Naturalisation and citizenship in Honduras

Hello everyone,

What are the requirements for acquiring citizenship in Honduras? For example, length of residence, language requirements, employment etc..

What formalities are involved in the process?

What is the policy on dual-citizenship in Honduras? Do you have to give up your former nationality?

What are the advantages and benefits of acquiring Honduran citizenship, in your opinion?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

I believe that to acquire Honduran citizenship you must be married to a Honduran citizen, or have children who are of Honduran citizenship. A non Central American or Spaniard must reside in Honduras for at least three years.

I have never known anyone to obtain Honduran citizenship, although I believe the process would be lengthy and costly.

Advantages may occur if you plan on purchasing land, although Honduran residency would suffice for that. You would not have to renew your residency every four years.

http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/wscl … DURAS.html

I see no advantage to being a citizen in Honduras.

Residency will be sufficient.

However, not many advantages even with residency.

Country is not tuned in to the advantages of attracting foreign retirees and their money.

Other central American countries have taken advantage of retirees(Panama , Costa Rica etc.)
Would be a boost to economy.
Also, no effort has ever been made to attract tourism to a country that has so much beauty
to offer tourists.

Mind set is not in tune for its citizens improvement.

I do agree that more should be done to attract retirees. Residency avoids the cost and inconvenience of leaving the country every three months and allows an individual the right to purchase land.

What would the cost/requirements for residency be?  What is the length of time before it's granted?

You can email me at [email protected] to find out which atty takes your money and does not follow through, uncharges and then leaves you without something workable.  I'm not allowed to post that info on this forum, but everyone should know how to avoid being ripped off in Roatan.

Thanks,. It's not just the attorneys who will take your money and leave you with an unfinished job.  I've learned not to put out any money in advance in Honduras your just asking for trouble.  That said, sometimes you have no choice.  That's why I would recommend that you buy into a development that caters to expats instead of trying to do a construction job on your own.  You'll pay a premium but you'll save yourself a lot of headaches.

How does one stay in Honduras without residency or citizenship?

I have lived in Honduras since 2004. Married my Honduran wife in 2007, filed for residency. 2 years gone by no resolution to my residency. hired another lawyer, he run us all over the country with him introducing us to the mayor and migracion people, (yes it is called migracion here not immigration as in the states.) turns out he is a shyster. Hired another lawyer, another shyster who managed to get my temporary residency card, come to find out a migracion employee split the 1200 dollar fine i paid migracion with the so called lawyer, and to try and cover their tracks , deleted me off the computer and trashed my paper files. that was up till 2012. now all if my original papers that i had to obtain were trashed by those shysters. I only had copies that don't count and original temporary residency papers with migracion signatures and stamps to prove i went through the process.
  So I wind up at Migracion office at  Tegucigalpa and they could not find any files on me and said i was in Honduras illegally ! so I pulled out the temporary permit with their signatures and stamps on it. then i got a " Oh we may have to do an investigation"
  So now after 13 years here 10 years married to a Honduran this issue is still not resolved. I now have no drivers license (i previously has my driver's license for 44 years) because my honduran license run out and they will not renew them till i get my residency again. So the police stop my wife and I in a road check and give me a ticket for expired license. now I have to go see Migracion office once a month and pay them $20. February this year has 28 days I made the mistake of thinking it had 29 because that is what it had last year. So for that inexcusable blunder Migracion fined me $170 dollars!!
  I could go on and on, but i think you can see how it is here, and I have seen some people have no trouble at all. Wishing i was one of the lucky ones. I feel like the system here is parasitic. Welcome to honduras :)