Understanding Vietnamese girls

Agreed.   But the upside is the vocal minority are on a learning curve.

Just naive.  As we all once were.   True, (some) ignorance is invincible

..but there is no cure for stupidity...      :shy

Thaiger and Bazza, seen from the intellectual level you would make a good couple.

Who do you want to insult here?
And what post is the impetus for that?

I did click on reply to the old US guy/mod.

What's scary to me is that seemingly salient, knowlegable people just repeat parrot-like the totalitarian pc/neocon/libtard garbage they have been brainwashed with for decades.

Evil commies , 1-child policy in China? Absolute lie, 90+% of Chinese overwhlmingly support both. So why does the lying, fake news western propaganda keep doggardly spreading these lies? The reason is of course, that china does not follow the neocon lies. they do not allow themselves to be raped by international capital. they r secular and nationalist. same as saddam, libya, serbia etc. there is a pattern and purpose to the lying libtard propaganda.

daring to state that people, races, cultures are different? Cant do it. not pc. hush now. tow the line or ur ex-communicated. doesnt suit global capital's agenda.

sad that so many people are brainwashed by the pc garbage propaganda. Ironically, they would happily harp on about how the poor suckers in commie countries are all brainwashed

LOL, I haven't heard rhetoric like that since I left college 50 years ago. It had about the same meaning then.

Little girls shouldn't be thrown down wells nor should they be aborted.

@Andy Passenger.  I understand your comments, but I am not saying whether I agree or disagree with customs and culture, just my experiences in hoping that others who are not from VN are given experiences they may not have experienced in helping them decide what kind of situation they may be in.  Lucky for us, we live in the USA and expecting so there will not be 1 month jail sentence for her or putting hot coals under her bed.  Funny thing, she keeps asking why we have to go to the doctor often before the baby is born (compared to VN) and of course, always ask if we need to pay.  I explained insurance to her so she is happy we don't have to pay, otherwise, she tells me she is not going back until the baby is born. LOL

I may get in trouble for this but I found something I agree with and it is pertinent to this thread.

Warning - the language is infernal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTOPkyeDsmE

A lot of truth I think in that clip.

So I am criticized for going off topic when I comment directly on the words in Diazo's post, but a rant about the veracity of female testimony on the Kavanaugh confirmation is OK.   :/

THIGV where is the rant on the testimony. Did I miss sonething? Heck, and if you got critized what happened to these other ones. My gosh this thread has gone wild. Maybe we should all chill for a moment and go back to the top and see what the thread was about.

vndreamer wrote:

Funny thing, she keeps asking why we have to go to the doctor often before the baby is born (compared to VN) and of course, always ask if we need to pay.  I explained insurance to her so she is happy we don't have to pay, otherwise, she tells me she is not going back until the baby is born. LOL

Here, too, you can go for a monthly examination.
We go every month and now in the final phase every week.
Each month 100k for the consultation, 300k for ultrasound and 200-500k for the vitamin tablets does not make me poor even without insurance.  :)

Kavanaugh at 4:33

Sorry I am viewing in a phone and post number do not appear.

@ Andy...
Yes, one can get the rather normal monthly pregnancy chechups. But this is not the norm here and most are not use to it, hence the surprise for the young mother experiencing the care in America. Even with monthly care here many tbings are not checked or concern given like that in, say  America. I think this is the case here for manifold reason, chief among them the fact most can not afford the care. But your right it is avaiable here and I have always had it. But I really have to be hands on and watch everything they do and do not do.

Diazo wrote:

THIGV where is the rant on the testimony.

At 4:45 he says "I'm sorry if I rant about this."  It is a rant by his own description. 

Can you or Jim-Minh describe to me how this video is on topic?  It certainly is not about Vietnamese women.

Jim-Minh wrote:

On topic?  Normally, I would be the last one to complain about off-topic posts but I was accused first.  People who live in glass houses....

Well the last I checked a Vietnamese women is a female, an Hungarian women is a female. Perhaps THIGV were you live where women are not females. In that case the video would not apply to the area where you live, or may confuse you. Even here in VN I think the “ Men are from Mars and women are from Venus” still follows. And this video just says about the same thing in a different way. You will notice he speaks of men also. And the men in Vietnam are all males also lest you get confused!😜😜

@ THIGV
You do realize what the original topic of the thread was? I know we got far afield. It is not about population growth in China etc. I do not know he got off on that rant.

Jim-Minh wrote:

I don't know if you're posting this because you're happy or disappointed.
Personally I hope after every message like this that the empire will soon go under and that the world can develop again free of coercion and blackmail.

Diazo wrote:

Even with monthly care here many tbings are not checked or concern given like that in, say  America.

I can't understand why you're saying this.
My experience is completely different.
I don't see much difference to examinations in the West.
- Blood count
- ultrasound
- heart rate
- vitamins

What could be better?
I was even recommended a test for trisomy 21 and other trisomies (which I rejected).
There are also controversial discussions in the West about testing (e.g. amniocentesis).

Well Andy I suspect that it is due to your lack of knowledge, and I say that with no disrespect. And you should not have to be adroit in the areaof medicine to get good care. We are rather spoiled in the West because, in general, we have highly educated DOCTORS. They follow well established protocols.
Unfortunately here we start out in a bad situation because most medical providers do not have a dictorate degree vo fered hpon them. Most care givers you will ses her only have a Bachleors degree. They cone  right out high school and into a medical degree.

There are no accredited labs here in VN. You mention tge fact that they get a CBC. But they generally never check for iron levels, and I have not cound one that even knew the nlood vhemistry machine could check for mitgers calcium levels. They will argue here that if the RBC is within range that it follows that the iron level will be good. Far far from true. I could go on in depth.
Yes, if we lack knowledge we are going to think all is well.
In fact we went to a highly rated maternity hospital for a pre-pregnancy exam and no one said a word about folic acid.
Heck you can even observe hygiene. I am always having to tell th to glove up. Then comes the argument. But in the end they glove up.
I can tell you a whole lot of medical nightmares. But I am cautious when I see a Western doctor in my own country as well.
I certainly wish that all there was to a good pregnancy is the things you cited.

The more minute the trivia; the bigger the problem

..maybe the moderators are in sleep mode...      :sleep

Diazo wrote:

Well Andy I suspect that it is due to your lack of knowledge, and I say that with no disrespect. And you should not have to be adroit in the areaof medicine to get good care. We are rather spoiled in the West because, in general, we have highly educated DOCTORS. They follow well established protocols.
Unfortunately here we start out in a bad situation because most medical providers do not have a dictorate degree vo fered hpon them. Most care givers you will ses her only have a Bachleors degree. They cone  right out high school and into a medical degree.

There are no accredited labs here in VN. You mention tge fact that they get a CBC. But they generally never check for iron levels, and I have not cound one that even knew the nlood vhemistry machine could check for mitgers calcium levels. They will argue here that if the RBC is within range that it follows that the iron level will be good. Far far from true. I could go on in depth.
Yes, if we lack knowledge we are going to think all is well.
In fact we went to a highly rated maternity hospital for a pre-pregnancy exam and no one said a word about folic acid.
Heck you can even observe hygiene. I am always having to tell th to glove up. Then comes the argument. But in the end they glove up.
I can tell you a whole lot of medical nightmares. But I am cautious when I see a Western doctor in my own country as well.
I certainly wish that all there was to a good pregnancy is the things you cited.

I always have to laugh when people who don't know me accuse me of lacking knowledge.  :lol:

I have seen the blood count and know a little about it.
My wife had already taken iron and folic acid preparations before her first visit to the hospital.
The clinic provided us with vitamin preparations right from the start.
Depending on the week of pregnancy, we were supplied with iron, folic acid, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, calcium or a special multivitamin preparations.
The growth was closely monitored by ultrasonic  (again, there are controversial discussions about how many times ultrasonic should be used).

AND, different countries different standards.
US standards are not above everything (nobody in Europe likes chlorine chickens and GM foods).

But I don't want to discuss it any further.
Because you never come to an end with biased people.

Now Bazza can provide funny entertainment again.  :lol:

And for some thise may not be needed. And at least you admit you know a LITTLE about it. And your provider might be in the same group as you. Taking  supplements does not provide you with what level there is in the body. Iron for one is one you do not want to take in excess. Calcium is something the VNese are lacking in their diet therefore they need more then a normal supplemental vitamin will provide. I accept your knowledge. But just be cautious here in VN. Unless you have a background in medicine then it is very difficult to know some things. That should not make anyone feel bad I do not think. There ate many things I lack knowldge of and I yoeld to thise that do. I do not get offended.

Actually, the typical Vietnamese diet should be quite high in Folic Acid.  Vietnamese eat far more leafy green vegetables than most westerners.   The B vitamins and zinc may be a problem but can be overcome by most urban Vietnamese women by having phở, bò khô, or bún bò instead of pork or chicken based soups.

Well you do not have to walk very many meters until you see the evidence of their high folic acid diet. She observe the number oh hair liped people out in public. I wish I could even remember the number with spinal bifada and cleft pallets. And your body will never overdose on vitamins. I hope others who read what you write do not take it to heart.

I doubt most Vietnamese have much folic acid at all. Yes, they do eat geeen leafy items that contain folate. But don't confuse tge two. Folic acid comes in a supplement form and is far more easily absorbed by the body than folate. That is why it is so difficult to get enough through diet alone.
But this all is going so far off the topic of understand Vietnamese women.

Diazo, I have no medical background, but I know a lot about healthy nutrition and health in general.

Before I moved to Vietnam more than a year ago, I had 65kg (at 172cm size) and at my last health check in my home country all values were really green (I have never been so healthy in my whole life).
I was extremely well nourished. Lots of vegetables and fruits, little meat, little alcohol (and only red wine), whole grain products, fatty fish (Omega 3), nuts, lentils, oats, chocolate with more than 75% cocoa (flavonoids), just to name a few.
The only negative was too little exercise.

After half a year in Vietnam, when I did a detailed health check at FMP, I was disillusioned.
More than 5kg weight gain, too high colesterol values, too high blood sugar values and bad liver values. I have practically never drunk alcohol and have never been in fast food chains and pizzerias. Only street food and food from my wife's mother. And many fruit smoothies and cafe sua.
Both, for streetfood and my wife's mother's food is used tons of bad oil and sugar. The meat has a lot of fat and a lot of it is fried in bad oil. Fruit Smoothies and Cafe Sua are sweetened with tons of sugar.

This makes me realize that the food in HCMC is not really healthy.

Since then we cook more ourselves, I make the fruit smoothies myself (without additional sugar) and brew the coffee myself (with only little sugar). But I can't dodge or change anything about the food of my wife's mother (there is often a dish consisting of fat meat and tons of eggs in a brown sauce).

In spring I will go to the health check again and see if my diet is better now.
Otherwise I must ajust my diet again.

Back to the topic (maybe I should open a nutrition thread  :) ).
Unfortunately my wife loves everything that is unhealthy and only likes a few vegetables. If she wouldn't have me it would be much worse.
That's why she doesn't naturally get the vitamins she needs during pregnancy (I know that vitamins from food can be better absorbed by the body than from vitamin supplements).
Therefore, vitamin supplements are a better solution than no vitamins at all.

I stand corrected about folate vs folic acid which is synthetic.  It is worth noting that one effectively cannot overdose on dietary folate but too much folic acid will not be a problem per se but can hide vitamin B-12 deficiency.

Can you guys slow down a bit, I'm having trouble cooking enough popcorn for this debate. :):joking:

Put  butter in my lopcorn . Well if you get off into B-12 deficency that is a horse of a different color andit  is rampant in Vietnam because there are so many vegetarians. B12,being animal based nutrient
But my gosh do not get this confused with Folic acid intake in a pregnant women. There is just no substitute or excuse for a women not to take folic acid, unless they are to poor.
These conversations kind of worry me for fear someone will read and follow the advice. And not that THIGV adviced anything in regards to B12.
Hell it is a damned  if you do damned if you don't I guess. My advice is to be cautious of medical care here. But what do you do if you lack the knowledge yourself. There atd some good websites folks that you can plug your pregnancy into and they will follow you along throughout the entire lrocess

You can relax Col   

We have moved from confirmation bias to repetition compulsion

Closure cannot be too far away      :huh:

Diazo wrote:

But what do you do if you lack the knowledge yourself. There atd some good websites folks that you can plug your pregnancy into and they will follow you along throughout the entire lrocess

Actually, you are the only one who always claims that nobody knows about folic acid during pregnancy.
I don't know any Expat who already has children, who wants children or is pregnant who doesn't know about folic acid.

Andy, if your using FMP then they have good people and good practices. I would suggest you get a voly of their childhokd vaccine schedule also. The VNese one lacks some vaccines. Also if she is now pregnant I would suggest she get the 2018-2019 flu vaccine that just came  out. The baby will not  be able to get the vacvine until it is 6 months old. But the mothers immunity will xfer to the child. Most VNese doctors will not be wiling to give her the vaccine. If you fight and sign a release they will. Last years flu season was particularly deadly for the little ones. But FMP will give it to her.No world body recommends against giving to a pregnant mom, just the contrary.

Really Andy. You must have a vision problem

Diazo wrote:

Andy, if your using FMP then they have good people and good practices. I would suggest you get a voly of their childhokd vaccine schedule also. The VNese one lacks some vaccines. Also if she is now pregnant I would suggest she get the 2018-2019 flu vaccine that just came  out. The baby will not  be able to get the vacvine until it is 6 months old. But the mothers immunity will xfer to the child. Most VNese doctors will not be wiling to give her the vaccine. If you fight and sign a release they will. Last years flu season was particularly deadly for the little ones. But FMP will give it to her.No world body recommends against giving to a pregnant mom, just the contrary.

No flu vaccination. I do what the clinic recommends.

Are these recommendations from the USA? You think the American way is the best.

The data speak a different language.

Number of neonatal deaths (thousands) 2017:
USA: 15
Vietnam: 17
Western Europe: <1
http://apps.who.int/gho/data/view.main.CM1320N?lang=en

Do you notice anything?
The USA is not much better than Vietnam in terms of the number of neonatal deaths.
So why should I listen to you?

The commonality of the US and Vietnam is probably not medical knowledge but the fact that both countries require people to shell out hard earned money for neonatal care.  Most countries in Europe practice some form of socialized medicine or arrive at universal coverage some other way.  I expect very few European women are paying for neonatal care

THIGV wrote:

The commonality of the US and Vietnam is probably not medical knowledge but the fact that both countries require people to shell out hard earned money for neonatal care.  Most countries in Europe practice some form of socialized medicine or arrive at universal coverage some other way.  I expect very few European women are paying for neonatal care

Perhaps you are right.
In Europe, many people have health insurance, but it also has to be paid for.
But the purchasing power in the USA isn't so bad (compared to Vietnam) that people couldn't afford neonatal care.

Sorry guys but you have gone way off topic and turned this thread to utter dribble. What has the last page or so got to do with the original OP topic?

I am a German. In Germany people are forced to be medical insured. Despite being forced, there are still a lot of people not insured at all or well below ot that, what they should have, as they simply can't afford the premiums.
However, nobody can be legally rejected from medical care at a minimum. In a lot hardship cases, some social organization will fund at least a loan.
Medical doctors in Germany have to swear the Hippocratic Oath, so they are obliged to care at at least at a minimum.
I am not sure, how far any cover will go, but it will be a lot less than private insurance

Side note: Failure to provide assistance in emergencies/accidents can be legally punished, also for normal civilians (in Germany)

I have to say that the professionalism in Viet Nam is lacking. I have had doctors in small provincial cities tell me to F-off because I questioned their techniaues. Never in 45 years did I get that response in my home country.