Maternity care addis ababa

Hi,

I am living in Addis at the moment and just found out I'm pregnant. If it's possible I would like to stay in Ethiopia to give birth, but Im wondering at the quality of medical care. Has anyone else been through this experience? or has some knowledge and can offer me advice?

Thanks very much,

Faye.

Hi Faye, welcome to Expat-blog! :)

Hope other members will give you info about maternity care in Addis Ababa very soon.

I wish you good luck and congratulation.
Christine

there is a German midwife, who has helped deliver babies to two of my German friends in Addis, and apparently it was very professional and it went really smoothly
here is the information form the  Welcome to Addis guide from the international community school

Dr. Mekonnen (of Addis Maternity and Children's Hospital) is considered by many to be the
best, but there is huge waiting list. Make appointments two months in advance. 011-124-5345 or 011-124-5348. To get to Addis Maternity and Children Hospital go to Arat Kilo roundabout, drive east onto the Queens Road. Don't follow the newly built road, but cross it and take the Getachew Haile Street to the north. You will find the clinic after 300m on the left.
Nigina Muntean. Swedish Clinic. 011-271-0768.

Regina Abelt. Very experienced German midwife. Knows a lot about homeopathy as well.
0911-225-300.

http://www.icsaddis.edu.et/admissions/moving-addis

Kadisco hospital also has a very good ob/gyn section - they are next to Gerji Sunshine condominiums, taxis know them

I am expat married to an ethiopian and we are going to dr mekonnen and he seems good but even with an appointment it can take 4 hours to get seen ..his hospital looks fairly basic by western standard and i think in complications situation you go to korean hospital.

Does anyone know about ante natal classes ..my wife is 7 months+ pregnant so maybe we are little late or we should get some private classes from the german midwife ?

Hello,
I come with more questions than answers as I am also looking at maternity and antenatal care in Addis. Do anyone now about the possibility to have a triple test done in addis?
Thanks

you may check arisho or the above hospitals

Thought this may be useful information for anyone seeking prenatal services etc.

Well Kadisco Hospital offers prenatal classes for couples and individually. Couples sessions are 10am and individual sessions at 2pm, you may want to call the hospital in advance.
Kadisco Maternity Hospital offers a range of maternity services and with several friends who have delivered there it comes recommended. I would recommend Dr Ibrahim who is known for her ability to handle complicated deliveries and Nurse Regina Albet who is a seasoned mid-wife. They also have good pediatricians there as well.

The Korean Christian Hospital also offers prenatal and maternity services and as a larger hospital there are other facilities/equipment readily accessible for any complications - they have an ICU unit. They have a team of well trained Doctors Ethiopian and visiting Doctors from Korea, USA and other countries.

There is also the new Viking Clinic where many of the Swedish Doctors have joined. Though it is newly started they have a team of seasoned Doctors trained in various countries.

Those are the three hospitals I explored but please find other hospitals below:

Other Maternity Hospitals

Brass Mother And Child Health Hospital +251 1 16 632 031

Besegah Mother and Child Health Hospitals

Addis Maternity and children hospital 011 245 5345
Indira Ghandi Hospital

Hamlin Hospital hamlinfistula.org/our-hospital.html

Hello wmburathi,

Welcome on the forum of Addis Ababa and thank you for sharing this information. Unfortunately, this thread has not been active since the year 2011. You can however participate in the more recent threads found on the Addis Ababa forum or even create a new thread yourself.

Shaazia
Expat.com Team