Ecuador and if so, where. (In case you can suggest another country where I could retire to a place like this, please let me know.)

I am planning to take a trip sometime in January to get a first impression on what I can expect, but of course, it would depend on the place where I go, so I might be missing out on important stuff.

ps. I would also be willing to work as a house sitter for free accommodation, but I am not a dog person. I love cats.

EveeZee wrote:

I get about $1700 CDN month that is about $1250 USD. I would like to be able to rent, preferably a small house with a garden, that is safe (gated community?), clean and is in a nice environment.
It should have washing machine, dishwasher, microwave to make my life eaiser. I should be shielded from noisy neighbours, especially from families with kids. Sorry, but screaming children cause me physical pain since I got older. 
I have this dream of spending the rest of my life in a place like this, without problems caused by people or other circumstances. For this, I am willing to pay.
I want to enjoy nature and go for window shopping in the city without fear for my safety.

ps. I would also be willing to work as a house sitter for free accommodation, but I am not a dog person. I love cats.

$1250/month is livable, but you might not get all the things you listed.  Noise in the name of religious freedom could be a big obstacle in many places.  There are also plenty of dogs.  Being a housesitter would make you a target, especially out of town.  Please realize that In many places the toilet paper must be disposed of separately, cannot be flushed.  Good luck in your search.

Thank you for your reply. I am not sure if part of was meant as a joke...

mugtech wrote:

$1250/month is livable, but you might not get all the things you listed.

I do have some savings, but I want to hang on to it if possible.

Noise in the name of religious freedom could be a big obstacle in many places.

I don't understand. Are people praying loud, or what ;)

There are also plenty of dogs.

Dogs don't bother me. I just don't want to care for them.

Being a housesitter would make you a target, especially out of town.

Why? If it is in a gated community, it wouldn't.

Please realize that In many places the toilet paper must be disposed of separately, cannot be flushed.

Are you serious? That is more than weird. You can't flush the soiled toilet paper? What do you do with it? Collect it in a container?