Naturalisation and citizenship in Dominican Republic

Hello everyone,

What are the requirements for acquiring citizenship in Dominican Republic? For example, length of residence, language requirements, employment etc..

What formalities are involved in the process?

What is the policy on dual-citizenship in Dominican Republic? Do you have to give up your former nationality?

What are the advantages and benefits of acquiring Dominican citizenship, in your opinion?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

This has been discussed in detail and in fact there is an entire thread dedicated to this subject.  Repeating all that information again may not be really helpful

Bob K

Actually Bob that is residencia not citizenship.

That being said residencia IS the first step. No matter what "route" you take residencia is first.

Dual citizenship is not an issue here.

I have thought of it and plan to get it.

The easiest way is by marrying a Dominican. Another way is via temporary residencia, renewal, permanemt residencia then application for naturalization. Its a long process and is granted by presidential decree.

A year or more ago the program was started called regularization for people who were in the country without residency and overstaying their visa.  It referred to people there since 2011 if I remember correctly.   So I filled out the initial paperwork for the regularization and have a stamp in my USA passport good until some date in July 2017. What it did do for me was when I left the Dom Rep last October I didn't have to pay any overstay fee.  But when I looked into going any further with it I was baffled. All the things they asked for were beyond me.  I contacted a local lawyer and was told that the process would cost me about $2500 over a 3 year period as well as more after that. Living on less than $1000 per month I decided against t.  I am now in Medellin Colombia, where i swore i would nunca return.

That isnt citizenship.  That was and is a one time program to get many hundreds of people legal.

As I understand it you will need to renew residencia and it does not need to cost that much. Private message me.

Hi there! How is Columbia working out for you? I understand the Dollar goes a lot further.

WIlliam