Developing a small aquaponic system

I was in Hoi An a few months ago and loved the area so much that I am thinking about moving there. Although I don't really have to work anymore, I like the idea of developing a small aquaponic system raising Tilapia, freshwater prawns and vegetables. I will probably be back there in September with the intent of looking for possible locations for that purpose. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to Expat.com JimB22

Your post has been introduced in a new thread in Hoi An forum for more visibility.

Regards

Hi JimB22,
Pls specific what you need for that. How big area? any special request? ...There're beautiful place for you project in the countryside of Hoi An. I am here to help you.
Mr.Nice

Thank you Mr Nice. I may be a bit misunderstood in that starting up an aquaponic system would be secondary to learning about living in Hoi An. However I will be asking you questions about my interest in developing a small business.But let me do a bit of research with information this site offers so that I don't ask questions that have answers available here.

Dear Jim
I have land that we could build such a pond on. Total 700+m2 but pond would have to be a couple of hundred m2. Has water nearby.
Nick

Mmmm ... Abbotsford ... British Columbia ... Aquaponics < www.backyardaquaponics.com > ... BC Bud ... Happiness (a natural thought flow)!

Actually aquaponics is here in VN already. < http://www.louisianaweekly.com/aquaponi … community/ >, < http://www.dellchallenge.org/projects/a … cs-vietnam >. So likely some supplies are available.

You might also consider growing organic foods seeing how the bona fides of organics is somewhat dubious in VN.

Just make sure whatever pond/land you use is above the August-November flood lines in Hoi An region - they can stretch several miles/kilometres in land.

Hello JimB22,

and now comes the nasty one (answer).

As much as your project is a good idea, there will be huge hurdles prior the first harvest

Issues will include like visa/residency, work permit next to, that foreigner can't or are permitted to certain kind of businesses as well as some climatic condition (storms and flood waters).
Quite likely, you have to "share" land usage rights and ownerships, you 0% and the partner has the 100%, in best case for you 49% to 51% (on the papers).

The many positive responses above might be related to the smell of money. Yes, you ca buy here everything, but make sure you own it.

This is not really to piss you off, but see it advise that much homework needs to be done prior such step.

l3ully wrote:

Hello JimB22,

and now comes the nasty one (answer).

As much as your project is a good idea, there will be huge hurdles prior the first harvest.

Farmers will rent you land ... gets around one of the bigger challenges.

There's a French guy farming in Phan Thiet and has a roaring business.

P.S. Heard about the rain - this season has just started.
http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/vietnamese/sites/default/files/imagecache/ra_article_feature/images/2012/07/31/1%20nth%20korea%20flood%2031.7.12-1.jpg

This is a picture of last weeks floods