Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens: Mindanao Security Situation

The U.S. Embassy cautions U.S. citizens that there is an ongoing conflict between terrorist groups and Philippine Security Forces in Marawi City, Mindanao.  Media reports suggest that there are multiple dead and injured.  On May 23, 2017, the Philippine government declared martial law throughout the Mindanao region for ...

Read More Here
{source: US Dept of State}

New warning posted by the US Dept of State - US Embassy, Manila Philippines-
Sun May 28, 2017

US Embassy Warning:

[email protected]
Today at 12:37 PM

United States Embassy Manila, Philippines
Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Possible Check Points in Metro Manila
May 28, 2017

THE EMBASSY OF THE UNITED STATES IS TRANSMITTING THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION THROUGH THE EMBASSY WARDEN SYSTEM AS A PUBLIC SERVICE TO U.S. CITIZENS IN THE PHILIPPINES. PLEASE DISSEMINATE THIS MESSAGE TO ALL U.S. CITIZENS IN YOUR ORGANIZATION OR NEIGHBORHOOD.

The U.S. Embassy has received information that the Philippine government has placed the Philippine National Police (PNP) on full alert throughout metropolitan Manila. A unit of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) has been deployed to Quezon city to assist the PNP with security operations. The AFP will assist in implementing random checkpoints, security patrols, and police visibility operations. The PNP advises that this is a pre-cautionary measure in light of the declaration of Martial law in Mindanao and not related to any specified terror threat information directed towards metro-Manila.

The U.S. Embassy wishes to remind U.S. citizens of the most recent Worldwide Caution, dated March 6, 2017, which indicates there is an ongoing threat of terrorist actions and violence against U.S. citizens and interests abroad, including the Philippines. Extremists have targeted sporting events, theaters, markets, mass transportation systems–including airlines, and other public venues where large crowds gather. Crowded nightclubs, shopping malls, buses and popular restaurants have also been targets. U.S. citizens should be mindful of the importance of taking preventative measures to ensure their safety and security while traveling and residing in the Philippines.

Regards
Navajo52

Most think it will never happen to them .....until it does.   Then they scream for help after they ignored the Embassy suggestions, dont listen then u should be on your own.   A US embassy guy said it well when he said " it is not our smartest that continue to live down there."    Remember you are not  Filipino!  When they want to cut off a head they will be looking for the pale faces Foreigner.  Good luck!

Mike, you hit the nail right on the head on all counts. There are many, many places to live here that are safe and without problems (so far).
There is simply no point in sticking your neck out or worse yet, for our or anybody's military to try to perform a dangerous rescue.

Navajo52

Isis cuts off Filipino heads just as fast. especially if they are known non Muslims.

The chances are if you are killed it won't be by   isis  in the Philippines no matter where your at,look at the number killed by Muslim terriorst than look at the number killed by.other means in the Philippines, gated subdivisions are not as safe as you may think

Ref the US Embassy Warning:  ACSManilaMascot[at]state.gov
Today at 12:37 PM
United States Embassy Manila, Philippines
Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Possible Check Points in Metro Manila
May 28, 2017

This warning was put out for all the Philippines and dissimulated in local areas.  There was intelligence gathered that indicate that Terrorist were going to hi jack a petrol (gasoline for my USA and Philippine friends) tanker or a LNG or LPG tanker and drive it to a populated area (shopping mall, church etc.) and then exploded it.  It was meant to happen on the 1st of July.  Not saying that it will still not happen.

At least we are not in Chicago, 40 killed this last weekend

And who created terrorists ??? Oh well ...

Why people compare a Country with 20+ heavily armed organized militant groups to the US is beyond comprehension.

Not compare, but relate . Why ? Because US has sponsored most of militants directly or indirectly   just take Libya or Syria as examples or firmer Yugoslavia. Who supported rebels to overthrow the legitimate government? Who supported Georgia , Ukraine and opposed Cyprus installation of S300 in 1990s ? Who has military bases all over the globe ? Now , how many military bases does China have or Russia outside their respective territories ? So who is the aggressor here ?

I was talking about dead people in Chicago, not Worldwide geopolitics. This is what happens when you get into a dispute with a Filipino here:

https://philippineslifestyle.com/blog/2 … om-family/

Than go home if you don't like Filipinos

Huh? Who said anything about not liking Filipinos?

Please get this topic back on point.

I agree. My point is that there is a big difference between "feeling" safe or "thinking" you are safe, as opposed to actually being safe.

While I can't disagree with some of your assertions, the US is very seldom an aggressor, especially compared to China and Russia.  The presence of a military base is not a sign of aggression.  The US does protect it's interests and allies, though.  If you disagree, please tell me where the US has expanded it's territory with it's aggression?

I noted that this topic had got a quote, which is currently under review, however it did make me do some of my own research, where I found this article from the Sun Start Davao, yes it is dated 19th of Sept, 2018, but still may of relevance to some people.

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1765348

Davao Region placed under threat level 3
September 19, 2018

DAVAO Region has been placed under terrorism threat level 3 due to the prevailing security situation in neighboring region.

Philippine Army 1003rd Brigade commander Brigadier General Ernesto Torres told reporters on Wednesday, September 19, that Davao region's threat level was raised to Level 3, citing a strong possibility of terror attacks within a short period of time due to reports of bombings, plans of the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG), remnants of the Maute Group and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) and the kidnap for ransom groups.

Based on the legend of terrorism threat level, Level 1 means low, Level 2 is moderate, level 3 is high and the highest is Level 4 which is categorized as extremely high.

“We are on high threat level on matters of terrorism,” Torres said. This threat level was assigned because of the series of incidents in central Mindanao to include the series of bombings in Region 12.

With the threat level, they are also boosting their security efforts to thwart possible spillover of the atrocities in other regions.

“If you are asking on the proportionality on the threat level and our preparation, we're always one step higher. If the threat level is one, our security preparation is 2 and so on and so forth because we would like to be one step ahead as much as possible with the plans and the activities being undertaken by the terrorists and the insurgents,” Torres said.

He likewise assured that on their part, they are not letting their guards down to ensure that terrorist groups will not enter the region to sow terror in coordination with other law enforcement agencies.

“We are assuring the people with the needed collaboration, Davao City will be safe for everybody,” he said.

Despite the high threat level in Davao Region, Torres said the region is currently generally peaceful.

pej1111 wrote:

I noted that this topic had got a quote, which is currently under review,

Perhaps I could request we keep politics off the forum, please. :)

The subject is terrorist threats, something of obvious and genuine concern to expats in that region, but purely political posts are only going to cloud the issue at hand, hence the post you mentioned being removed.

Understood.
Thank you

Fred wrote:
pej1111 wrote:

The subject is terrorist threats, something of obvious and genuine concern to expats in that region, but purely political posts are only going to cloud the issue at hand, hence the post you mentioned being removed.

Sorry Fred, didn't think I was being political.  I have read my post many times and still cant see any political statement or intent in it.

If you feel something is political the best way to manage it, and so the topic stays on topic, is to report it to admin.  This can be done by using the report button near the post.

pej1111 wrote:
Fred wrote:
pej1111 wrote:

Sorry Fred, didn't think I was being political.  I have read my post many times and still cant see any political statement or intent in it.

If you feel something is political the best way to manage it, and so the topic stays on topic, is to report it to admin.  This can be done by using the report button near the post.

Not your post; the post you mentioned. :)

I live in Davao and it's super safe.  Stay off the West coast of Mindanao with an American passport and you'll be fine

Cebu City, Philippines – A businessman survived an ambush that took place in Barangay Alang Alang, Mandaue City February 20, 2019.

According to Senior Superintendent Julian Entoma, director of the Mandaue City Police Station (MCPO), the  businessman and his wife, who was with him, were unharmed as the bullets only hit Denero's car.

Entoma said the suspects, based on the accounts of witnesses , fled on board a motorcycle.

MissionHopeCebu wrote:

Cebu City, Philippines – A businessman survived an ambush that took place in Barangay Alang Alang, Mandaue City February 20, 2019.

According to Senior Superintendent Julian Entoma, director of the Mandaue City Police Station (MCPO), the  businessman and his wife, who was with him, were unharmed as the bullets only hit Denero's car.

Entoma said the suspects, based on the accounts of witnesses , fled on board a motorcycle.

Better to add the source

https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/2180 … ndaue-city

As this thread is based on a possible terrorist threat, it's worth mentioning the above attack is being investigated as a sour business relationship ... very sour if that theory proves accurate.

I have noted here that some people believe Davao is safe.

As someone else has pointed out here before there is a difference between feeling safe and being safe.  People in Davao feel safe.

To recap 3 levels of security:
* Personal security - Robbing, mugging   (Wrong place wrong time)
* Radom associated public acts of violence (Bombings, not targeted at an individual)
* Kidnap targeted attack on a foreigner

My belief is the Davao as a city still subject, at a higher rate than the other areas such as Cebu and Manila etc, in regards to Radom associated pubic acts of violence.  There are still security check points around the cities outline access roads.

I note that Government issued on the Sept the 19th, 2018 the following

Davao Region placed under threat level 3
September 19, 2018

DAVAO Region has been placed under terrorism threat level 3 due to the prevailing security situation in neighboring region.

Philippine Army 1003rd Brigade commander Brigadier General Ernesto Torres told reporters on Wednesday, September 19, that Davao region's threat level was raised to Level 3, citing a strong possibility of terror attacks within a short period of time due to reports of bombings, plans of the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG), remnants of the Maute Group and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) and the kidnap for ransom groups.

Based on the legend of terrorism threat level, Level 1 means low, Level 2 is moderate, level 3 is high and the highest is Level 4 which is categorized as extremely high.

I gather the government has reached a peace deal with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, that making me wonder why people are scared of MILF - a badly chosen acronym for a group trying to sound scary.

Please understand there are numerous "groups? operating in Mindanow, and some of these have sub groups and splinter groups.

This article was posted in Davao News just 19 hours ago:

A unit of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters. MindaNews file photo by FERDINANDH CABRERA
COTABATO CITY (MindaNews/12 March) – At least 3,295 families or around 16,000 individuals have been displaced by fighting between the military and members of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) in several villages of Maguindanao since Monday, Raisa Jajurie, Minister of Social Services of the Bangsamoro Region said.
The number is based on those now camping in Shariff Saidona, Shariff Aguak and Datu Salibo towns and does not include those who evacuated in Datu Saudi Ampatuan and Datu Piang towns, Jajurie said.
MGen Cirilito Sobejana, commander of Joint Task Force Central Mindanao said the military launched “surgical” air and ground assaults against BIFF encampments.
He advised the residents to stay inside the evacuation centers as clashes were still raging.
The military operation in Maguindanao had resulted in the death of eight BIFF members and one soldier from the 6th Infantry Division and the wounding of another soldier, he said.
Sobejana identified six of the BIFF casualties as Kumander Pegka, Karim Binua, Munir Madsal, Gani Lanti, Bukari Samad and Sanday Musib.
Clashes started in Barangay Inaladan, Shariff Saydona Mustapha town and spread to other areas after the BIFF sent reinforcement to their distressed comrades, he said.
Fighter jets, attack helicopters and howitzers bombarded first the location of Shiek Esmael Abdulmalik a.k.a. Abu Torayfie killing six of his men, he added.
Civil society and local nongovernment organizations like the Uniphyl-Women headed by Noraida Abo have been assisting the evacuees since Monday night.
“We were so concerned for others who have not evacuated last night from their homes as the military imposed closure of road connecting Datu Piang and Datu Saudi towns,” Abo said.
Since Monday night the military has been receiving reports of roadside bombings and attacks on their detachments.
Abu Amir, spokesperson of BIFF Karialan faction told MindaNews they were just forced to fight back after the soldiers entered their communities in Barangay Libutan.
“We are not attacking them as we are just observing a ‘wait and see' [stance] of the newly installed Bangsamoro Region but we have to fight back once attacked,” he said.
But the military claimed the BIFF, which has reportedly pledged allegiance to the  ISIS , last week carried out attacks that killed five soldiers in Cotabato City and Maguindanao.
Meanwhile, in Barangay Calaludan, Pagayawan, Lanao del Sur clashes on Monday between the military and the ISIS-inspired group led by Abu Dar left two soldiers from the 55th Infantry Battalion and one militant dead, BGen Romeo Brawner Jr., commander of the 103rd Infantry Brigade said.
As of Tuesday, clashes in Lanao del Sur and Maguindanao continued to erupt.
Bangsamoro Chief Minister Al Haj Ebrahim Murad was scheduled to hold a Regional Peace and Order Council on Tuesday to tackle the region's security concerns. (Ferdinandh Cabrera/MindaNews)

Since I have been travelling in Philippines since mid 90s, and been living here in Mindanao since last 3 years having a business in Surigao del Sur and frequently riding my motorbike all over the eastern part of Mindanao, from Surigao City in the north down to Davao in the south, I must say this part is the safest part of Asia I have been...and far safer and secure than Manila, Cebu and AC and many other parts of Philippines...but hey, it is ok if you don't want to come here...it keeps this place 'nice'...