Please Help Me With Family Life In Riyadh

Hi All,

I am Nitesh Panicker & i have recently been offered a job in Riyadh in a salary of around 15k SAR. Please help me with following queries so that i plan to bring my family accordingly

1. What will be my monthly expenses considering a 2BHK flat (including rent, transport, electricity, DTH, Mobile, kid's schooling etc)?
2. Is it safe to stay in Riyadh with family coz i will be coming with my wife & daughter (6yrs in age)?
3. What are the good places to look for staying in Riyadh with family?
4. Hows the social life in Riyadh & hanging around with family etc?
5. What restrictions will i have to face + what precautions i need to be mentally prepared of "before hand"

** Any other suggestions / advice / info will be of great help. Looking forward to your support please "dears" :))

Hi

1) 25000sr would get you a decent 2 bed apartment, but depends on the area.  Bill are very cheap, gas will cost you tops £15 in a year, most of the time your using ac, even that I'd cheap, roughly are 300sr. Sorry you can convert in £

2) it's safe but still don't allow wife to travel alone in local taxi, you can find a private driver and give him 600-1000sr a month and he can take you around, or use uber, that's quite safe

3) look for a good area, with shopping malls and parks nearby

4) in the beginning it's going to be boring, but once you do, then you will start enjoying saudi, there's many different types of restaurants, you can join expat groups, you can go swimming, play indoor football or pool etc

5) trust me you will see a big culture shock, the Saudi themselves are quite nice towards you, I mean the local people you will see around you, but from my experience I found that when they had enough of your services they don't care about morals, they will try to get rid of you, it'd their way or the high way, my students are always welcoming and nice, they always invite me to their house for dinner etc. But it's little things that will annoy you, like at work they might send an email saying your finishing at 5 today and not 4, or we need you to come in on a Saturday for couple of hours etc.

Hope this helped

Thanks a lot ShamUK, it really helped :)

Dear Nitish Panicker
Good Afternoon
I am also new in Riyadh. I had been shifted here on 20th April 2017.

1. 2BHK Flat will cost you around  SAR 30K Annually. But my opinion is to have Furnished Studio Apartment as I did. But Schooling will be separate. Indian International School is at Khurais Road Cross Khalid Bin Waleed Street.
2. King Abdullah Park, Riyadh Zoo, Khurais Mall, Qasr Mall, Nakheel Mall, etc.
4. Social life depends upon you. Mostly people are not having time except weekends. You may be connected with your like minded Fellows alonwith families and make your own programs like BBQ, etc.
5. Bring your wife in  Black Simple Abaya, Don't move to deserted places in late ours, Don't argue with Arabs, Don't put your nose in fights or quarrels, etc. and enjoy your life.

Nothing else, Just Come and do your work honestly. Allah will help you to manage. Good Luck

Thanks a lot Arif sir, can you please let me know 2 things as well:

1. How much will a studio apartment (fully furnished 2BHK as you suggest) will cost me monthly?
2. How much can i save per month (in SAR) from my salary of 15K SAR including my daily expenses as well as my Kid's schooling etc?

Awaiting your response sir :)